documentation- attributes and the system.reflection object
Author Message
 documentation- attributes and the system.reflection object

All,
I'm relatively new to the .Net and was hoping to install some documentation
standards throughout the department within which I work (we've chosen
VB.Netas our primary langauge). I would like to create a programatic way in
which  to extract details (author, comments etc) from each method/class
which the coder has entered.

I've had a look through Deja and the MSDN- some have mentioned some type of
XML documentation feature that is available in C#- but I can't find any
reference to it in VB.NET- have I overlooked something here? Does it exist?

In the absence of this XML documentor I have realised that another good
approach would be to create a custom attribute (through the
System.Reflection object) and ensure that all developers (in my dept!)
include the appropriate attribute at the start of the class/method.
Does anyone have any ideas/comments on whether this is the best way to go?

thanks

Paul.

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:37:29 GMT
 documentation- attributes and the system.reflection object

Quote:
> I've had a look through Deja and the MSDN- some have mentioned some type of
> XML documentation feature that is available in C#- but I can't find any
> reference to it in VB.NET- have I overlooked something here? Does it exist?

No.  VB.NET does not currently support the XML documentation feature.

Quote:
> In the absence of this XML documentor I have realised that another good
> approach would be to create a custom attribute (through the
> System.Reflection object) and ensure that all developers (in my dept!)
> include the appropriate attribute at the start of the class/method.
> Does anyone have any ideas/comments on whether this is the best way to go?

At one point, I thought this would be a "good thing", but now I think
(while definitely cool) it may increase the size of the metadata
considerably.  Also, a good source code control tool can help you
control these sorts of issues (who modified it, what did they change,
etc...).

My 2 cents...

--
Patrick Steele
Microsoft .NET MVP

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:20:02 GMT

1. Looking for Documentation on Attributes to use with Declare

2. Looking for Documentation/Direction on File Attributes

3. attributes and reflection

4. ANN: Custom Attributes and Reflection Into Article

5. Technical documentation for a maintenable C/S system

6. (OOP) system's documentation

7. Release a reference from System.Reflection

8. How far can System.Reflection take you?

9. System.Reflection.Emit

10. It it possible to register an event using the System.Reflection

11. VB2008: Getting the System.Reflection.PropertyInfo from within a class property

12. Where's the object model documentation??