New Folder with Random Bird Names
Author Message
 New Folder with Random Bird Names

On May 14, 2001 the following message was posted to this discussion
group:

Hi Folks,
Just recently I noticed whenever I create a new folder in W98SE, it
comes up named as a random bird name such as "Lark" or "Quail," not
"New Folder" as it used to.
Anyone know what's up?  No other symptoms yet, and nothing found by
InnoculateIT.
Thanks for any help,
Christopher

Turns out this is not a virus.  It is one of the menu installed
features of ALZIP.  I just completed a text search of my 'C' drive
looking for 'starling', the name of a new folder created when I
selected FILE | NEW FOLDER.  Found 'starling' in alzip.ini under new
folder bird names.

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 07:18:45 GMT
 New Folder with Random Bird Names

Quote:
> On May 14, 2001 the following message was posted to this discussion
> group:

> Hi Folks,
> Just recently I noticed whenever I create a new folder in W98SE, it
> comes up named as a random bird name such as "Lark" or "Quail," not
> "New Folder" as it used to.
> Anyone know what's up?  No other symptoms yet, and nothing found by
> InnoculateIT.
> Thanks for any help,
> Christopher

> Turns out this is not a virus.  It is one of the menu installed
> features of ALZIP.  I just completed a text search of my 'C' drive
> looking for 'starling', the name of a new folder created when I
> selected FILE | NEW FOLDER.  Found 'starling' in alzip.ini under new
> folder bird names.

Thanks for posting the resolution.  I'd hate to think that the virus writers
were getting so quixotically creative!

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:53:42 GMT

1. New Folder -> Bird Names?

2. API to return folder name

3. AppleDylan names of folders?

4. Can't Edit Source folder names in Apple Dylan DR1

5. Dir.glob and space in folders names

6. Folder with no name?

7. Folder with no name?

8. Hierarchial ListBoxes -- expanded folder inside a folder?

9. creating folders and sub folders

10. How to list files, folders and all their files under the folders

11. run executable with a dictionnary in a new folder

12. Strange files with random names