Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates
Author Message
 Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates

I'm very new to computers and the few classes available in
my area didn't cover this Please answer someone
Thanx

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:11:51 GMT
 Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates
What type of updates ?  Norton Def updates -- no dont disable, upgrading from 2002 to
2003 yes disable

: I'm very new to computers and the few classes available in
: my area didn't cover this Please answer someone
: Thanx

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:43:50 GMT
 Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates
When Installing Microsoft updates always disable... or else you may end up
with a  corrupted installation......I prefer to disable when installing any
program myself...after I have scanned it for Viruses of course!..Obviously
theres no need to disable Norton when installing Norton updates
RVC

Quote:
> What type of updates ?  Norton Def updates -- no dont disable, upgrading
from 2002 to
> 2003 yes disable

> : I'm very new to computers and the few classes available in
> : my area didn't cover this Please answer someone
> : Thanx

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:24:45 GMT
 Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates

Quote:

> I'm very new to computers and the few classes available in
> my area didn't cover this Please answer someone

I believe the Microsoft Windows Update site suggests disabling
anti-virus software. If so, that would be the safest option.

However, I have never done so, nor has anyone else here that
I know of, and we have a lot of people doing Windows Updates
on a lot of different types of computers...all of which run
Norton.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/runsafe

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:37:40 GMT
 Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates
I agree... it's probably not a bad idea to disable antivirus temporarily
when installing Microsoft updates, but I never do, and if you forget, it's
probably no big deal.  When installing software from other sources on the
internet, I would consider leaving it enabled.

If you have any problems with antivirus enabled, you can usually uninstall,
disable antivirus and reinstall.  I believe you'd know immediately during
the install if the antivirus was causing a problem, you'd get an alert.

Quote:

> > I'm very new to computers and the few classes available in
> > my area didn't cover this Please answer someone

> I believe the Microsoft Windows Update site suggests disabling
> anti-virus software. If so, that would be the safest option.

> However, I have never done so, nor has anyone else here that
> I know of, and we have a lot of people doing Windows Updates
> on a lot of different types of computers...all of which run
> Norton.

> --
> Gary Flynn
> Security Engineer - Technical Services
> James Madison University

> Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.
> http://www.jmu.edu/computing/runsafe

---

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:06:01 GMT
 Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates

Gary and Karl
I think it would be fair to say that Guys like yourselves would be far more
diligent in regards to PC habits and maintenance? thus greatly lessening the
possibility of a corrupted installation under almost all circumstances

 For the inexperienced and less diligent I have seen many corrupted or at
the very least faulty installations of programs and Microsoft updates which
after some investigation could only have been attributed or at the very
least exacerbated by having an AV program enabled during an install.

It may very well be AV software dependent? as some may be more aggressive
than others..however from my experience Norton has been the worst offender
in this regard.
Cheers
 RVC

Quote:

> > I'm very new to computers and the few classes available in
> > my area didn't cover this Please answer someone

> I believe the Microsoft Windows Update site suggests disabling
> anti-virus software. If so, that would be the safest option.

> However, I have never done so, nor has anyone else here that
> I know of, and we have a lot of people doing Windows Updates
> on a lot of different types of computers...all of which run
> Norton.

> --
> Gary Flynn
> Security Engineer - Technical Services
> James Madison University

> Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.
> http://www.jmu.edu/computing/runsafe

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:38:19 GMT
 Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates

Well, I suppose this could happen if the antivirus was set to try to
automatically clean without giving any alert.  But otherwise I would
normally not expect the antivirus to cause a problem without giving a clear
indication that it was blocking a particular file due to a suspected virus.

Quote:
> Gary and Karl
> I think it would be fair to say that Guys like yourselves would be far
more
> diligent in regards to PC habits and maintenance? thus greatly lessening
the
> possibility of a corrupted installation under almost all circumstances

>  For the inexperienced and less diligent I have seen many corrupted or at
> the very least faulty installations of programs and Microsoft updates
which
> after some investigation could only have been attributed or at the very
> least exacerbated by having an AV program enabled during an install.

> It may very well be AV software dependent? as some may be more aggressive
> than others..however from my experience Norton has been the worst offender
> in this regard.
> Cheers
>  RVC

> > > I'm very new to computers and the few classes available in
> > > my area didn't cover this Please answer someone

> > I believe the Microsoft Windows Update site suggests disabling
> > anti-virus software. If so, that would be the safest option.

> > However, I have never done so, nor has anyone else here that
> > I know of, and we have a lot of people doing Windows Updates
> > on a lot of different types of computers...all of which run
> > Norton.

> > --
> > Gary Flynn
> > Security Engineer - Technical Services
> > James Madison University

> > Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.
> > http://www.jmu.edu/computing/runsafe

---

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 06:16:53 GMT

1. Dyalog vs Norton Anti-virus

2. Clarion, RPM and Norton Anti-Virus

3. Beware CW4 and Norton Anti virus 2001

4. ** WARNING ** Norton Anti Virus DEBUGer bug

5. norton anti virus renewal time?

6. How do I start Norton Anti Virus?

7. Norton Anti-Virus 2002

8. Norton Anti-Virus program