Users, Groups & Roles
Author Message
 Users, Groups & Roles

Does anyone know if the SecurityCallContext class and other associated classes can be used to do the following:

1) Determine the currently logged in user
2) Setup, use and check if users belong to Roles etc

without having to use COM+ ?

I need to implement security in an application where users are placed in groups (or roles) and then access to functionality depends on membership of the group.  The client has specifically stated that they do not want to use NT Users/Groups and does not want to use COM+ if possible (they want to keep the implementation free of any dependence on COM if possible).

The functionality provided by the .NET SecurityCallContext etc. classes basically do what I need to be able to do, but all the examples I can find use COM+/Enterprise Services.

Cheers,

Cameron

Sat, 22 May 2004 17:30:53 GMT
 Users, Groups & Roles

I'd be curious to know why your client does not want to use Enterprise Services when it so clearly fits what you are trying to do.  Feel free to contact me offline

Ron Jacobs
Program Manager
Enterprise Services

  Does anyone know if the SecurityCallContext class and other associated classes can be used to do the following:

  1) Determine the currently logged in user
  2) Setup, use and check if users belong to Roles etc

  without having to use COM+ ?

  I need to implement security in an application where users are placed in groups (or roles) and then access to functionality depends on membership of the group.  The client has specifically stated that they do not want to use NT Users/Groups and does not want to use COM+ if possible (they want to keep the implementation free of any dependence on COM if possible).

  The functionality provided by the .NET SecurityCallContext etc. classes basically do what I need to be able to do, but all the examples I can find use COM+/Enterprise Services.

  Cheers,

  Cameron

Sat, 29 May 2004 08:26:28 GMT

1. NT user name & user groups

2. security - users and groups - add & delete

3. User & group rights

4. Creating Windows 2000 Users & Groups

5. Compare NT groups & users function

6. How to access NT user & group

7. Retrieving Domain User & Group Info

8. Role-Based Security Using User's Windows Account Info Not Working Under Win9x

9. Enumerating a users roles.

10. Get list of users belonging to COM+ role?

11. Getting SQL Sever User Role Information

12. How can I get Role for Current User from SQL Server using VB6 ADO connection