How do I tech out a prospective programmer? 
Author Message
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?

Hi
I would like to put together a list of about 10 questions for hiring a
pretty advanced VB.NET and ADO.NET programmer. I am not very technical.
Would have anyone have some questions that I can use? Also a few for SQL as
well.


Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:18:10 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?
Apparently you want free consulting, so here is some free advice. If you
don't have a management staff that is qualified to perform the tasks
required, start by hiring those people.  A lot of us have been looking for
companies willing to pay for our services since the tech sector tanked :)

--
VBnet4Apps
http://www.avenuezx.com/vbnet4apps/


Quote:
> Hi
> I would like to put together a list of about 10 questions for hiring a
> pretty advanced VB.NET and ADO.NET programmer. I am not very technical.
> Would have anyone have some questions that I can use? Also a few for SQL
as
> well.



Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:29:53 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?

VBnet4Apps ???
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Hiks! What a beginner, first time, purpose less, advertising afilliate
{*filter*}web site!!!

You should be shame of begging like that.

We dont know if you hungry or full of bills to pay, but that's a very
bad start to solve your problems.

Take care,
Betty

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.*-*-*.com/ ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:33:16 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?
Gee, I put up a web site for people to share code and don't charge
membership.  And, you chastise me for hoping I don't also have to foot the
entire bill for doing so.

What is the link to your free site?

By the way, not one person has bought anything, so I am paying all the
bills.  I've tried to be helpful in here and be a good citizen.  At least I
don't come in here asking for free management consulting.  I exchange ideas
with others interested in the subject matter of the group.

--
VBnet4Apps
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:

> VBnet4Apps ???
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Hiks! What a beginner, first time, purpose less, advertising afilliate
> {*filter*}web site!!!

> You should be shame of begging like that.

> We dont know if you hungry or full of bills to pay, but that's a very
> bad start to solve your problems.

> Take care,
> Betty

> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.*-*-*.com/ ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:47:18 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?
Where do you get off complaining because there are a few ads on my site.
Have you bothered to look at the one you advertise in your signature?

--
VBnet4Apps
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:

> VBnet4Apps ???
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Hiks! What a beginner, first time, purpose less, advertising afilliate
> {*filter*}web site!!!

> You should be shame of begging like that.

> We dont know if you hungry or full of bills to pay, but that's a very
> bad start to solve your problems.

> Take care,
> Betty

> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.*-*-*.com/ ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:05:23 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?
Hello:

I just will like to said that I have no link to the person who wrote the
former message. It's not my style to attack other persons.

Re: my questions
It wasn't my idea to post it here and I don't personally consider this is
the best place for it, sorry if broke any rules of the NG.. I was just
looking for some advice... and not even for myself  :-)
Cheers,
Erich


Quote:
> Gee, I put up a web site for people to share code and don't charge
> membership.  And, you chastise me for hoping I don't also have to foot the
> entire bill for doing so.

> What is the link to your free site?

> By the way, not one person has bought anything, so I am paying all the
> bills.  I've tried to be helpful in here and be a good citizen.  At least
I
> don't come in here asking for free management consulting.  I exchange
ideas
> with others interested in the subject matter of the group.

> --
> VBnet4Apps
> http://www.*-*-*.com/


> > VBnet4Apps ???
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > Hiks! What a beginner, first time, purpose less, advertising afilliate
> > {*filter*}web site!!!

> > You should be shame of begging like that.

> > We dont know if you hungry or full of bills to pay, but that's a very
> > bad start to solve your problems.

> > Take care,
> > Betty

> > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.*-*-*.com/ ***
> > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:38:24 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?
On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:47:18 -0400, "VBnet4Apps"

Quote:

>Gee, I put up a web site for people to share code and don't charge
>membership.  And, you chastise me for hoping I don't also have to foot the
>entire bill for doing so.

>What is the link to your free site?

>By the way, not one person has bought anything, so I am paying all the
>bills.  I've tried to be helpful in here and be a good citizen.  At least I
>don't come in here asking for free management consulting.  I exchange ideas
>with others interested in the subject matter of the group.

I for one, appreciate your efforts. You can advertise all you want so
far as I am concerned. :-)  


Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:07:07 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?

    It really is ashame that people are so unwilling to help anymore.

-Dan Joseph


Quote:
> Apparently you want free consulting, so here is some free advice. If you
> don't have a management staff that is qualified to perform the tasks
> required, start by hiring those people.  A lot of us have been looking for
> companies willing to pay for our services since the tech sector tanked :)

> --
> VBnet4Apps
> http://www.avenuezx.com/vbnet4apps/



> > Hi
> > I would like to put together a list of about 10 questions for hiring a
> > pretty advanced VB.NET and ADO.NET programmer. I am not very technical.
> > Would have anyone have some questions that I can use? Also a few for SQL
> as
> > well.



Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:23:51 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?
[Reply posted to group and cc: to author as a courtesy (if no 'spam guard')]
Please do not reply directly to the e-mail

I'd have to agree with this post. I used to do a lot of tech screening for
companies that didn't have anyone who was senior enough, and it was billable.

Besides which, if you aren't very technical you won't be able to understand the
answers the person gives anyway. Good technical interview questions are not
one-word, right-or-wrong answers. Good questions are aimed at seeing if the
person has good design and problem-solving skills, not if they have memorized
the third argument of the MessageBox.Show() function.

