Can viruses use the corporate mail address book?
Author Message
 Can viruses use the corporate mail address book?

I was telling my wife how a friend of ours got mass mailed from about 140
people because his corporate mail server got infected with the Mawanella
worm and she asked me if it had been because the worm had used the corporate
address book. I said that to my knowledge this kind of worms only use the
personal address book of the infected computer but got curious about if it
is possible for a worm to use the corporate address book to mass mail
itself. Does any one know?

Thanks

--
_______________
Jorge E. Jaramillo

Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:13:36 GMT
 Can viruses use the corporate mail address book?

Quote:
> I was telling my wife how a friend of ours got mass mailed from about 140
> people because his corporate mail server got infected with the Mawanella
> worm and she asked me if it had been because the worm had used the
corporate
> address book. I said that to my knowledge this kind of worms only use the
> personal address book of the infected computer but got curious about if it
> is possible for a worm to use the corporate address book to mass mail
> itself. Does any one know?

Off the top of my head, I can't remember if any currently in the wild do so
or not (I think one or two might but am unsure) but it certainly is possible
for a worm to use the Global Address List on a exchange server.

Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:28:18 GMT
 Can viruses use the corporate mail address book?

Quote:

> Off the top of my head, I can't remember if any currently in the wild
> do so or not (I think one or two might but am unsure) but it certainly
> is possible for a worm to use the Global Address List on a exchange
> server.

ILOVEYOU did, for example, and so did Homepage.

AFAIK they use the adress book that is configured as default, and that
usually is the corporate adress book.

--
Juergen Nieveler
Support the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide: http://www.dhmo.org/

Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:55:21 GMT
 Can viruses use the corporate mail address book?

Hi,

Yes you are right, they use mostly Address Book of Outlook Express or MS
Outlook. But it does not mean that they can't have codes for the corporate
AddressBooks.

This is because of OE and MSO use default names for AddressBook storages /
DBXs in general instead of Corporate AddressBooks do usually have custom
names. So it is not that much easy to find this database ! If you have
configured your OE / MSO AddressBook database file in an another name, they
can not reach there either.

announced as a new virus today ) Please find the full information located at
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99091

Best Regards...

Orhan

Quote:
> I was telling my wife how a friend of ours got mass mailed from about 140
> people because his corporate mail server got infected with the Mawanella
> worm and she asked me if it had been because the worm had used the
corporate
> address book. I said that to my knowledge this kind of worms only use the
> personal address book of the infected computer but got curious about if it
> is possible for a worm to use the corporate address book to mass mail
> itself. Does any one know?

> Thanks

> --
> _______________
> Jorge E. Jaramillo

Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:24:53 GMT

1. virus protection for address books

2. address book virus

3. address book virus

4. Outlook Sending mail to my address book

5. Corporate E-mail Policy

7. Finding senders e-mail addressfor virus mail, Filtering

8. Mail order book store with Ada books?

9. send mail using SMTP Send Message when mail server is unknown

10. Reading mail using my yahoo-mail account

11. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

12. Virus alert - I just got 3 mails w/ this, norton caught it