Change TCP/IP port configuration
Author Message
 Change TCP/IP port configuration

Hi group,

Assuming that I'm taking the right approach with this, I have an intranet
server that is responsible for printing a bunch of letters when a user
requests them.  I'd like to set things up so that the user can select one of
6 printers to print to.  All of these printers use the same drivers, so I
just installed on single printer on the server using a TCP/IP port.  Right
now, to select which printer I want to print to, I just change the IP
address for this port, and it goes to the correct printer.  I'd like to
write a program that would perform this change for me.  While I know where
the TCP/IP port info is stored in the registry, just changing it there does
not work, since I guess the server doesn't have any reason to refresh its
data from the registry.  So, does anyone know how I can change TCP/IP port
configuration in VB .NET?  I'm really just not sure where to even start.  (I
guess the first thing I should do is install VB .NET.  I'm using VB6 still,
but I should be getting .NET in a couple of days.  I'm not worried about
learning whatever else I need to learn.  The basics shouldn't be a problem.)

Thanks a lot,

Ray at work

Sat, 14 May 2005 04:42:18 GMT
 Change TCP/IP port configuration
Most likely, you'll have to shutdown the spooler service, and restart it
after changing the ipaddress.

HTH

Quote:
> Hi group,

> Assuming that I'm taking the right approach with this, I have an intranet
> server that is responsible for printing a bunch of letters when a user
> requests them.  I'd like to set things up so that the user can select one
of
> 6 printers to print to.  All of these printers use the same drivers, so I
> just installed on single printer on the server using a TCP/IP port.  Right
> now, to select which printer I want to print to, I just change the IP
> address for this port, and it goes to the correct printer.  I'd like to
> write a program that would perform this change for me.  While I know where
> the TCP/IP port info is stored in the registry, just changing it there
does
> not work, since I guess the server doesn't have any reason to refresh its
> data from the registry.  So, does anyone know how I can change TCP/IP port
> configuration in VB .NET?  I'm really just not sure where to even start.
(I
> guess the first thing I should do is install VB .NET.  I'm using VB6
still,
> but I should be getting .NET in a couple of days.  I'm not worried about
> learning whatever else I need to learn.  The basics shouldn't be a
problem.)

> Thanks a lot,

> Ray at work

Sun, 15 May 2005 02:31:46 GMT
 Change TCP/IP port configuration
Now there's a damn good idea.  Thanks a lot Rihard T. Edwards.

Ray at work

Quote:
> Most likely, you'll have to shutdown the spooler service, and restart it
> after changing the ipaddress.

> HTH

message

> > Hi group,

> > Assuming that I'm taking the right approach with this, I have an
intranet
> > server that is responsible for printing a bunch of letters when a user
> > requests them.  I'd like to set things up so that the user can select
one
> of
> > 6 printers to print to.  All of these printers use the same drivers, so
> > just installed on single printer on the server using a TCP/IP port.
Right
> > now, to select which printer I want to print to, I just change the IP
> > address for this port, and it goes to the correct printer.  I'd like to
> > write a program that would perform this change for me.  While I know
where
> > the TCP/IP port info is stored in the registry, just changing it there
> does
> > not work, since I guess the server doesn't have any reason to refresh
its
> > data from the registry.  So, does anyone know how I can change TCP/IP
port
> > configuration in VB .NET?  I'm really just not sure where to even start.
> (I
> > guess the first thing I should do is install VB .NET.  I'm using VB6
> still,
> > but I should be getting .NET in a couple of days.  I'm not worried about
> > learning whatever else I need to learn.  The basics shouldn't be a
> problem.)

> > Thanks a lot,

> > Ray at work

Sun, 15 May 2005 02:53:30 GMT

1. TCP/IP configuration

2. DNS configuration in TCP/IP properties

3. TCP/IP configuration

4. Opening a TCP/IP port with access

5. TCP/IP ports

6. Read and write TCP/IP ports??

7. Testing TCP/IP Ports in VB5 ?

8. Listen to TCP/IP PORT

9. Ports, TCP/IP and all things like that.

10. Reading and Sending to a TCP/IP port?

11. Redirecting Serial Port to TCP/IP socket?

12. ActiveX error when adding tcp/ip printer port?