How do I report a possible new virus ?
Author Message
 How do I report a possible new virus ?

I received an email today that had the sender
listed as "MSN" .
The subject is  "Account Status"

When I clicked this email to open it, a download window
appeared that said the length was 1800 K,
and it would take 16:00 minutes to load. It began loading
immediately without my having to click anything.

I clicked on the X in the email window to stop the
download, and then did a right click to examine the
senders address. The sender is identified as

The senders web site is identified as 200.43.126.242

I could not find an email address for MSN to report
this so this site is the next best to get more information.
If you could send me an email address to contact MSN
when something like this happens, I would be eternally
grateful.

I still have the email in question in my inbox, if anyone
wants it. I will forward it to you if you want it.

Sincerely,

Bob

Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:18:41 GMT
 How do I report a possible new virus ?

Quote:
> I received an email today that had the sender
> listed as "MSN" .
> The subject is  "Account Status"

> When I clicked this email to open it, a download window
> appeared that said the length was 1800 K,
> and it would take 16:00 minutes to load. It began loading
> immediately without my having to click anything.

> I clicked on the X in the email window to stop the
> download, and then did a right click to examine the
> senders address. The sender is identified as

> The senders web site is identified as 200.43.126.242

> I could not find an email address for MSN to report
> this so this site is the next best to get more information.
> If you could send me an email address to contact MSN
> when something like this happens, I would be eternally
> grateful.

> I still have the email in question in my inbox, if anyone
> wants it. I will forward it to you if you want it.

> Sincerely,

> Bob

I doubt whether MSN will care.  Forward the mail or send a copy (full
headers) of the email to (List may not be 100% accurate - it's old):

I'll take a forwarded copy of it to take a curiosity-look.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave McAuliffe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:45:50 GMT
 How do I report a possible new virus ?
Doesn't sound like a virus exactly [could be a trojan or adware or malware
of some sort], and I doubt you're the first person to get this or report it.

I doubt it really came from MSN or AOL.  The FROM: field is extremely easy
to forge.  What you want to look at is the email server name and IP address
in the email header, if you haven't already.  But that probably won't tell
you which person sent it, just which ISP server relayed the email to you.
www.samspade.org probably has information on decoding SMTP headers.

While it might be fun or interesting to track down, I doubt anyone is going
to get into trouble over this one.

Quote:
> I received an email today that had the sender
> listed as "MSN" .
> The subject is  "Account Status"

> When I clicked this email to open it, a download window
> appeared that said the length was 1800 K,
> and it would take 16:00 minutes to load. It began loading
> immediately without my having to click anything.

> I clicked on the X in the email window to stop the
> download, and then did a right click to examine the
> senders address. The sender is identified as

> The senders web site is identified as 200.43.126.242

> I could not find an email address for MSN to report
> this so this site is the next best to get more information.
> If you could send me an email address to contact MSN
> when something like this happens, I would be eternally
> grateful.

> I still have the email in question in my inbox, if anyone
> wants it. I will forward it to you if you want it.

> Sincerely,

> Bob

---

Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:40:42 GMT