virus protection for address books
Author Message
 virus protection for address books

I received this suggestion. Will it work?

HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!
As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your
computer it heads straight for your email address book,
and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all
your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the
virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it
from using your address book to spread further, and it
will alert you to the fact, that the worm has gotten into
your system.

Here's what you do: first, open your address book and
click on  "new contact" just as you would do if you were
adding a new friend to your list of email addresses. In
the window where you would type your friend's first name &
quickname, type in AAAAAAA.  In the window below where it
prompts you to enter the new  email address, type in

clicking add, enter, ok, etc.

Now, here's what you've done and why it works: The "name"
AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as
entry #1. This will be where the worm will start in an
effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it
tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be undeliverable
because of the phony email address you entered

(which it will because of the phony address), the worm
goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an
email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in
your InBox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an
email spelling you that an email addressed to

right away that you have the worm virus in your system.
You can then take steps to get rid of it!

Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:12:53 GMT
 virus protection for address books
Thanks - that seems really handy!!

Quote:
> I received this suggestion. Will it work?

> HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!
> As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your
> computer it heads straight for your email address book,
> and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all
> your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the
> virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it
> from using your address book to spread further, and it
> will alert you to the fact, that the worm has gotten into
> your system.

> Here's what you do: first, open your address book and
> click on  "new contact" just as you would do if you were
> adding a new friend to your list of email addresses. In
> the window where you would type your friend's first name &
> quickname, type in AAAAAAA.  In the window below where it
> prompts you to enter the new  email address, type in

> clicking add, enter, ok, etc.

> Now, here's what you've done and why it works: The "name"
> AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as
> entry #1. This will be where the worm will start in an
> effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it
> tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be undeliverable
> because of the phony email address you entered

> (which it will because of the phony address), the worm
> goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

> Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an
> email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in
> your InBox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an
> email spelling you that an email addressed to

> right away that you have the worm virus in your system.
> You can then take steps to get rid of it!

Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:58:59 GMT
 virus protection for address books
Thats a useless exercise and does NOT work!
 RVC

Quote:
> I received this suggestion. Will it work?

> HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!
> As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your
> computer it heads straight for your email address book,
> and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all
> your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the
> virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it
> from using your address book to spread further, and it
> will alert you to the fact, that the worm has gotten into
> your system.

> Here's what you do: first, open your address book and
> click on  "new contact" just as you would do if you were
> adding a new friend to your list of email addresses. In
> the window where you would type your friend's first name &
> quickname, type in AAAAAAA.  In the window below where it
> prompts you to enter the new  email address, type in

> clicking add, enter, ok, etc.

> Now, here's what you've done and why it works: The "name"
> AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as
> entry #1. This will be where the worm will start in an
> effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it
> tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be undeliverable
> because of the phony email address you entered

> (which it will because of the phony address), the worm
> goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

> Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an
> email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in
> your InBox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an
> email spelling you that an email addressed to

> right away that you have the worm virus in your system.
> You can then take steps to get rid of it!

Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:22:17 GMT
 virus protection for address books
WHY DOESN'T IT WORK???

Quote:
> Thats a useless exercise and does NOT work!
>  RVC

> > I received this suggestion. Will it work?

> > HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!
> > As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your
> > computer it heads straight for your email address book,
> > and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all
> > your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the
> > virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it
> > from using your address book to spread further, and it
> > will alert you to the fact, that the worm has gotten into
> > your system.

> > Here's what you do: first, open your address book and
> > click on  "new contact" just as you would do if you were
> > adding a new friend to your list of email addresses. In
> > the window where you would type your friend's first name &
> > quickname, type in AAAAAAA.  In the window below where it
> > prompts you to enter the new  email address, type in

> > clicking add, enter, ok, etc.

> > Now, here's what you've done and why it works: The "name"
> > AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as
> > entry #1. This will be where the worm will start in an
> > effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it
> > tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be undeliverable
> > because of the phony email address you entered

> > (which it will because of the phony address), the worm
> > goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

> > Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an
> > email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in
> > your InBox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an
> > email spelling you that an email addressed to

> > right away that you have the worm virus in your system.
> > You can then take steps to get rid of it!

Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:01:48 GMT
 virus protection for address books

Quote:
> WHY DOESN'T IT WORK???

http://vmyths.com/hoax.cfm?id=263&page=3&cat=Poor%20advice%20from%20n...
rts

http://antivirus.about.com/library/weekly/aa082801b.htm

And no, before you ask, the fact that the tip posted here suggested using
"AAAAAAA" and the links I posted talk about putting "!0000" in your address
book don't make a difference to whether or not it will work.

Robert Moir, Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP
To search the MS Knowledge base use the link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp?PSL=1
My Homepage - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
** Emailed questions will not be answered **

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 04:53:18 GMT

1. Are Virus Protection Firms the Virus Coders !!

2. address book virus

3. address book virus

4. Can viruses use the corporate mail address book?

5. virus protection??

6. file upload and virus protection

7. enabling virus protection

8. Microsoft acting like my virus protection

9. Virus Protection

10. Norton Virus Protection

11. Win95 virus protection

12. virus protection and windows xp