ping for layla 
Author Message
 ping for layla

Please explain your comment
(Keep this in mind -- even with updated McAfee defs you
are wide open to receiving
infections)

I have Mcafee I've not experienced problems with getting a
virus with it, in fact it's caught a few.
Please explain, I would like to be more informed.



Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:11:32 GMT  
 ping for layla
99% of computers with virii problems that I have to clean are stocked with McAfee with
up to date defs.  We have tried experiments with multiple computers being sent the same
email with different AV's,  McAfee fails repeatedly to catch the virus, Norton fails at
a substantially lower rate, then the free /cheap AV's come in consistantly well. (AVG,
E-Trust, FProt  etc)

McAfee is well known because it allows itself to be packaged with new systems,,,,
Norton is the same way .,... and by running "deals" to bring their prices down

Your computing habits are most likely better than the average user who fails to use
their common sense in dealing with Internet traffic and email so I would chalk your non
virus status more to you than to your AV.


: Please explain your comment
: (Keep this in mind -- even with updated McAfee defs you
: are wide open to receiving
: infections)
:
:
: I have Mcafee I've not experienced problems with getting a
: virus with it, in fact it's caught a few.
: Please explain, I would like to be more informed.



Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:23:27 GMT  
 ping for layla

I've just about never had virus problems with computers running NAV over the
past seven years or so.  Also, I'd say that at least 90% of the posts here
where the computers are infected are infected because of no antivirus or no
updates.

I wonder if some of those McAfee problems are false alarms due to corrupted
signature files.


Quote:
> 99% of computers with virii problems that I have to clean are stocked with
McAfee with
> up to date defs.  We have tried experiments with multiple computers being
sent the same
> email with different AV's,  McAfee fails repeatedly to catch the virus,
Norton fails at
> a substantially lower rate, then the free /cheap AV's come in consistantly
well. (AVG,
> E-Trust, FProt  etc)

> McAfee is well known because it allows itself to be packaged with new
systems,,,,
> Norton is the same way .,... and by running "deals" to bring their prices
down

> Your computing habits are most likely better than the average user who
fails to use
> their common sense in dealing with Internet traffic and email so I would
chalk your non
> virus status more to you than to your AV.



> : Please explain your comment
> : (Keep this in mind -- even with updated McAfee defs you
> : are wide open to receiving
> : infections)
> :
> :
> : I have Mcafee I've not experienced problems with getting a
> : virus with it, in fact it's caught a few.
> : Please explain, I would like to be more informed.



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 02:06:29 GMT  
 ping for layla
Could this be due to how they have things configured,
within Mcafee? I know at face value, Mcafee is not default
configured to catch most virii when they come in
via e-mail...It needs to be altered by the user.

The main reason I'm asking this is my yearly license for
Mcafee is close to expiring, and I'm not real happy with
Version 7 of Mcafee, but then I've read of some real
problems with Norton and W2k, is this your experience as
well??

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>99% of computers with virii problems that I have to clean

are stocked with McAfee with
Quote:
>up to date defs.  We have tried experiments with multiple

computers being sent the same
Quote:
>email with different AV's,  McAfee fails repeatedly to

catch the virus, Norton fails at
Quote:
>a substantially lower rate, then the free /cheap AV's

come in consistantly well. (AVG,
Quote:
>E-Trust, FProt  etc)

>McAfee is well known because it allows itself to be

packaged with new systems,,,,
Quote:
>Norton is the same way .,... and by running "deals" to

bring their prices down
Quote:

>Your computing habits are most likely better than the

average user who fails to use
Quote:
>their common sense in dealing with Internet traffic and

email so I would chalk your non
Quote:
>virus status more to you than to your AV.



>: Please explain your comment
>: (Keep this in mind -- even with updated McAfee defs you
>: are wide open to receiving
>: infections)
>:
>:
>: I have Mcafee I've not experienced problems with
getting a
>: virus with it, in fact it's caught a few.
>: Please explain, I would like to be more informed.

>.



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 07:50:44 GMT  
 ping for layla
It just plain boils down to what a person does adn how they run their machine. I
agree that the line up of AVP should put McAfee on bottom for more than one
reason, and that Norton is a bit overrated. But when you practice good sense with
an understanding of most of the vulnerabilities adn also stop SPAM before it gets
to you with a mail washer and also use a file washer, plus keeping the computer
clean, it far less likely to get virii.

don
==============

99% of computers with virii problems that I have to clean are stocked with McAfee
with
up to date defs.  We have tried experiments with multiple computers being sent the
same
email with different AV's,  McAfee fails repeatedly to catch the virus, Norton
fails at
a substantially lower rate, then the free /cheap AV's come in consistantly well.
(AVG,
E-Trust, FProt  etc)

McAfee is well known because it allows itself to be packaged with new systems,,,,
Norton is the same way .,... and by running "deals" to bring their prices down

Your computing habits are most likely better than the average user who fails to
use
their common sense in dealing with Internet traffic and email so I would chalk
your non
virus status more to you than to your AV.


