Newbie - A good book for VB.NET
Author Message
 Newbie - A good book for VB.NET

A newbie question  - What book is recommended for VB.NET and ASP.NET ?

Thanks in advance

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:05:56 GMT
 Newbie - A good book for VB.NET
I've yet to find a "great" book on VB.net (most are no more than how to make
a text box and yet more of the re-wording of the same old "How to make a
WebService"), but Appleman's "Moving to VB.net" and the Wrox Press
"Professinal VB.net" are as good as there are so far.

You say you're a Newbie so just about any of them are the same at this
point, but when you're ready to start making apps that really cook, This
rule of thumb might be handy.  Open to the index and look for:

1)  "LoadFrom" If they don't show anything about AutoDeployment (one of the
most amazing aspects of .net) they may not have much depth.

2) "Serialization"  Do they just show shallow XML serialzation and not Deep
via the ISerializable?  That is a limitation

As to ASP.net, different story becuase it's all so new.  SAMs Press has come
a long way lately.  I've been very happy using a combination of "Teach
Yourself ASP.net in 21 Days" (Hey, I'm a newbie too, and it's a great
starter), then "ASP.net Unleashed" (I bought two, one for home and one for
work, to save lugging it's poundage around every day) and "Asp.Net Tips
Tutorials and Code" (fills in the gaps)

Hope that helps a little bit.

Robert Smith
Kirkland, WA
www.smithvoice.com/vbfun.htm
www.DoItIn.net

Quote:
> A newbie question  - What book is recommended for VB.NET and ASP.NET ?

> Thanks in advance

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:13:48 GMT

1. Find good book about using CR.NET with VS.NET and .NET Framework

2. NEWBIE - good book for learning VB 5.0?

3. VB newbie needs info on good beginner books.

4. Best Book on VB dot net Programming (the code side, not the GUI)

5. Best vb.net teaching book wanted

6. Please suggest good book on VB.NET

7. Any advice for a good VB .net book?

8. What's the Best Vb.NET Book ??

9. Good book for vb.net

10. Any good VB.NET book recommend?

11. Can anyone recommend a good book for learining VB.NET

12. Can anyone recomend to me a good book or document for VB.NET