pop up trojan? or virus?
Author Message
 pop up trojan? or virus?

Hello,

    It happened already a couple of times. My Norton Antivirus 2002 is up to
date and my Norton Internet Security also is... What happens is that every
once in a while, a message pops out proposing me degrees and stuff like
that. When I click on the cross it just goes away but I've read a couple of
articles on newsgroups which let me think that it is a virus or trojan.
First of all which virus is it and 2nd, how come norton doesnt even find it?

Please help

LGDP

Sun, 01 May 2005 02:57:40 GMT
 pop up trojan? or virus?

Quote:

software or hidden in some downloaded programs, to remove
it goto this link, download and install the lavasoft ad-
aware and run it, it will find any spyware and you can
remove it safely........
http://www.spyware.co.uk/downloads.shtml

Sun, 01 May 2005 03:23:20 GMT
 pop up trojan? or virus?
See
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/runsafe

Sun, 01 May 2005 04:09:15 GMT
 pop up trojan? or virus?

Quote:

The other posts here describe valid things that can cause
popups, though what you are describing here sounds like it
could also be an ordinary web browser popup window instead
of your typical adware or windows messenging pop-up.

You need special software if you feel like blocking this
stuff:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#pop-ups

Sun, 01 May 2005 04:36:02 GMT
 pop up trojan? or virus?

Quote:

PS if it is Windows Messenger pop-ups, you NEED a
firewall.  There are free firewalls such as
www.sygate.com, www.agnitum.com, www.kerio.com, etc. so
there's no excuse.  Just disabling the Messenger service
is not a bad thing to do, but without also using a
firewall you are vulnerable to hackers enumerating your
login IDs, logging into your system, etc.

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall

Sun, 01 May 2005 04:37:32 GMT
 pop up trojan? or virus?
Thanks for the tips everyone but the thing is I have a Firewall (Norton)...
Quote:

Mon, 02 May 2005 03:38:16 GMT
 pop up trojan? or virus?
I would advise getting a real firewall -- Zone alarm is a great one.  There are other
free ones out there as well.

Problems with ones like Black Ice, MS's, Norton etc is that they are incoming only --
they dont inhibit the outgoing files at all.

: Thanks for the tips everyone but the thing is I have a Firewall (Norton)...
:
:

Quote:

: >>    It happened already a couple of times. My Norton Antivirus 2002
: >> is up to date and my Norton Internet Security also is... What
: >> happens is that every once in a while, a message pops out proposing
: >> me degrees and stuff like that. When I click on the cross it just
: >> goes away but I've read a couple of articles on newsgroups which let
: >> me think that it is a virus or trojan. First of all which virus is
: >> it and 2nd, how come norton
: > doesnt even find it?
: >
: > PS if it is Windows Messenger pop-ups, you NEED a
: > firewall.  There are free firewalls such as
: > www.sygate.com, www.agnitum.com, www.kerio.com, etc. so
: > there's no excuse.  Just disabling the Messenger service
: > is not a bad thing to do, but without also using a
: > firewall you are vulnerable to hackers enumerating your
: > login IDs, logging into your system, etc.
: >
: > http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall
:
:

Mon, 02 May 2005 05:48:46 GMT

1. backdoor.trojan - popups that aren't pop-ups

2. Mouse over pop-ups with VisualWorks

3. Pop-ups in VW 2

4. Error or notification pop-ups in Tk

5. Pop-ups on Canvas items

6. Examples for Pop-Ups, Keyboard Accelerators?

7. annoying pop ups

8. pop ups

9. Pop-Ups

10. pop ups sent via open port