: Please explain your comment
: (Keep this in mind -- even with updated McAfee defs you
: are wide open to receiving
: infections)
:
:
: I have Mcafee I've not experienced problems with getting a
: virus with it, in fact it's caught a few.
: Please explain, I would like to be more informed.



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 10:10:46 GMT  
 ping for layla
So, what is a file washer? I've not heard of that!
I'm normally paranoid about the pc getting a virii
and do regular maintance getting rid of the cookies
and other spying software, I use the mailwasher, I love
that program, much better than setting up a bunch of
filters that sometimes don't work, and still get loads of
spam, I got my spam down from 40 a day to 18 a day, with
the exception of the holidays it blooms large then, or
just after.

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>It just plain boils down to what a person does adn how

they run their machine. I
Quote:
>agree that the line up of AVP should put McAfee on bottom
for more than one
>reason, and that Norton is a bit overrated. But when you

practice good sense with
Quote:
>an understanding of most of the vulnerabilities adn also

stop SPAM before it gets
Quote:
>to you with a mail washer and also use a file washer,

plus keeping the computer
Quote:
>clean, it far less likely to get virii.

>don
>==============




Quote:
>99% of computers with virii problems that I have to clean

are stocked with McAfee
Quote:
>with
>up to date defs.  We have tried experiments with multiple

computers being sent the
Quote:
>same
>email with different AV's,  McAfee fails repeatedly to

catch the virus, Norton
Quote:
>fails at
>a substantially lower rate, then the free /cheap AV's

come in consistantly well.
Quote:
>(AVG,
>E-Trust, FProt  etc)

>McAfee is well known because it allows itself to be

packaged with new systems,,,,
Quote:
>Norton is the same way .,... and by running "deals" to

bring their prices down
Quote:

>Your computing habits are most likely better than the

average user who fails to
Quote:
>use
>their common sense in dealing with Internet traffic and

email so I would chalk
Quote:
>your non
>virus status more to you than to your AV.



>: Please explain your comment
>: (Keep this in mind -- even with updated McAfee defs you
>: are wide open to receiving
>: infections)
>:
>:
>: I have Mcafee I've not experienced problems with
getting a
>: virus with it, in fact it's caught a few.
>: Please explain, I would like to be more informed.

>.



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:07:34 GMT  
 ping for layla

Well, any respectable antivirus company keeps an eye on their concurents.
And I am sure there are special collection of viruses which are not being
caught by those antiviruses (including NAV). Of course all well-known
viruses would be caught, but who knows what will you next e-mail letter
bring to you?
Your knowledge of viruses, Karl, is much higher then average users have. So
I think this is the key to your life without problems with viruses.


Quote:
> I've just about never had virus problems with computers running NAV over
the
> past seven years or so.  Also, I'd say that at least 90% of the posts here
> where the computers are infected are infected because of no antivirus or
no
> updates.

> I wonder if some of those McAfee problems are false alarms due to
corrupted
> signature files.



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:39:45 GMT  
 ping for layla

HAve had problems with Norton as welll -- though not as much as with McAfee.

I would seriously look at AVG, E-Trust, F-prot as a possibility for replacement.    We
have had great results with AVG and E-Trust  catching everything on a real time basis
without being systme hogs.


: Could this be due to how they have things configured,
: within Mcafee? I know at face value, Mcafee is not default
: configured to catch most virii when they come in
: via e-mail...It needs to be altered by the user.
:
: The main reason I'm asking this is my yearly license for
: Mcafee is close to expiring, and I'm not real happy with
: Version 7 of Mcafee, but then I've read of some real
: problems with Norton and W2k, is this your experience as
: well??
:
:
:
:

Quote:
: >-----Original Message-----
: >99% of computers with virii problems that I have to clean
: are stocked with McAfee with
: >up to date defs.  We have tried experiments with multiple
: computers being sent the same
: >email with different AV's,  McAfee fails repeatedly to
: catch the virus, Norton fails at
: >a substantially lower rate, then the free /cheap AV's
: come in consistantly well. (AVG,
: >E-Trust, FProt  etc)
: >
: >McAfee is well known because it allows itself to be
: packaged with new systems,,,,
: >Norton is the same way .,... and by running "deals" to
: bring their prices down
: >
: >Your computing habits are most likely better than the
: average user who fails to use
: >their common sense in dealing with Internet traffic and
: email so I would chalk your non
: >virus status more to you than to your AV.
: >
: >
: >


: >: Please explain your comment
: >: (Keep this in mind -- even with updated McAfee defs you
: >: are wide open to receiving
: >: infections)
: >:
: >:
: >: I have Mcafee I've not experienced problems with
: getting a
: >: virus with it, in fact it's caught a few.
: >: Please explain, I would like to be more informed.
: >
: >.
: >



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:39:21 GMT  
 ping for layla

Quote:

> So, what is a file washer? I've not heard of that!
> I'm normally paranoid about the pc getting a virii
> and do regular maintance getting rid of the cookies
> and other spying software, I use the mailwasher, I love
> that program, much better than setting up a bunch of
> filters that sometimes don't work, and still get loads of
> spam, I got my spam down from 40 a day to 18 a day, with
> the exception of the holidays it blooms large then, or
> just after.

