spoofing
Author Message
 spoofing

I have been spoofed and in spite of my use of both Norton
and McAfee, and the lack of any help from either, I don't
know what to do about this. Apparently I don't have the
virus--I keep scanning and checking, but I do get
messages all day saying people I don't know, to whom I've
never sent email, can't receive my email be cause I'm
infected with the klez virus. anyone know how to stop
this?

Sun, 01 May 2005 07:59:42 GMT
 spoofing

Quote:

virus, read the instruction very carefully, or even print
them off............
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32
.klez.removal.tool.html

Sun, 01 May 2005 15:59:42 GMT
 spoofing
Penny,

The klez virus, and other virii, grab an email address from the
address book on the computer they are running on and use
that email address as a fake "from" email address in the
emails they send.  This is known as spoofing.

If you are getting complaints about emails being sent apparently
from you, then you should reply saying that you have checked
your system using Norton and McAffee, that your system is
clean and that your address has been spoofed by an unknown
3rd party.

It is possible to track the sender if you have the full headers to
the e-mail and if found the person may be persuaded to run
an anti-virus tool to remove the virus. Until then, there is not
much that can be done.

Kind regards,

Mike

Quote:
> I have been spoofed and in spite of my use of both Norton
> and McAfee, and the lack of any help from either, I don't
> know what to do about this. Apparently I don't have the
> virus--I keep scanning and checking, but I do get
> messages all day saying people I don't know, to whom I've
> never sent email, can't receive my email be cause I'm
> infected with the klez virus. anyone know how to stop
> this?

Sun, 01 May 2005 17:47:04 GMT
 spoofing
I agree.  Assuming your computer is virus free [and with
Klez the From: address should be assumed to be incorrect],
there's not much you can do except reply explaining this.
The virus email never touched your computer, so there's no
change you can make to your computer to stop this.

Quote:

Mon, 02 May 2005 00:07:51 GMT

1. 'spoofed' compound var references

2. Socket Programming: IP Spoofing

3. mailman location spoofing

4. index.php/params filename spoofing

5. package http spoof

6. anyone have the spoof of "12 days of Xmas"?