WinXP and NAV 2002
Author Message
 WinXP and NAV 2002

I'm running WinXp with SP1 and Norton Anti Virus 2002
(purchased as part of Norton Internet Security 2002).
Below is a description of the problems I've had which
lasted quite a while before I was able to revert to
normal, but I've summarised them to stop you falling
asleep...

Things got pretty messy when I used LiveUpdate to download
and install Virus Definitions 2002 (on 31 Dec '02).  When
I restarted (to complete the installation) and got a blue
screen.  So I rebooted - the same thing happened.

I suspected NAV had something to do with it. I couldnt
start windows, not even in safe mode.  Not knowing what to
do, I reinstalled WinXP (without formatting) and hoping
that this would at least give me a chance to start in safe
mode.  But alas, no luck.  On the bright side, the error
messages I kept getting pointed to a file called
NavEx15.sys - it had to be NAV...

So I started WinXp with DOS/command prompt and managed to
find and rename the file.  WinXP started fine and was
stable.  I uninstalled NIS with NAV, and thinking that the
problem must have been caused by a corrupt something or
other, I reinstalled WinXp once again (without
formatting).  That went fine, so I reinstalled NIS with
NAV and ran LiveUpdate.  I was back to square one.  I then
ran through the entire process once more, this time
without re-installing NAV (only NIS) and my PC is now
stable.  Only thing is I am only using NIS, but I cannot
run LiveUpdate despite following all related instructions
from Symantec.  Clearly something is wrong with NIS/NAV
and my XP installation.

I heard that there was a worm or virus around that did
something to anti virus programs.  Thinking that my PC was
infected, I downloaded the fixing tool from symantec and
ran it.  My PC was clean!!!

I have tirelessly searched MS and Symantec's knowledge
bases to find out the cause of the problem and its
resolution with no success whatsoever.  Has anyone been
having these types of problems with Norton (both NAV and
NIS 2002)? Can anyone please please PLEASE assist.

Many thanks

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:08:25 GMT
 WinXP and NAV 2002

Greetings
   I am running  Norton AV 2002 as well as Internet Security  on XP Pro
machine with no problems at all. Updates work well and cause no problems. I
do not know what the difference is between our setups that is causing your
problems, as I too have SP1 installed . The file you mentioned as error
NavEx15.sys  is indeed a virus definiton file that is also in my system.
Have you tried running a online virus scan from a service such as Trend
Micro http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Quote:
> I'm running WinXp with SP1 and Norton Anti Virus 2002
> (purchased as part of Norton Internet Security 2002).
> Below is a description of the problems I've had which
> lasted quite a while before I was able to revert to
> normal, but I've summarised them to stop you falling
> asleep...

> Things got pretty messy when I used LiveUpdate to download
> and install Virus Definitions 2002 (on 31 Dec '02).  When
> I restarted (to complete the installation) and got a blue
> screen.  So I rebooted - the same thing happened.

> I suspected NAV had something to do with it. I couldn’t
> start windows, not even in safe mode.  Not knowing what to
> do, I reinstalled WinXP (without formatting) and hoping
> that this would at least give me a chance to start in safe
> mode.  But alas, no luck.  On the bright side, the error
> messages I kept getting pointed to a file called
> NavEx15.sys - it had to be NAV...

> So I started WinXp with DOS/command prompt and managed to
> find and rename the file.  WinXP started fine and was
> stable.  I uninstalled NIS with NAV, and thinking that the
> problem must have been caused by a corrupt something or
> other, I reinstalled WinXp once again (without
> formatting).  That went fine, so I reinstalled NIS with
> NAV and ran LiveUpdate.  I was back to square one.  I then
> ran through the entire process once more, this time
> without re-installing NAV (only NIS) and my PC is now
> stable.  Only thing is I am only using NIS, but I cannot
> run LiveUpdate despite following all related instructions
> from Symantec….  Clearly something is wrong with NIS/NAV
> and my XP installation.

> I heard that there was a worm or virus around that did
> something to anti virus programs.  Thinking that my PC was
> infected, I downloaded the fixing tool from symantec and
> ran it.  My PC was clean!!!

> I have tirelessly searched MS and Symantec's knowledge
> bases to find out the cause of the problem and its
> resolution with no success whatsoever.  Has anyone been
> having these types of problems with Norton (both NAV and
> NIS 2002)? Can anyone please please PLEASE assist.

> Many thanks

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 18:02:22 GMT

1. NAV 2002

2. Does NAV 2002 really scan mail BEFORE sending?

3. KBCS-2002 Call for Papers - Deadline Extended to Aug.31, 2002

4. KBCS-2002 Call for Papers - Deadline Extended to Aug.31, 2002

5. ECAI and PAIS 2002 last CFP - STAIRS 2002 CFP

6. KBCS-2002 Call for Papers - Deadline Extended to Aug.31, 2002

7. KBCS-2002 Call for Papers - Deadline Extended to Aug.31, 2002

8. array-conversion: $arr: [1979]=>1979, [2000]=>2000, [2002]=>2002 zu $arr2: [0]=>1979, [1]=>2000, [2]=>2002 ?

9. - New Survey, Dec 8, 2002

10. Why Smalltalk Updates Oct. 11, 2002