A good file washing is kinda like washing your hands so you don't catch a
cold.  A good alternative to a software file washer is removing your
computer from all the cords in the back and placing the entire unit into
your kitchen dish washer for a complete cycle, on hot.  The computer will
be returned to it's original shine and luster.

(Please, noone try this, it is an attempt at humor.)

TALON  



Wed, 06 Jul 2005 01:34:27 GMT  
 ping for layla

True enough, but I'm also thinking of work environments where I was not the
administrator of every computer out there, and also my home computer where
my wife opens all our email without taking any special precaution.  [I also
use Outlook for email, with *gasp* the preview pane turned on, and I click
on emails with suspicious attachments all the time to see what they are...
so I can't really argue that I'm using any special care or knowledge to
avoid viruses.]

I'm also thinking of the hundreds of posts I've read here and on the Norton
support group and in alt.comp.virus newsgroup.  I will admit our network did
get infected with the Melissa / Iloveyou worm despite having Norton, and
maybe we're just lucky that we've never received any other new zero-day
virus before Norton delivered a signature update, and it was a small network
where NAV CE was able to deliver updates every day to every client without
any clients slipping through the cracks.  Still, a lucky streak that lasts
over 2.5 years starts seeming not like a lucky streak but good policy.


Quote:
> Well, any respectable antivirus company keeps an eye on their concurents.
> And I am sure there are special collection of viruses which are not being
> caught by those antiviruses (including NAV). Of course all well-known
> viruses would be caught, but who knows what will you next e-mail letter
> bring to you?
> Your knowledge of viruses, Karl, is much higher then average users have.
So
> I think this is the key to your life without problems with viruses.



> > I've just about never had virus problems with computers running NAV over
> the
> > past seven years or so.  Also, I'd say that at least 90% of the posts
here
> > where the computers are infected are infected because of no antivirus or
> no
> > updates.

> > I wonder if some of those McAfee problems are false alarms due to
> corrupted
> > signature files.



Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:45:27 GMT  
 ping for layla
Talon,  tsssk tsssk

You know that some can't take a good joke.
<LOL>

Anyway
Go get a good AVP
Go get a good Firewall
Go get Mail Washer
Go get a file washer (I actually know one person who is in prison for child
{*filter*}graphy, because he stayed at a large regional corporation past retirement
time, and left his passwords in his desk drawer. Someone worse than a hacker
wanted to move up in the company. This guy is straight arrow as you can get, and
got caught up with that and a bad lawyer). You also can go get TweakUI 1.33 and
use the paranoia tab, but I don't. but I do have TweakUI. I don't like the
"shortcut to" in front of all sc's. Even changed teh "arrow" icon at the lower
left of shortcut icons. I't soooo much better. Got a pretty decent pooter and like
to keep it that way.

It's all a matter of learning, and using good judgement. Filter through posts
while lurking, and good luck.

don
====================


It just plain boils down to what a person does adn how they run their machine. I
agree that the line up of AVP should put McAfee on bottom for more than one
reason, and that Norton is a bit overrated. But when you practice good sense with
an understanding of most of the vulnerabilities adn also stop SPAM before it gets
to you with a mail washer and also use a file washer, plus keeping the computer
clean, it far less likely to get virii.

don
==============

99% of computers with virii problems that I have to clean are stocked with McAfee
with
up to date defs.  We have tried experiments with multiple computers being sent the
same
email with different AV's,  McAfee fails repeatedly to catch the virus, Norton
fails at
a substantially lower rate, then the free /cheap AV's come in consistantly well.
(AVG,
E-Trust, FProt  etc)

McAfee is well known because it allows itself to be packaged with new systems,,,,
Norton is the same way .,... and by running "deals" to bring their prices down

Your computing habits are most likely better than the average user who fails to
use
their common sense in dealing with Internet traffic and email so I would chalk
your non
virus status more to you than to your AV.


: Please explain your comment
: (Keep this in mind -- even with updated McAfee defs you
: are wide open to receiving
: infections)
:
:
: I have Mcafee I've not experienced problems with getting a
: virus with it, in fact it's caught a few.
: Please explain, I would like to be more informed.



Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:56:47 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Gadgets to LayLa?

2. Thanks Layla

3. need ping help

4. ICMP ping from visualworks?

5. Ping'ing w/o plugins

6. Nubz OTPlugin d9 (Ping Not replied question)

7. Simple Ping

8. Ping ?

9. Can RB send a ping?

10. ping under windows

11. Sending a Ping command

12. pinging in REALbasic

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software