possible virus, is email from MS or not?
Author Message
 possible virus, is email from MS or not?

I recently got an email supposedly from Microsoft,
something about q216309.exe.

Says to download it and 'something' is fixed.

Anyone hear of it?  My virus protection software wouldn't
allow the attachment of the exe file.

Help!?  Do I need this or is this a bad thing?

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:41:20 GMT
 possible virus, is email from MS or not?

Quote:

> I recently got an email supposedly from Microsoft,
> something about q216309.exe.

> Says to download it and 'something' is fixed.

> Anyone hear of it?  My virus protection software wouldn't
> allow the attachment of the exe file.

> Help!?  Do I need this or is this a bad thing?

Have you ever given MS that email address (to which you received the
email)? If not, then that should tell you something ;-) but, in any case,
please take a look at the following:-

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/policy/swdist.asp

MM

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:50:51 GMT
 possible virus, is email from MS or not?
This is a known virus that has been in the wild for a while now.  MS never,
ever will send security updates via email.  Please see

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32gibea.html

Steve Sprague, MCP
eAegis: Security Through Information
http://www.stormpages.com/eaegis

Quote:
> I recently got an email supposedly from Microsoft,
> something about q216309.exe.

> Says to download it and 'something' is fixed.

> Anyone hear of it?  My virus protection software wouldn't
> allow the attachment of the exe file.

> Help!?  Do I need this or is this a bad thing?

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:12:54 GMT

1. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

2. ITS NOT A VIRUS, ITS A 404 ERROR, FILE NOT FOUND

3. ITS NOT A VIRUS, ITS A 404 ERROR, FILE NOT FOUND

4. I am looking for email address of Rodney W. Johnson

5. Am I virus-free now?

6. Willkommen am Weiterleitungsserver, - Virus?

7. How to Avoid EMAIL VIRUSES 101

8. EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

9. EMAIL VIRUS HOAXES

10. Cellspacing <- This email had a virus attached

11. I am thinking of if this is possible

12. OT: filter to delete SWEN-virus emails from server