ADO.NET GetRows or Getstring ?
Author Message
 ADO.NET GetRows or Getstring ?

Hi All,

Good old ADO has two very useful methods:

    1. GetRows to output recordset to multi-dimensional array.
    2. GetString to output recordset to string.

GetString is a real life saver, particularly from Web programming
prospective. For example, it's much easier and way faster to output
recordset to HTML table with GetString method instead of looping
through recordset.

I went through ADO.Net docs and so far have not found anything similar
to those methods. Does anybody know if ADO.Net has similar methods ?

Thanks, Davie.

Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:13:08 GMT
 ADO.NET GetRows or Getstring ?

Quote:
> I went through ADO.Net docs and so far have not found anything similar
> to those methods. Does anybody know if ADO.Net has similar methods ?

I don't know for sure, but that doesn't appear to be their style.

I see this pattern as being more common...

ADO.Net -> XML
XML + XSL -> HTML

This way the burden is shifted from the programmer to the web artist.

--
Jonathan Allen

This industry is always changing and whining won't stop it,
so either bail out now or enjoy the ride.

Quote:
> Hi All,

> Good old ADO has two very useful methods:

>     1. GetRows to output recordset to multi-dimensional array.
>     2. GetString to output recordset to string.

> GetString is a real life saver, particularly from Web programming
> prospective. For example, it's much easier and way faster to output
> recordset to HTML table with GetString method instead of looping
> through recordset.

> I went through ADO.Net docs and so far have not found anything similar
> to those methods. Does anybody know if ADO.Net has similar methods ?

> Thanks, Davie.

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:32:35 GMT
 ADO.NET GetRows or Getstring ?
Jonathan,

While I agree that XML + XSL is the way to go, my major
concern is the problem of converting existing applications
which are heavily coded using those methods.

Davie.

BTW. Let me know when you come across web artist
who know XSL, I haven't seen one yet.

Quote:
> > I went through ADO.Net docs and so far have not found anything similar
> > to those methods. Does anybody know if ADO.Net has similar methods ?

> I don't know for sure, but that doesn't appear to be their style.

> I see this pattern as being more common...

> ADO.Net -> XML
> XML + XSL -> HTML

> This way the burden is shifted from the programmer to the web artist.

> --
> Jonathan Allen

> This industry is always changing and whining won't stop it,
> so either bail out now or enjoy the ride.

> > Hi All,

> > Good old ADO has two very useful methods:

> >     1. GetRows to output recordset to multi-dimensional array.
> >     2. GetString to output recordset to string.

> > GetString is a real life saver, particularly from Web programming
> > prospective. For example, it's much easier and way faster to output
> > recordset to HTML table with GetString method instead of looping
> > through recordset.

> > I went through ADO.Net docs and so far have not found anything similar
> > to those methods. Does anybody know if ADO.Net has similar methods ?

> > Thanks, Davie.

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:17:52 GMT
 ADO.NET GetRows or Getstring ?

Quote:
> BTW. Let me know when you come across web artist
> who know XSL, I haven't seen one yet.

Most of them don't even know HTML, so I'm hoping someone writes a good
designer.

--
Jonathan Allen

This industry is always changing and whining won't stop it,
so either bail out now or enjoy the ride.

Quote:
> Jonathan,

> While I agree that XML + XSL is the way to go, my major
> concern is the problem of converting existing applications
> which are heavily coded using those methods.

> Davie.

> BTW. Let me know when you come across web artist
> who know XSL, I haven't seen one yet.

> > > I went through ADO.Net docs and so far have not found anything similar
> > > to those methods. Does anybody know if ADO.Net has similar methods ?

> > I don't know for sure, but that doesn't appear to be their style.

> > I see this pattern as being more common...

> > ADO.Net -> XML
> > XML + XSL -> HTML

> > This way the burden is shifted from the programmer to the web artist.

> > --
> > Jonathan Allen

> > This industry is always changing and whining won't stop it,
> > so either bail out now or enjoy the ride.

> > > Hi All,

> > > Good old ADO has two very useful methods:

> > >     1. GetRows to output recordset to multi-dimensional array.
> > >     2. GetString to output recordset to string.

> > > GetString is a real life saver, particularly from Web programming
> > > prospective. For example, it's much easier and way faster to output
> > > recordset to HTML table with GetString method instead of looping
> > > through recordset.

> > > I went through ADO.Net docs and so far have not found anything similar
> > > to those methods. Does anybody know if ADO.Net has similar methods ?

> > > Thanks, Davie.

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:43:15 GMT
 ADO.NET GetRows or Getstring ?

Quote:
> BTW. Let me know when you come across web artist
> who know XSL, I haven't seen one yet.

I'm actually a good friend of one. He's a web artist who programs as well,
although I suppose doesn't really count, but his stuff is really good...
check out www.eg.co.za/meta - it's a portfolio of some of his work.

The way I normally handle the problem is get the designer to give me a
mockup done in Photoshop, and then I split the image and write the HTML/ASP
to generate the page. I'll also get the designer to give me table layouts
and colours etc, and I convert them to whatever I need (raw HTML, XSL
template, or whatever)... Although it would be really cool if they could
just do it for me... :-D

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:48:44 GMT

1. getrows or getstring

2. Using ADO GetString with MSHFlexgrid - problem with memo field

3. ADO abd Getstring Method

4. ado recordset.getstring problem

5. GetRows() and GetString() with ADO Recordset 'pages'

6. ADO Getrows method

7. ADO 2.5 GetRows

8. ADO GetRows Question

9. GetRows in ADO 2.5

10. GetRows Type Mistmatch Error. Ado 2.1

11. using ADO GetRows with Update

12. ADO.NET with ASP.NET using VB.NET