Virus Planted??? Is this for real?
Author Message
 Virus Planted??? Is this for real?

I got an email telling me that a virus was planted and
would cause destruction in 14 days.  It gave the file
name and how to delete it. I found the file, but it is a
microsoft exe file.  Is this legit?  do I indeed delete
it?
File name: jdbgmgr.exe

It has a microsoft corp trademark and copyright on it
Microsoft Debugging Regis...

What do I do with this?

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:17:00 GMT
 Virus Planted??? Is this for real?
Do nothing, and reply back to whoever sent you the original warning that
they should do some simple checking before passing such hoaxes on.

Quote:
> I got an email telling me that a virus was planted and
> would cause destruction in 14 days.  It gave the file
> name and how to delete it. I found the file, but it is a
> microsoft exe file.  Is this legit?  do I indeed delete
> it?
> File name: jdbgmgr.exe

> It has a microsoft corp trademark and copyright on it
> Microsoft Debugging Regis...

> What do I do with this?

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:50:32 GMT
 Virus Planted??? Is this for real?
WHAT TO DO WITH A HOAX?

Always do a Google search with the "subject:", "keywords in the body",

and if you're smart, go to File | Properties | Details tab | Message Source...
Right click | Select All | right click | choose Copy
Open Notepad and right click | choose paste

Name it "jdbgmgr.exe HOAX" (w/o the quotes of course)

Make you a folder in My Documents for like SPAM, HOAX, VIRUS or the like. I use
SPAM, because the bottom line is it all a NUISANCE of varying degrees. The file
can give you information leading to culprit from where you received it. Use the IP
address from teh sender to go to www.SamSpade.org to run a reverse lookup. When

placing the contents of the notepad file you have in the body. That's how they can
trace it.(BTW, don't expect real help out of ISP's like VERIO; they are SPAM
account enablers).
You will learn to appreciate, good Virus Protection, Hardware Firewalls, Software
Firewalls, mail washers, and file washers. While not as bad as HIV, it can get to
the point of being emotionally in the neighborhood (purely speculation) ;o ).

I know you didn't want a dissertation, but you may just appreciate this one day.

G'day
don
============

I got an email telling me that a virus was planted and
would cause destruction in 14 days.  It gave the file
name and how to delete it. I found the file, but it is a
microsoft exe file.  Is this legit?  do I indeed delete
it?
File name: jdbgmgr.exe

It has a microsoft corp trademark and copyright on it
Microsoft Debugging Regis...

What do I do with this?

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 03:18:22 GMT
 Virus Planted??? Is this for real?
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

I got an email telling me that a virus was planted and
would cause destruction in 14 days.  It gave the file
name and how to delete it. I found the file, but it is a
microsoft exe file.  Is this legit?  do I indeed delete
it?
File name: jdbgmgr.exe

It has a microsoft corp trademark and copyright on it
Microsoft Debugging Regis...

What do I do with this?

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 03:19:01 GMT
 Virus Planted??? Is this for real?
Also,
Email the person who sent this to back, asking them to do the following:
1)  before they forward such warnings to you... for them to check them out
at http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/ and
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoax.asp .  This is the most complete
section that I have found about virus' and hoaxes.

2) And, to continue sending you warnings of real virus'.

I have done this several times to people who sent me hoaxes, and they have
all but stopped!  It helps to educate.  But, don't belittle them because
they sent you this one.  Just ask them to check it out before they send you
another one.

Russ

Quote:
> Do nothing, and reply back to whoever sent you the original warning that
> they should do some simple checking before passing such hoaxes on.

> > I got an email telling me that a virus was planted and
> > would cause destruction in 14 days.  It gave the file
> > name and how to delete it. I found the file, but it is a
> > microsoft exe file.  Is this legit?  do I indeed delete
> > it?
> > File name: jdbgmgr.exe

> > It has a microsoft corp trademark and copyright on it
> > Microsoft Debugging Regis...

> > What do I do with this?

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:06:34 GMT
 Virus Planted??? Is this for real?
That file is a needed Windows file..... Do not delete it.
When someone sends you an email warning you of a virus,
etc... go to your antivirus software vendor, or
symantic.com to verify before doing anything! Most
warnings in the emails are hoaxes, but all to often
someone beleives they are real and messes up their system
by following some strangers advice on deleting files!
Check with Norton (Symantic), McAfee, or other reputable
antivirus software mfg. as they have complete lists of all
known virus's and hoaxes!
Good luck!
Nancy
Quote:

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:58:21 GMT

1. Am I virus-free now?

2. Willkommen am Weiterleitungsserver, - Virus?

3. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

4. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

5. Is this a hoax virus or a real virus??

6. Any Mac Developers, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant experience available

7. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO can you help

8. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed

9. Mac Developers., with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant,Mac OS,OO experience help needed

10. Can a Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed

11. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO required

12. Can a Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed