FileSystemWatcher Issue with UNC
Author Message
 FileSystemWatcher Issue with UNC

Help Please

I have created a windows service (Watcher) that watches for a change in
a batch file using the FileSystemWatcher. When the change is detected
the Watcher calls a component that parses the file into the db. Very
simple, and it even works! That is as long as I use a local path to
watch like C:\Testing\File.DAT . As soon as I specify a UNC like
\\Server\submit\File.DAT it DETECTS CHANGES NO MORE. The service starts
fine and seems to see the file, as proven by entering a bad path - it
throws an error.

The permissions are ok to the UNC file because the component that
imports and parses the file is running on the exact same domain account.

From all I have read all seems ok to me.. win2k server to win2k
(possibly nt4) servers, microsoft says UNC paths are supported etc etc,
but the thing does not detect when the file changes.

Oh ya does the filesystemwatcher {*filter*}badly on network problems, and if
so is there a work around for that?

Thanks,
Wally

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:24:26 GMT
 FileSystemWatcher Issue with UNC

Quote:

> Help Please

> I have created a windows service (Watcher) that watches for a change in
> a batch file using the FileSystemWatcher. When the change is detected
> the Watcher calls a component that parses the file into the db. Very
> simple, and it even works! That is as long as I use a local path to
> watch like C:\Testing\File.DAT . As soon as I specify a UNC like
> \\Server\submit\File.DAT it DETECTS CHANGES NO MORE. The service starts
> fine and seems to see the file, as proven by entering a bad path - it
> throws an error.

> The permissions are ok to the UNC file because the component that
> imports and parses the file is running on the exact same domain account.

> From all I have read all seems ok to me.. win2k server to win2k
> (possibly nt4) servers, microsoft says UNC paths are supported etc etc,
> but the thing does not detect when the file changes.

> Oh ya does the filesystemwatcher {*filter*}badly on network problems, and if
> so is there a work around for that?

I don't know if this is related to your problem or not, but I had to
avoid using FIleSystemWatcher because it doesn' work if the dir you want
to watch is a linux server mapped to a drive letter.

Sam J. Marrocco
Sr. Visual Effects Artist/R&D
Travelling Pictures/GTN
Inferno, Flame, Houdini, Maya, All that cool stuff!
"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:12:34 GMT

1. Threading and the FileSystemWatcher WatchForChanges method

2. FileSystemWatcher - capture who changed the file?

3. newbie question about FileSystemWatcher

4. FileSystemWatcher Path / Directory size

5. does FileSystemWatcher class work with Windows 98 ??

6. FileSystemWatcher

7. FileSystemWatcher Help.

8. Get Name Of FileSystemWatcher

9. FileSystemWatcher name by sender

10. FileSystemWatcher Service and network drives

11. FileSystemWatcher

12. FileSystemWatcher - Repost