Quote:
>Apparently you want free consulting, so here is some free advice. If you
>don't have a management staff that is qualified to perform the tasks
>required, start by hiring those people.  A lot of us have been looking for
>companies willing to pay for our services since the tech sector tanked :)

>--
>VBnet4Apps
>http://www.avenuezx.com/vbnet4apps/



>> Hi
>> I would like to put together a list of about 10 questions for hiring a
>> pretty advanced VB.NET and ADO.NET programmer. I am not very technical.
>> Would have anyone have some questions that I can use? Also a few for SQL
>as
>> well.

---
Craig Wagner, craig_wagner(at)mindspring.com
Portland, OR

"Don't ban high-performance vehicles, ban low-performance drivers!"



Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:33:51 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?


Quote:

> VBnet4Apps ???
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Hiks! What a beginner, first time, purpose less, advertising afilliate
> {*filter*}web site!!!

And what have you done?  Advertising, can you say hypocrit?  I find nothing
wrong with it.

Quote:
> You should be shame of begging like that.

Begging?  You call indicating that I company is looking to get for free what
everyone else has to pay for begging?  If just anybody can do it then what
is the point of all this education and skill?  This is an employement
position not a quick multiple choice questionair.

Quote:
> We dont know if you hungry or full of bills to pay, but that's a very
> bad start to solve your problems.

Huh?  How is getting your name out there and showing that you are capable,
helpfull and also ask when you are not sure a bad start?

Quote:
> Take care,
> Betty

Your post is uncalled for and inappropriate.

Keep up the good work VBnet4Apps, it is appriciated.

Michael

Quote:

>********Removed Offending Advertising!



Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:54:40 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?


Quote:

> [Reply posted to group and cc: to author as a courtesy (if no 'spam
guard')]
> Please do not reply directly to the e-mail

> Besides which, if you aren't very technical you won't be able to
understand the
> answers the person gives anyway. Good technical interview questions are
not
> one-word, right-or-wrong answers. Good questions are aimed at seeing if
the
> person has good design and problem-solving skills, not if they have
memorized
> the third argument of the MessageBox.Show() function.

Craig, you are spot on. However, a surprsingly large number of technical
tests are of the "what is the third argument of the MessageBox.Show()
function?" type.


Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:34:50 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?
Well if you are not technical enough to come up with the questions yourself,
the answers won't make enough sense to tell if the person answering really
knows the answers or read this news item.
That being said, I like to ask problem solving questions that are not
related to a language. Ask brain teasers, for want of a better description,
and see how the person goes about answering.
Most people I have ever met in the industry that are good at what they do,
are problem solvers, and can adapt to a new language's syntax fairly
quickly, and can find the answers to the irregular items when needed.

If you really need lots of help with this I would look into obtaining the
services of a consultant in your area for help with the process. Possibly
pickup a book or course for yourself so when you sit in the interview you
can learn something. Of course you have no way of knowing if the guy
consulting is any good other than past customers. Any consultant that won't
give you a list of past customers and references, is someone who you don't
want to work with.

(To everyone that said he should not ask for something for free, maybe you
could at least help point him in the right direction. I know there is a tech
slump job wise, but some advice won't kill you (or make your family starve
for that matter)).


Quote:
> Hi
> I would like to put together a list of about 10 questions for hiring a
> pretty advanced VB.NET and ADO.NET programmer. I am not very technical.
> Would have anyone have some questions that I can use? Also a few for SQL
as
> well.



Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:15:46 GMT  
 How do I tech out a prospective programmer?
Thanks for you help,
Erich


Quote:
> Well if you are not technical enough to come up with the questions
yourself,
> the answers won't make enough sense to tell if the person answering really
> knows the answers or read this news item.
> That being said, I like to ask problem solving questions that are not
> related to a language. Ask brain teasers, for want of a better
description,
> and see how the person goes about answering.
> Most people I have ever met in the industry that are good at what they do,
> are problem solvers, and can adapt to a new language's syntax fairly
> quickly, and can find the answers to the irregular items when needed.

> If you really need lots of help with this I would look into obtaining the
> services of a consultant in your area for help with the process. Possibly
> pickup a book or course for yourself so when you sit in the interview you
> can learn something. Of course you have no way of knowing if the guy
> consulting is any good other than past customers. Any consultant that
won't
> give you a list of past customers and references, is someone who you don't
> want to work with.

> (To everyone that said he should not ask for something for free, maybe you
> could at least help point him in the right direction. I know there is a
tech
> slump job wise, but some advice won't kill you (or make your family starve
> for that matter)).



> > Hi
> > I would like to put together a list of about 10 questions for hiring a
> > pretty advanced VB.NET and ADO.NET programmer. I am not very technical.
> > Would have anyone have some questions that I can use? Also a few for SQL
> as
> > well.



Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:35:56 GMT  
 
 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. High tech analysis of the financial markets for the high tech programmer - indub.gif (0/1)

2. WANTED: Programmer & Tech Support People

3. Moving Client Server Tech to .NET Tech.

4. Questions to ask prospective VB employee

5. university EMR send outs

6. on the outs

7. Learning the ins and outs of Peek and Poke

8. How to handle print outs in VB?

9. Filesystem Time outs

10. Session Variable Time-outs

11. Time-outs

12. Need help with time outs

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software