Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
Author Message
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?

I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII 233
with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a machine
with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.

I tried a demo of version 6 of McAfee on a clean PIII 733 PC and there was
still quite a bit of a performance hit, even on this machine.  So therefore,
I don't want to buy another version of McAfee (version 6) just to be able to
run IE6 on my machine, especially as the virus scanner slows the machine
down so much.

So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems a good
alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least not
like McAfee.

Thanks for the earlier suggestion of AVG & Norton from the
microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion group, this is being posted again to
other groups so that more people can suggest packages.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:57:13 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
try.. www.avp.ru

regards,
Leonardo

Quote:
> I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

> I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII 233
> with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
> I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a machine
> with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.

> I tried a demo of version 6 of McAfee on a clean PIII 733 PC and there was
> still quite a bit of a performance hit, even on this machine.  So
therefore,
> I don't want to buy another version of McAfee (version 6) just to be able
> run IE6 on my machine, especially as the virus scanner slows the machine
> down so much.

> So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems a
good
> alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least not
> like McAfee.

> Thanks for the earlier suggestion of AVG & Norton from the
> microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion group, this is being posted again to
> other groups so that more people can suggest packages.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:07:42 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
Hi,

AVG from www.grisoft.com is fairly good and works with IE6. You might also
compare products here: http://www.virusbtn.com/100/vb100sum.html

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
Associate Expert - Windows XP
Please reply only to newsgroup...

Quote:
> I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

> I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII 233
> with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
> I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a machine
> with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.

> I tried a demo of version 6 of McAfee on a clean PIII 733 PC and there was
> still quite a bit of a performance hit, even on this machine.  So
therefore,
> I don't want to buy another version of McAfee (version 6) just to be able
> run IE6 on my machine, especially as the virus scanner slows the machine
> down so much.

> So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems a
good
> alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least not
> like McAfee.

> Thanks for the earlier suggestion of AVG & Norton from the
> microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion group, this is being posted again to
> other groups so that more people can suggest packages.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:43:50 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much surprised if
the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.  Maybe
you ought check out where you heard that again.

However, I've heard from lots of folks having troubles with Norton; never
had any problems myself, but heard too many complaints to recommend it.

Quote:
> I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

> I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII 233
> with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
> I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a machine
> with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.

> I tried a demo of version 6 of McAfee on a clean PIII 733 PC and there was
> still quite a bit of a performance hit, even on this machine.  So
therefore,
> I don't want to buy another version of McAfee (version 6) just to be able
> run IE6 on my machine, especially as the virus scanner slows the machine
> down so much.

> So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems a
good
> alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least not
> like McAfee.

> Thanks for the earlier suggestion of AVG & Norton from the
> microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion group, this is being posted again to
> other groups so that more people can suggest packages.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:57:35 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?

Quote:
> NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much surprised
if
> the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.
Maybe
> you ought check out where you heard that again.

I did and at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html it says that the
Intelligent Updater will check to see if you have a valid subscription.  If
not, it will not update.  This is one of the reasons why I won't be buying
Norton.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:05:40 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
Surprise!  Didn't know they were doing that, but seems to apply to NAV 5.0
also (mine says I have 233 days left).  I've had it on here for a year and a
half now.  Something I've done must have reset it somewhere.

Well, was gonna put WIN 2000 on this machine eventually (been saying that
for a month now), and would have to dump NAV 5.0 anyway.

Quote:

> > NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much
surprised
> if
> > the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.
> Maybe
> > you ought check out where you heard that again.

> I did and at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html it says that
the
> Intelligent Updater will check to see if you have a valid subscription.
If
> not, it will not update.  This is one of the reasons why I won't be buying
> Norton.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:18:38 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
NAV is not so free.

Quote:

Home and small business customers:

Virus definitions are available from Symantec with a paid subscription. If you purchased a retail version of Norton AntiVirus, Intelligent Updater detects whether your subscription is up-to-date. If your subscription has expired, you must renew it before using Intelligent Updater.

Excerpted from this page:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

--
HTH,
...Wayne

Quote:

> NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much surprised if
> the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.  Maybe
> you ought check out where you heard that again.

