Invalid URL error when trying to open web form in design view
Author Message
 Invalid URL error when trying to open web form in design view

I've moved an ASP.NET  project to another machine - all files are in a
local web folder.  I can see and edit the code & HTML for all files,
build run from the VS IDE.  When I try to view any Webform in design
view, I get an error: 'The file failed to load in the Web Form designer.
Please correct the following error, then load it again: Invalid URL.'

--
Paul Turley, MCSD, MCT, MSF Trainer, A+ Technician

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:00:27 GMT
 Invalid URL error when trying to open web form in design view
You cannot simply move your folders to a different machine.
You need to do some preparation.
Create your development folder on your another machine
Go to the Control panel, then to Administrative Tools then to Internet
Services Manager.
Right click on Default Web Site ->New->Virtual Directory
Go to Virt.Dir. Property window
Define local folder (which is your new development folder)
Leave defaults as they are  on Virtual Directory Tab
Go to Documents Tab
Press Add button
Enter your starting page name & extension  (WebForm.aspx)
Put it on the top of the list of default documents.
Press "Apply" button
Now your development folder is ready
Copy your old application there.
Should be working

Julia

Quote:
> I've moved an ASP.NET  project to another machine - all files are in a
> local web folder.  I can see and edit the code & HTML for all files,
> build run from the VS IDE.  When I try to view any Webform in design
> view, I get an error: 'The file failed to load in the Web Form designer.
> Please correct the following error, then load it again: Invalid URL.'

> --
> Paul Turley, MCSD, MCT, MSF Trainer, A+ Technician

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:34:40 GMT
 Invalid URL error when trying to open web form in design view
Paul,

Please repost this question to the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
forum.  Those folks handle web applications.

 Thank You,
 Dale Roberson
 Microsoft Developer Support

reserved.

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:33:24 GMT
 Invalid URL error when trying to open web form in design view
I'm not following your instructions regarding the vitual directory.

When I create a new ASP.NET project, a new web folder is created on the
local machine.  I have added the start page to this web folder after
copying all of my files from the backup to this new folder under
C:\INetPub\WWWRoot\(New Web Folder).

What should the virtual folder point to?

Thx
Paul

Quote:

> You cannot simply move your folders to a different machine.
> You need to do some preparation.
> Create your development folder on your another machine
> Go to the Control panel, then to Administrative Tools then to Internet
> Services Manager.
> Right click on Default Web Site ->New->Virtual Directory
> Go to Virt.Dir. Property window
> Define local folder (which is your new development folder)
> Leave defaults as they are  on Virtual Directory Tab
> Go to Documents Tab
> Press Add button
> Enter your starting page name & extension  (WebForm.aspx)
> Put it on the top of the list of default documents.
> Press "Apply" button
> Now your development folder is ready
> Copy your old application there.
> Should be working

> Julia

>>I've moved an ASP.NET  project to another machine - all files are in a
>>local web folder.  I can see and edit the code & HTML for all files,
>>build run from the VS IDE.  When I try to view any Webform in design
>>view, I get an error: 'The file failed to load in the Web Form designer.
>>Please correct the following error, then load it again: Invalid URL.'

>>--
>>Paul Turley, MCSD, MCT, MSF Trainer, A+ Technician

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:05:08 GMT

1. Urgent help - Error while opening Form design view on MS Visual Basic.Net

2. Out of memory error when opening form in design view

3. Can't open VB.NET form in design view (only get code view)

4. custom form control: Cannot view design view of forms that inherit this form

5. Invalid URL form or fully-qualified absolute URL was used

6. VB6 / Access - Error 2202 (No Printer Installed) When Opening Report in Design View

7. Error Messag ehen opening an SQL query in Design View

8. Setting Properties - Design View vs Form View

9. project design software , compare website design software , web developers , website design software review , nof shop , software quality , nof 7.5 , bestellen preisvergleich , web site design , custom web design ,

10. Code to open table in design view

11. open report in design view without showing on screen

12. Opens in design view