Help please - I believed a hoax virus warning
Author Message
 Help please - I believed a hoax virus warning

<snip>
Quote:
> 2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe

<snip>

that is not a critical file...i wouldn't worry about it...you can restore is
you wish, but i wouldn't bother..

it is a microsoft java de{*filter*}...

the icon looks like a teddybear...yep...that is the actual icon.

reboot, do whatever, you'll never need that file.

read more
hear... http://www.*-*-*.com/
look at the last paragraph...

--
Edward Alfert
http://www.*-*-*.com/ * http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:15:05 GMT
 Help please - I believed a hoax virus warning
I received the following message and followed the
instructions before discovering that it was a hoax and I
have probably deleted a critical system file (surely this
behaviour is just as despicable as spreading an actual
virus in terms of the harm caused!).  I have been advised
not to power down until I can get some advice from an IT
professional in case I can't boot up again.  I'd be
grateful to hear from anyone who knows exactly what I've
deleted, how important it is, and how I can go about
reinstalling it.  Many thanks.  Here's the message (also
warn your friends that this is making the rounds - my
sister in the STates had  seen it before but you might not
have).

Hi Kathleen,
First things first ... We have been informed by our boss,
who e-mails us,
that he accidently e-mailed us a virsus that macafee or
norton do not
recognise. It remains inactive for 14 days and then begins
to destroy your
hard drive. I have removed it from our computer but it is
automatically sent
to all e-mail addresses in our computer. this means you
may have it but it
is easy to remove.

YOU MUST DO THIS:

1. Go to Start. Find or Search option.
2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C drive and any other devices
that you may
have.
4. Click "find now".
5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name
jdbgmgr.exe -- DO NOT
OPEN IT!!!!
6. Go to edit. Choose "Select All" to highlight the file
without opening
it.
7. Now go to File and select Delete. It will then go to
the recycle bin.
8. Go to Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.

"IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL OF THE PEOPLE
IN YOUR ADDRESS
BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
To do this, open a new e-mail message. Click the photo of
the address
book next to "To". Click every name and add it to "BCC"
Copy this message, paste to e-mail, enter the subject, and
send."

Please do this as soon as you receive this message. Sorry
for the trouble.
slan

Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:06:19 GMT
 Help please - I believed a hoax virus warning
Never delete files just because an e-mail says so.  First thing is to obtain
a proper virus checker and download the latest definitions for it, then scan
the suspicious file.  Also, it won't hurt to go to a website like
http://www.sarc.com and check their encyclopaedia for this.

In this case, you shouldn't delete the file.  The e-mail is a well-known
hoax.  However, it is possible that this file could be infected by another
virus.  Hence, the check above.

To replace the file, follow the instructions below.

From John Clifford Hole [MVP] of Enfield Middlesex

How to replace jdbgmgr.exe.

For all versions of Windows.

1. Go to  http://www.microsoft.com/java/download.htm

2.  Choose VM and Debug Classes for x86

3. Select the Microsoft VM build 3805 for Windows 95/98, Windows Me, Windows
NT 4.0 and Windows XP 5.5 MB.

4. Note:  if running Windows 2000 select the Microsoft VM  build 3805 for
Microsoft Windows 2000 (Hotfix

5. Download and save the file to c:\temp directory

6. Run the msjavx86.exe file

7. Reboot

OR

For Windows 95

JDBGMGR  EXE   47,616  08-24-96 11:11a  is in the Win95_09.cab File so
locate this file and copy it to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

For Windows 98 and Windows ME

From http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99436 .

In the event that JDBGMGR.EXE was deleted erroneously, the following method
may be used to restore the file from backup:

-- Windows 98 Instructions --

1) Click START - RUN, type SFC and hit ENTER
2) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JDBGMGR.EXE and hit ENTER
3) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files
(ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS)
(ie. D:\WIN98 where D is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM)
4) Click OK and continue with the restore function

-- End Windows 98 Instructions --

-- Windows ME Instructions --

1) Click START - RUN, type MSCONFIG and hit ENTER
2) Click the Extract Files button
3) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JDBGMGR.EXE and hit ENTER
4) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files
(ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL)
5) Click OK and continue with the restore function

Quote:
> I received the following message and followed the
> instructions before discovering that it was a hoax and I
> have probably deleted a critical system file (surely this
> behaviour is just as despicable as spreading an actual
> virus in terms of the harm caused!).  I have been advised
> not to power down until I can get some advice from an IT
> professional in case I can't boot up again.  I'd be
> grateful to hear from anyone who knows exactly what I've
> deleted, how important it is, and how I can go about
> reinstalling it.  Many thanks.  Here's the message (also
> warn your friends that this is making the rounds - my
> sister in the STates had  seen it before but you might not
> have).

> Hi Kathleen,
> First things first ... We have been informed by our boss,
> who e-mails us,
> that he accidently e-mailed us a virsus that macafee or
> norton do not
> recognise. It remains inactive for 14 days and then begins
> to destroy your
> hard drive. I have removed it from our computer but it is
> automatically sent
> to all e-mail addresses in our computer. this means you
> may have it but it
> is easy to remove.

> YOU MUST DO THIS:

> 1. Go to Start. Find or Search option.
> 2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
> 3. Be sure you search your C drive and any other devices
> that you may
> have.
> 4. Click "find now".
> 5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name
> jdbgmgr.exe -- DO NOT
> OPEN IT!!!!
> 6. Go to edit. Choose "Select All" to highlight the file
> without opening
> it.
> 7. Now go to File and select Delete. It will then go to
> the recycle bin.
> 8. Go to Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.

> "IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL OF THE PEOPLE
> IN YOUR ADDRESS
> BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
> To do this, open a new e-mail message. Click the photo of
> the address
> book next to "To". Click every name and add it to "BCC"
> Copy this message, paste to e-mail, enter the subject, and
> send."

> Please do this as soon as you receive this message. Sorry
> for the trouble.
> slan

Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:39:55 GMT

1. Fw: Major Virus Warning -- Is a Hoax

2. help !!!!!! with the jdbgmgr.exe virus or hoax

3. Hoax AOL Virus

4. Virus hoaxes

5. EMAIL VIRUS HOAXES

6. Hoax virus - how do I recover?

7. jdbgmgr.exe virus hoax

8. jdbgmgr.exe Virus ( Legit or Hoax)

9. jdbgmgr.exe is NOT A VIRUS it is a HOAX

10. virus or hoax

11. jdbgmgr.exe virus hoax

12. IMPORTANT....Virus or Hoax