Definition & Explanation of Reflection
Author Message
 Definition & Explanation of Reflection

Can someone tell me (in English) what the definition of Reflection is and
give some real world examples of how it can be used?

--
David Wier
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 05 May 2004 04:39:06 GMT
 Definition & Explanation of Reflection
Hi David

Really simply, reflection is the ability of .NET to let you programmatically
see what members a class has (it's a lot more than this, but in essence,
this is what it boils down to). There's a very simple example of reflection
(and attributes) at http://www.dotnet.za.net/viewarticle.asp?articleid=9.

Cheers
Peter

--
Peter McMahon
http://www.dotnet.za.net - The Premier Microsoft.NET Resource in South

Quote:
> Can someone tell me (in English) what the definition of Reflection is and
> give some real world examples of how it can be used?

> --
> David Wier
> http://mp3.com/davidwier
> http://davidwier.com

Wed, 05 May 2004 21:10:10 GMT
 Definition & Explanation of Reflection
Reflection is the ability to inspect at runtime whatever (classes, their
methods, parameters, enumerations...) is publicly exposed in  a "library".
This is done for example by the object browser or the code editor to give
the "intellisense" feature...

In your own code, a simple use of reflection would be to get the symbolic
name of a numeric constant that belongs to an enumeration (to display a
better message than just the numeric code).

Quote:
> Can someone tell me (in English) what the definition of Reflection is and
> give some real world examples of how it can be used?

> --
> David Wier
> http://mp3.com/davidwier
> http://davidwier.com

Thu, 06 May 2004 00:58:40 GMT

1. VB5 & Informix (explanation)

2. Reflection & static (shared) methods

3. Reflection & Controls

4. ODBC 3.0 API function definitions for Visual Basic or SQLSetEnvAttr definition

5. Searching API Definitions like LVM_EX_FULLRANGE=&h20 !!!

6. Searching API Definitions like LVM_EX_FULLRANGE=&h20 !!!

7. *&*&*&* Date math question *&*&*&*

8. One last explanation - apology to the group

9. explanation

10. code explanation

11. Instr Function Explanation Anyone ???

12. DAO Recordset explanation needed