NAV 2001 on Win ME bug 
Author Message
 NAV 2001 on Win ME bug

Hi, I recently did a 'live update' with NAV and have since had an alert on
shutdown of "virus like activity - (no application name) is trying to write
to system.dat", and sometimes the other reg files.

On checking Symantec's Tech Forum it seems a few other people have been
getting very irate with this problem also. Symantec's solution - change the
NAVs scanning level from high to medium! Alternatively disable script
blocking - which I tried, but didn't work.

I don't want to change my scanning levels, for obvious reasons. Especially
if it allows an 'unnamed application' to edit the registry.

Has anyone either come across this problem? Is there a solution?

Also, it seems InoculateIT is quite popular around here - I don't know the
software at all, so can anyone provide the company's web address and/or any
info on it?

Thanks in advance



Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:55:46 GMT  
 NAV 2001 on Win ME bug

Hi,


Quote:
> Hi, I recently did a 'live update' with NAV and have since had an alert on
> shutdown of "virus like activity - (no application name) is trying to
write
> to system.dat", and sometimes the other reg files.

> On checking Symantec's Tech Forum it seems a few other people have been
> getting very irate with this problem also. Symantec's solution - change
the
> NAVs scanning level from high to medium! Alternatively disable script
> blocking - which I tried, but didn't work.

*** Non sense ! When you do that, how can they provide you a better
detection & protection ?

Quote:

> I don't want to change my scanning levels, for obvious reasons. Especially
> if it allows an 'unnamed application' to edit the registry.

*** Sure !

Quote:

> Has anyone either come across this problem? Is there a solution?

*** Yes, I have heard some torubles of Symantec like this. But WindowsME is
also a generic trouble for most of the vendors ! It is a "step" and MS did
not provide so much support and source of ME on the time. So, many of the
vendors had been faced such this and more troubles.

Quote:

> Also, it seems InoculateIT is quite popular around here - I don't know the
> software at all, so can anyone provide the company's web address and/or
any
> info on it?

*** I guess you may try one of these :

NVC Norman Virus Control    www.norman.com
AVP Kaspersky's    www.kaspersky.com
NAI VirusScan    www.nai.com

Quote:

> Thanks in advance

Regards...


Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:46:24 GMT  
 NAV 2001 on Win ME bug
Thanks for that



Quote:

> Hi,



> > Hi, I recently did a 'live update' with NAV and have since had an alert
on
> > shutdown of "virus like activity - (no application name) is trying to
> write
> > to system.dat", and sometimes the other reg files.

> > On checking Symantec's Tech Forum it seems a few other people have been
> > getting very irate with this problem also. Symantec's solution - change
> the
> > NAVs scanning level from high to medium! Alternatively disable script
> > blocking - which I tried, but didn't work.

> *** Non sense ! When you do that, how can they provide you a better
> detection & protection ?

> > I don't want to change my scanning levels, for obvious reasons.
Especially
> > if it allows an 'unnamed application' to edit the registry.

> *** Sure !

> > Has anyone either come across this problem? Is there a solution?

> *** Yes, I have heard some torubles of Symantec like this. But WindowsME
is
> also a generic trouble for most of the vendors ! It is a "step" and MS did
> not provide so much support and source of ME on the time. So, many of the
> vendors had been faced such this and more troubles.

> > Also, it seems InoculateIT is quite popular around here - I don't know
the
> > software at all, so can anyone provide the company's web address and/or
> any
> > info on it?

> *** I guess you may try one of these :

> NVC Norman Virus Control    www.norman.com
> AVP Kaspersky's    www.kaspersky.com
> NAI VirusScan    www.nai.com

> > Thanks in advance

> Regards...



Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:39:49 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. APL-L Digest - 24 Sep 2001 to 25 Sep 2001 (#2001-223)

2. APL-L Digest - 14 Jun 2001 to 15 Jun 2001 (#2001-136)

3. APL-L Digest - 22 Mar 2001 to 23 Mar 2001 (#2001-63)

4. APL-L Digest - 13 Feb 2001 to 14 Feb 2001 (#2001-34)

5. Dylan Hackers entry won second prize at ICFP 2001

6. Win 95, NAV and Summer '87

7. Squeak Bug Fixing Party at OOPSLA 2001

8. Norton AV 2001 has fixed virus signature bug for swig.bat

9. WFLP 2001 deadline extension to May 22, 2001

10. Verilog 2001 (1364-2001 IEEE Standard) Question

11. APChDL-2001/SLDL-2001 call for papers

12. APChDL-2001/SLDL-2001 call for papers

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software