.NET VB Wizard hangs upgrading VB6 project
Author Message
 .NET VB Wizard hangs upgrading VB6 project

I have a VB6 project that I tried to upgrade to VB .NET.

The upgrade wizard hangs on main.frm.

I noticed someone else on this group had a similar problem but
unfortunately all further correspondence with Microsoft was done via
email.

Is there a problem with the upgrade wizard?  is there a fix or work
around?

James

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:11:08 GMT
 .NET VB Wizard hangs upgrading VB6 project
I don't know why the wiz is{*filter*} on your main form, but there's a
good book out there, "Upgrading from VB6 to VB.NET" by Ed Robinson et
al (msft press) that may help.

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
>I have a VB6 project that I tried to upgrade to VB .NET.

>The upgrade wizard hangs on main.frm.

>I noticed someone else on this group had a similar problem but
>unfortunately all further correspondence with Microsoft was done via
>email.

>Is there a problem with the upgrade wizard?  is there a fix or work
>around?

>James

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:18:34 GMT
 .NET VB Wizard hangs upgrading VB6 project
Hi James,

Could you please tell us a little bit more about main form?  What controls
are hosted on this form?  How large is the form?
Also would it be possible to send us a small repro of the problem?

thanks,

John and Vicki
MS VB Team

---

Quote:
> I have a VB6 project that I tried to upgrade to VB .NET.

> The upgrade wizard hangs on main.frm.

> I noticed someone else on this group had a similar problem but
> unfortunately all further correspondence with Microsoft was done via
> email.

> Is there a problem with the upgrade wizard?  is there a fix or work
> around?

> James

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:35:36 GMT
 .NET VB Wizard hangs upgrading VB6 project
Main form is 66Kb and has numerous controls.  I'm emailing you the
source to take a look at, and I'll keep this newsgroup thread updated
with the findings.

James

Quote:
> Hi James,

> Could you please tell us a little bit more about main form?  What controls
> are hosted on this form?  How large is the form?
> Also would it be possible to send us a small repro of the problem?

> thanks,

> John and Vicki
> MS VB Team

> --
> ---

> > I have a VB6 project that I tried to upgrade to VB .NET.

> > The upgrade wizard hangs on main.frm.

> > I noticed someone else on this group had a similar problem but
> > unfortunately all further correspondence with Microsoft was done via
> > email.

> > Is there a problem with the upgrade wizard?  is there a fix or work
> > around?

> > James

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:52:34 GMT
 .NET VB Wizard hangs upgrading VB6 project
John and Vicki (MS VB Team), (copied via email)

Hi,

Unfortunately I cannot, as first thought, email you the source for the
usual copyright reasons.

Are there known problems in with the upgrade wizard?  Someone else on
this newsgroup was in communication with MS with a similar problem,
maybe there was a fix for that?

On main.frm I've got DBFileDialog, ImageList, RichTextBox, TabStrip,
CommonDialog and menus, labels, frames, buttons, comboboxes etc.

Project references are:
VB for applications
VB runtime objects and procedures
VB objects and procedures
Microsoft DAO 3.51 Object Library
Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 library
Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.5 for DDL and Security
Microsoft OLE DB Service Component 1.0 Type Library

The wizard gets through to page 5 of 5 and report "Parsing" various
source files, then when it gets to main.frm processing stops.  If I
click cancel and Yes to stop the wizard, I then get a message box
stating "The attempt to cancel upgrade process failed (The RPC server
is unavailable.). Upgrade wasn't successful. Wizard will exit."

Any help would be much appreciated.

James

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:47:48 GMT

1. VB.NET Upgrade Wizard Hangs

2. Upgrade wizard to vb.NET

3. problem upgrading cdo vb project to .net

4. vb5 project upgrade causes vb.net exception

5. Converting VB6 to VB.NET without a full VB6 project

6. ANN: VB6 to VB.NET Upgrade Samples

7. HLP: VB6 upgrading to VB.net (a plea)

8. vb6 -> vb.net upgrade problem

9. error in upgrading VB6 DLL to VB.net

10. Upgrade codes from VB6 to VB.NET on MSDN KB

11. Upgrade from VB6 to VB.net

12. Custom Upgrading from VB6->VB.NET