Windows Service in VB.NET 
Author Message
 Windows Service in VB.NET

Hi there,

    Could I ask a big favour for somebody to make a blank 'Windows Service"
project in VB.NET and zip it up for me please?  I ask this as I do not
posess the template to do one myself.  Much appreciation and thanks in
advance.

Nick.



Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:34:22 GMT  
 Windows Service in VB.NET

says...

Quote:
> Hi there,

>     Could I ask a big favour for somebody to make a blank 'Windows Service"
> project in VB.NET and zip it up for me please?  I ask this as I do not
> posess the template to do one myself.  Much appreciation and thanks in
> advance.

http://tinyurl.com/8mj8

--
Patrick Steele
Microsoft .NET MVP
http://radio.weblogs.com/0110109



Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:46:31 GMT  
 Windows Service in VB.NET
Thanks that will do nicely.

Nick.



Quote:

> says...
> > Hi there,

> >     Could I ask a big favour for somebody to make a blank 'Windows
Service"
> > project in VB.NET and zip it up for me please?  I ask this as I do not
> > posess the template to do one myself.  Much appreciation and thanks in
> > advance.

> http://tinyurl.com/8mj8

> --
> Patrick Steele
> Microsoft .NET MVP
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0110109



Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:58:06 GMT  
 Windows Service in VB.NET
Would I take it from the example that services are installed by a host
application?  meaning that if I wish to make a windows service thats
actually used I have to make a program that comes with it to
install/uninstall it?  Sorry but I'm new to making services, thanks in
advance.

Nick



Quote:

> says...
> > Hi there,

> >     Could I ask a big favour for somebody to make a blank 'Windows
Service"
> > project in VB.NET and zip it up for me please?  I ask this as I do not
> > posess the template to do one myself.  Much appreciation and thanks in
> > advance.

> http://tinyurl.com/8mj8

> --
> Patrick Steele
> Microsoft .NET MVP
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0110109



Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:17:55 GMT  
 Windows Service in VB.NET
You must simply add an installer to the service (right-click on the "design"
view, you'll see the option). Then change the properties of the
ServiceController and ServiceInstallerController objects to give your
service its proper name, runtime environment and startup mode. When you
later create a setup project in your solution, it'll automatically process
the service. I just did that, it works quite well, except the service
doesn't start at the end of installation and you're not prompted for a
reboot unless you use some other tricks that were obviously overlooked by
the .Net IDE creators. Look at all the threads where I ask about deployment
in this group.
--
Pierre Szwarc
Paris, France
PGP key ID 0x75B5779B
------------------------------------------------
Science is true. Don't be misled by facts.
------------------------------------------------


| Would I take it from the example that services are installed by a host
| application?  meaning that if I wish to make a windows service thats
| actually used I have to make a program that comes with it to
| install/uninstall it?  Sorry but I'm new to making services, thanks in
| advance.



Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:36:03 GMT  
 Windows Service in VB.NET
Thanks again, much appreciative of the help.

Nick.


Quote:
> You must simply add an installer to the service (right-click on the
"design"
> view, you'll see the option). Then change the properties of the
> ServiceController and ServiceInstallerController objects to give your
> service its proper name, runtime environment and startup mode. When you
> later create a setup project in your solution, it'll automatically process
> the service. I just did that, it works quite well, except the service
> doesn't start at the end of installation and you're not prompted for a
> reboot unless you use some other tricks that were obviously overlooked by
> the .Net IDE creators. Look at all the threads where I ask about
deployment
> in this group.
> --
> Pierre Szwarc
> Paris, France
> PGP key ID 0x75B5779B
> ------------------------------------------------
> Science is true. Don't be misled by facts.
> ------------------------------------------------



> | Would I take it from the example that services are installed by a host
> | application?  meaning that if I wish to make a windows service thats
> | actually used I have to make a program that comes with it to
> | install/uninstall it?  Sorry but I'm new to making services, thanks in
> | advance.



Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:40:47 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Windows Service in VB.NET - Failed to process service command

2. Windows Services in VB.net

3. Problem with windows service in vb.net

4. deploying windows service application (vb.net)

5. windows service using VB.NET

6. Help Urgently Needed: Example on killing a windows service using VB.Net

7. Printing an image from a Windows service in vb.net

8. How do I kill a windows service using VB.Net?

9. Installing VB.NET Windows Service on different machine.

10. Self-Installing VB.NET Windows Service

11. windows service. vb.net

12. Impersonate a user inside a windows service (vb.net)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software