> However, I've heard from lots of folks having troubles with Norton; never
> had any problems myself, but heard too many complaints to recommend it.

> > I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

> > I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII 233
> > with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
> > I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a machine
> > with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.

> > I tried a demo of version 6 of McAfee on a clean PIII 733 PC and there was
> > still quite a bit of a performance hit, even on this machine.  So
> therefore,
> > I don't want to buy another version of McAfee (version 6) just to be able
> > run IE6 on my machine, especially as the virus scanner slows the machine
> > down so much.

> > So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems a
> good
> > alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least not
> > like McAfee.

> > Thanks for the earlier suggestion of AVG & Norton from the
> > microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion group, this is being posted again to
> > other groups so that more people can suggest packages.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:16:42 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
Quote:
> I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.
> I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII
> 233
> with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
> I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a
> machine
> with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.
> So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems > a

good

McAfee Virus Scan is one of the slowest Virus Scanner. Try PC-cillin from
Trend Micro (www.antivirus.com). You can test it 180 days for free. After
this time you can buy it if you want.

Quote:
> alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least not
> like McAfee.

Virus updates from Trend Micro are free.

Best Regards from Germany
Tobias Bl?dt

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:36:28 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
AVG 6.0, works well has regular updates and best of all it's FREE!
www.grisoft.com

Z-IMHO

Quote:

> I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

> I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII 233
> with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
> I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a machine
> with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.

> I tried a demo of version 6 of McAfee on a clean PIII 733 PC and there was
> still quite a bit of a performance hit, even on this machine.  So therefore,
> I don't want to buy another version of McAfee (version 6) just to be able to
> run IE6 on my machine, especially as the virus scanner slows the machine
> down so much.

> So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems a good
> alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least not
> like McAfee.

> Thanks for the earlier suggestion of AVG & Norton from the
> microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion group, this is being posted again to
> other groups so that more people can suggest packages.

---
Visit: http://members.netunltd.com.au/users/lee/Security.htm

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:33:31 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
You do realize you can manually update the defs for free right?
http://www.sarc.com

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

Quote:

> > NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much
surprised
> if
> > the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.
> Maybe
> > you ought check out where you heard that again.

> I did and at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html it says that
the
> Intelligent Updater will check to see if you have a valid subscription.
If
> not, it will not update.  This is one of the reasons why I won't be buying
> Norton.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:12:07 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
After your subscription period is over, you can still get the virus defs for
free from http://www.sarc.com.

All the liveupdate subscription gives you is automated virus updates.  It
doesn't even check for program updates (you have to manually click the
liveupdate button for it to search for program updates).

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

NAV is not so free.

Quote:

Home and small business customers:

Virus definitions are available from Symantec with a paid subscription. If
you purchased a retail version of Norton AntiVirus, Intelligent Updater
detects whether your subscription is up-to-date. If your subscription has
expired, you must renew it before using Intelligent Updater.

Excerpted from this page:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

--
HTH,
...Wayne
......Please respond to newsgroup only.

Quote:
> NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much surprised
if
> the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.
Maybe
> you ought check out where you heard that again.

> However, I've heard from lots of folks having troubles with Norton; never
> had any problems myself, but heard too many complaints to recommend it.

> > I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

> > I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII 233
> > with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
> > I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a machine
> > with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.

> > I tried a demo of version 6 of McAfee on a clean PIII 733 PC and there
was
> > still quite a bit of a performance hit, even on this machine.  So
> therefore,
> > I don't want to buy another version of McAfee (version 6) just to be
able
> > run IE6 on my machine, especially as the virus scanner slows the machine
> > down so much.

> > So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems a
> good
> > alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least not
> > like McAfee.

> > Thanks for the earlier suggestion of AVG & Norton from the
> > microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion group, this is being posted again
> > other groups so that more people can suggest packages.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:13:40 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
Are you sure?  So the virus definition files can be used to update manually
for free all the time?  The subscription only applies to program updates and
not updating the vuris definitions?

