pop ups sent via open port
Author Message
 pop ups sent via open port

What is the deal w/pop messages in form of lookalike
messenger notices? Is there a patch to download that is
easy and doesn't affect performance? I am a complete
computer dork. I hate these pop ups and am now told they
are the newest attempts to hack via open port?

Sun, 01 May 2005 02:44:21 GMT
 pop ups sent via open port

Quote:

software or hidden in some downloaded programs, to remove
it goto this link, download and install the lavasoft ad-
aware and run it, it will find any spyware and you can
remove it safely........
http://www.spyware.co.uk/downloads.shtml

Sun, 01 May 2005 03:24:07 GMT
 pop ups sent via open port

Quote:

Not necessarily.  Some advertisers are using open ports and
the win messeges service to create pop-up advertising messeges.

The quick way to stop it is to stop the windows message service,
though this does nothing to close the open ports.

The best way to fix it is to use a firewall to close all the open
ports.  Sygate is free for personal use. www.sygate.com.

Regards,

Mike

Sun, 01 May 2005 17:51:44 GMT
 pop ups sent via open port
I agree - you need a firewall.  Do not just disable
Messenger service without also installing a firewall.
Other anti-popup software as mentioned below is not a bad
idea as well.

more info:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#pop-ups
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#virus

Quote:

Mon, 02 May 2005 00:09:45 GMT
 pop ups sent via open port

Quote:

> If you find info you are looking for, please pass it
> along.  I am having problems with this also.

You may be seeing this:

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/runsafe

Tue, 03 May 2005 21:17:18 GMT

1. Sending Text Files Via Serial Port

2. Mouse over pop-ups with VisualWorks

3. Pop-ups in VW 2

4. Error or notification pop-ups in Tk

5. Pop-ups on Canvas items

6. Examples for Pop-Ups, Keyboard Accelerators?

7. annoying pop ups

8. backdoor.trojan - popups that aren't pop-ups

9. pop ups

10. Pop-Ups

11. no help on pop-ups yet