Converting a VB.Net source to a C#.Net source
Author Message
 Converting a VB.Net source to a C#.Net source

Hello!

Are some of you aware of a possibility for (semi)automatic conversion of a
VB.Net source to a C#.Net source?

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:22:53 GMT
 Converting a VB.Net source to a C#.Net source
A few minutes ago I came across a web service that does C# to VB.Net.

http://www.kamalpatel.net/ConvertCSharp2VB.aspx

I'd try contacting the author to see if he's working on the reverse
conversion.

Quote:
> Hello!

> Are some of you aware of a possibility for (semi)automatic conversion of a
> VB.Net source to a C#.Net source?

> Best regards,

> Henrik Dahl

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:04:14 GMT
 Converting a VB.Net source to a C#.Net source
It's funny that you ask about a VB.NET to C# converter. I keep seeing posts
re a C# to VB.NET converter, but not the other way around. There are a
couple websites that convert from C# to VB.NET, but for some reason they
don't do it in the reverse direction. Strange. Unfortunately, that means
that these sites won't be of any help to you.

Check out "The .NET Languages: A Quick Translation Guide". Every chapter has
direct translation tables that show you how to convert the entire VB.NET
syntax to C# (and back). A couple free copies are being given away in April
at www.EggheadCafe.com

Quote:
> Hello!

> Are some of you aware of a possibility for (semi)automatic conversion of a
> VB.Net source to a C#.Net source?

> Best regards,

> Henrik Dahl

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:13:46 GMT
 Converting a VB.Net source to a C#.Net source

Quote:
> It's funny that you ask about a VB.NET to C# converter. I keep seeing
posts
> re a C# to VB.NET converter, but not the other way around. There are a
> couple websites that convert from C# to VB.NET, but for some reason they
> don't do it in the reverse direction. Strange. Unfortunately, that means
> that these sites won't be of any help to you.

I think you can use CodeDom to do that. The challenge with VB.NET -> C# will
be in converting all the VB.NET legacy syntax into C# syntax.
Though I'm sure it's doable. The question is who has time to do that? :)
Sorry, it does not help much. Just my 2 cents. :(

Quote:

> Check out "The .NET Languages: A Quick Translation Guide". Every chapter
has
> direct translation tables that show you how to convert the entire VB.NET
> syntax to C# (and back). A couple free copies are being given away in
April
> at www.EggheadCafe.com

> > Hello!

> > Are some of you aware of a possibility for (semi)automatic conversion of
> > VB.Net source to a C#.Net source?

> > Best regards,

> > Henrik Dahl

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:37:29 GMT
 Converting a VB.Net source to a C#.Net source
The web service you pointed out is a bit half-baked, as it tends to draw the
boundaries a bit off.

Currently, the best way to go from language to language is to decompile. As
most decompilers currently decompile to C#, this covers VB.NET to C#.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

****
Think outside the box!
****

Quote:
> A few minutes ago I came across a web service that does C# to VB.Net.

> http://www.kamalpatel.net/ConvertCSharp2VB.aspx

> I'd try contacting the author to see if he's working on the reverse
> conversion.

> > Hello!

> > Are some of you aware of a possibility for (semi)automatic conversion of
> > VB.Net source to a C#.Net source?

> > Best regards,

> > Henrik Dahl

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:36:18 GMT
 Converting a VB.Net source to a C#.Net source
We build custom translation tools.
For a sufficient volume of code, this makes sense.
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/Porting/Porting_files/frame.htm

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D. CTO Semantic Designs, Inc.
http://www.semdesigns.com

Quote:
> Hello!

> Are some of you aware of a possibility for (semi)automatic conversion of a
> VB.Net source to a C#.Net source?

> Best regards,

> Henrik Dahl

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:59:11 GMT

1. Convert VB.Net to C#, convert C# to VB.Net

2. VB.NET: Steps for Converting a Windows .NET Application to a Web .NET Application

3. Looking for open source project that write a FTP client in VB.NET

4. How safe is vb.net source

5. Looking for open source project that write a FTP client in VB.NET

6. Analyze source code for unused variables? vb.net

7. Problem in opening VB.Net project in Source Safe

8. VB.NET source codes?

9. Accounting source (VB.NET preferably)

10. VB.Net and Source Safe?

11. How to hook VB.Net into Visual Source Safe

12. VB.NET Source Code Line Delimiter