Quote:
> After your subscription period is over, you can still get the virus defs
for
> free from http://www.sarc.com.

> All the liveupdate subscription gives you is automated virus updates.  It
> doesn't even check for program updates (you have to manually click the
> liveupdate button for it to search for program updates).

> --
> Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

> NAV is not so free.

> Quote:

> Home and small business customers:

> Virus definitions are available from Symantec with a paid subscription. If
> you purchased a retail version of Norton AntiVirus, Intelligent Updater
> detects whether your subscription is up-to-date. If your subscription has
> expired, you must renew it before using Intelligent Updater.

> Excerpted from this page:

> http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

> --
> HTH,
> ...Wayne
> ......Please respond to newsgroup only.

> > NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much
surprised
> if
> > the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.
> Maybe
> > you ought check out where you heard that again.

> > However, I've heard from lots of folks having troubles with Norton;
never
> > had any problems myself, but heard too many complaints to recommend it.

> > > I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

> > > I currently run McAfee VirusScan 5.02 on the PC.  The PC is a  a PII
233
> > > with 2GB hard drive and 160MB memory.
> > > I'm disillusioned with McAfee because 1. McAfee doesn't run on a
machine
> > > with IE6, so I hear and 2. the performance hit is starting to annoy.

> > > I tried a demo of version 6 of McAfee on a clean PIII 733 PC and there
> was
> > > still quite a bit of a performance hit, even on this machine.  So
> > therefore,
> > > I don't want to buy another version of McAfee (version 6) just to be
> able
> > > run IE6 on my machine, especially as the virus scanner slows the
machine
> > > down so much.

> > > So can any of you lot recommend a decent virus scanner?  Norton seems
> > good
> > > alternative, but the virus updates are not free, I believe, at least
not
> > > like McAfee.

> > > Thanks for the earlier suggestion of AVG & Norton from the
> > > microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion group, this is being posted
again
> > > other groups so that more people can suggest packages.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:20:41 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
Are you sure?  So the virus definition files can be used to update manually
for free all the time?  The subscription only applies to program updates and
not updating the vuris definitions?

Quote:
> You do realize you can manually update the defs for free right?
> http://www.sarc.com

> --
> Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

> > > NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much
> surprised
> > if
> > > the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.
> > Maybe
> > > you ought check out where you heard that again.

> > I did and at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html it says that
> the
> > Intelligent Updater will check to see if you have a valid subscription.
> If
> > not, it will not update.  This is one of the reasons why I won't be
buying
> > Norton.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:21:04 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
Have good service from these folks:
http://www2.my-etrust.com/products/info/Antivirus/2
Quote:

> I need a decent virus scanner for my Windows 98 PC with IE5.5 SP1.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:04:54 GMT
 Can you recommend a decent alternative virus scanner?
Yes, I was aware of this loop-hole, but I figured that Symantec would soon figure out a way to close it.

The first version of NAV that I used (v2.0) stated that the virus definition updates would always be free. They got around that by canceling all support for it. I upgraded to NAV 4.08 but then stopped using that when InoculateIT became available. I even have NAV 2001 uninstalled.

I don't think they care about product loyalty.
--
HTH,
...Wayne
......Please respond to newsgroup only.

Quote:

> You do realize you can manually update the defs for free right?
> http://www.sarc.com

> --
> Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

> > > NAV (Norton Anti Virus 5.0) has free updates still; I'd be much
> surprised
> > if
> > > the newer ones built for IE6 and the new ME and XP aren't free also.
> > Maybe
> > > you ought check out where you heard that again.

> > I did and at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html it says that
> the
> > Intelligent Updater will check to see if you have a valid subscription.
> If
> > not, it will not update.  This is one of the reasons why I won't be buying
> > Norton.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:44:47 GMT

 [ 30 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. Coco/Rb LL(1) Recursive-decent scanner/parser

2. Writing a virus scanner

3. Virus Scanners aren't always the answer...

4. Defender virus scanner - Eanthology

5. anti-virus scanner for upload file

6. Who can recommend me an anti-virus soft

7. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

8. CA Cans VO ?

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. It's not bad canned meat...