random rebooting running xp
Author Message
 random rebooting running xp

You didn't mention which OS you use.
There are backdoor programs which allow remote hacker to reboot your
computer.
Also if you run NT based OS try to examine the event log.

Quote:
> Don't know what this is but concerned it may be related
> to a virus or trojan:  Our computer randomly reboots
> itself.  We have a direct TCP/IP DSL connection.
> Concerned that we had a trojan, we upgraded to Norton
> Internet Security 2003, did a complete scan and installed
> pestcontrol.  No viruses found, all suspicious cookies
> are deleted, only a trusted few programs allowed to
> access the internet automatically, and the computer is
> still randomly rebooting on its own.  As far as we can
> tell, it is not an interruption of power - the reboot is
> normal without going through scandisk.  Anybody had or
> heard of a similar problem?  Besides being annoying,
> we're worried that we've been seriously hacked.

> Thanks for any serious responses.

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:30:26 GMT
 random rebooting running xp

Quote:

> You didn't mention which OS you use.
> There are backdoor programs which allow remote hacker to reboot your
> computer.
> Also if you run NT based OS try to examine the event log.

The OS was stated in the header for the message.

Spontaneous rebooting is generally a hardware problem, most often a
memory/memory bus or CPU type thing.  Sometimes heat, but that is usually
the first thing checked out, so by the time a computer comes to me, it has
been ruled out.  Here's what I would check, in this  order:

1) Take the side off of the box and boot it up, make sure all the fans in
the case, as well as the power supply are running.  (Be sure that they are
not only turning, but turning fast enough.)

2) Remove and reinsert all system memory.  Check the contacts when you have
it out for corrosion.

3) Remove and reinsert all expansion cards, especially Video.  Check
contacts for corrosion.

4) Remove and reinsert the CPU.  Use fresh thermal grease on the heat sink.

If you are the least bit uncertain about the steps needed for any of these
procedures, or are squeamish about poking a screwdriver into your box,
DON'T, got someone else to do the work.

Again, don't do any of this if you don't know what you are doing, you could
seriously hose your system.

TALON

Wed, 06 Jul 2005 01:27:31 GMT

1. Reboot Windows XP using Python's win32api

2. On random system runs, at the same time into run, data sets goto zero

3. XP install stops CW5.5 from running.Help!!!

4. Programs Run Slower After You Install Windows XP SP-1

5. problems running under XP

6. slow running in XP?

7. Running Clarion on for DOS apps with Windows XP

8. Clipper program run very slow in a XP machine

9. problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

10. active x made on win95 won't run on win 2000/xp

11. I can't get LabVIEW 6.1 to install properly on a computer running XP.

12. How can you run Logo in XP