W32.HLLP.Handy
Author Message
 W32.HLLP.Handy

Norton has just detected W32.HLLP.Handy on my PC. It appears to be a
'harmless' virus from the limited info I can find out about it but Norton
doesn't appear to be able to remove it from some if the files it has
detected, it just stops Norton from operating and i have t oclose it down
and re-run.

Has anyone else come across this virus?

Cheers,

Phil

Fri, 27 May 2005 03:59:39 GMT
 W32.HLLP.Handy

Quote:
> Norton has just detected W32.HLLP.Handy on my PC. It appears to be a
> 'harmless' virus from the limited info I can find out about it but Norton
> doesn't appear to be able to remove it from some if the files it has
> detected, it just stops Norton from operating and i have t oclose it down
> and re-run.

Since there is so little information on this virus in google and at
www.sarc.com, I have to suspect that either this is a new virus [and
possibly a new variant that Norton is having trouble detecting], or more
likely a false alarm.  Either way, submit the detected files to Symantec and
have them look at it.  If this is a false alarm, either Symantec needs to
write a better signature update for you to install, or your antivirus and/or
your hard drive could be having problems.  [This can be confirmed by
searching for and following instructions at www.sarc.com tech support
knowledgebase on how to delete and restore corrupted signature updates, and
possibly also by running a full scandisk and letting it look for bad sectors
indicating a possible physically failing hard drive, though note that
running scandisk while infected with a virus is generally a bad idea.
Mentioning the name of the files that are supposedly infected could also
help determine if this is a false alarm.  Last, you can always try running a
second antivirus scan, even one from a web page, to get a second opinion.
some other scanner options are listed here:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#virus
http://securityadmin.info

---

Fri, 27 May 2005 04:41:19 GMT

1. Handy Tools Page Announces Handy Tools for Clarion Windows

2. W32.Nimda.A@mm and W32.Nimda.enc

3. APL&J on Handy or pocket PCs

4. A handy explicit adverb in J

5. Handy way to id the end of file [revisited]

6. Handy way to id the end of file

7. Trial and error/mainly error [was]Handy way..

8. Installing Handy tools

9. Clarion Handy Tools Browses

10. Handy String Search Code

11. Handy Tools MAPI stuff

12. The Clarion Handy Tools - New Build Just Released...