win 95 boot sector virus removal
Author Message
 win 95 boot sector virus removal

I have a Hewlett Packard Notebook Pentium 166, 1.5 gig HD
running Win 95.  I picked up a boot sector virus:
 ANTICMOS A  from an infected floppy.  (Please don't get
mad at me.  It's a long story, but I did not have AV at
the time).  Other than messing up my MBR the only effect
has been to put my system into MS DOS compatibility mode
and disable protected mode.  All windows, programs, files,
running fine.  No losses except now cannot read certain
CD's.  Need to get rid of virus BEFORE I can do backups
and otherwise clean and protect the system.  I'm not a
geek and I'm confused by the advice I've received
locally.  Is this virus on my HD or motherboard.  They say
it's 'memory resident' (??). One guy said I can fix it
with FDISk, but I don't want to risk all my files and
programs.  I'm also nervous about even trying McAfee
Version 7 since it's apparently only for Win 98 and up.
Help!!??

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:57:12 GMT
 win 95 boot sector virus removal
AVG and F-PROT for DOS are free and work fine on my 95b system.

AVG  http://www.grisoft.com
F-PROT  http://www.f-prot.com

Ben

Quote:
> I have a Hewlett Packard Notebook Pentium 166, 1.5 gig HD
> running Win 95.  I picked up a boot sector virus:
>  ANTICMOS A  from an infected floppy.  (Please don't get
> mad at me.  It's a long story, but I did not have AV at
> the time).  Other than messing up my MBR the only effect
> has been to put my system into MS DOS compatibility mode
> and disable protected mode.  All windows, programs, files,
> running fine.  No losses except now cannot read certain
> CD's.  Need to get rid of virus BEFORE I can do backups
> and otherwise clean and protect the system.  I'm not a
> geek and I'm confused by the advice I've received
> locally.  Is this virus on my HD or motherboard.  They say
> it's 'memory resident' (??). One guy said I can fix it
> with FDISk, but I don't want to risk all my files and
> programs.  I'm also nervous about even trying McAfee
> Version 7 since it's apparently only for Win 98 and up.
> Help!!??

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:47:07 GMT

1. Virus Boot - Boot virus - help

2. Boot Sector virus detection

3. boot sector virus help

4. boot sector virus

5. Cannot Read Boot Sector Virus??

6. Phantom Boot Sector Virus with McAfee?

7. Boot Sector Virus

8. Writing at boot sector to the first sector of a disk

9. MS-DOS Boot Sector & Boot Programs

10. Win 3.11 vs Win 95 (For Arnor)

11. Filter performance Win 98 v Win 95

12. Win 3.1x / Win 95 Conflict ?