is SULFNBK.EXE a virus?
Author Message
 is SULFNBK.EXE a virus?

I have received a message from an unsolicited source.  It refers to a file
called SULFNBK.EXE, which it says contains a virus that will become active
14 days after it comes to one's computer "by any email" (whatever that
means).

I found a file by that name in c:\windows\command, bearing a date of
6\19\98.  It is 44 kb in size.

What should I make of this unsolicited warning.  Is SULFNBK.EXE  a true
Windows 98 file and the message a hoax, or not?

Thomas Bartlett
Melbourne, Australia

Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:40:21 GMT
 is SULFNBK.EXE a virus?
Hi,
See http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99084
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;FR;q301316
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mag.html
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html
1. This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe files.

3. If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from the C:\Windows\Command folder and want to know how to restore the file:
    1. Click 'Start' and then click 'Run'.
    2. Type msconfig and then press Enter.
    3. Click Extract Files. The "Extract one file from installation disk" dialog box appears.
    4. In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type the following, and then click Start:

    c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

    NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different location, make the appropriate substitution.

    The Extract File dialog box appears.

    5. Next to the "Restore from" box, click Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows installation files. If they were copied to the hard drive, this is, by default, C:\Windows\Options\Install. You can also insert the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and browse to that location.
    6. Click OK and follow the prompts.
--
Joshua : God is Savior
Psalm 119:174

Quote:

> I have received a message from an unsolicited source.  It refers to a file
> called SULFNBK.EXE, which it says contains a virus that will become active
> 14 days after it comes to one's computer "by any email" (whatever that
> means).

> I found a file by that name in c:\windows\command, bearing a date of
> 6\19\98.  It is 44 kb in size.

> What should I make of this unsolicited warning.  Is SULFNBK.EXE  a true
> Windows 98 file and the message a hoax, or not?

> Thomas Bartlett
> Melbourne, Australia

Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:26:38 GMT
 is SULFNBK.EXE a virus?
Don't worry.  This is a Win file so don't delete it.  However, please
scan your file with either Norton or McAfee.  I did; it showed
nothing.  For further info, please check recent postings.

Just grow up, that irresponsible and incompetent idiot who sent the
message.

From,
Ted.

Quote:
> I have received a message from an unsolicited source.  It refers to a file
> called SULFNBK.EXE, which it says contains a virus that will become active
> 14 days after it comes to one's computer "by any email" (whatever that
> means).

> I found a file by that name in c:\windows\command, bearing a date of
> 6\19\98.  It is 44 kb in size.

Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:23:07 GMT

1. SULFNBK.exe - virus?

2. Virus: SULFNBK.exe ?

3. how do I restore sulfnbk.exe?

4. How do you restore the sulfnbk.exe file?

5. SULFNBK.EXE

6. -- SULFNBK.EXE Mailing is a HOAX --

7. what virus cpontains the exe file CFGWIZ32.exe

8. Am I virus-free now?

9. Willkommen am Weiterleitungsserver, - Virus?

10. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

11. OPTICAL.EXE est censĂ© ĂȘtre un virus ...

12. virus: trickler_4010.exe