config file disappears when debuging
Author Message
 config file disappears when debuging

I was playing around with 1.1 and the final beta of VS.  I have a demo
solution (not mine) created in 1.0 .  When I run/debug it in VS, it always
bombs because it can't find the referenced config file.  I've recreated the
config file and placed it where it's expected.  If I just run the .exe, it's
fine.  However, when I run it in debug mode the config file is deleted
before the first line of code is hit (however it doesn't appear in the
recycle bin)!  I've stepped through the code and can't find anything other
than a single read to get the db connection string (the delete occurs before
the reference).  I can run/debug the program if I paste a copy of the config
file in the bin directory after I start.  I'm a real newcommer to vb.net so
maybe I'm missing something.  Could anyone clue me in.

Many thanks
Kevin Vogler

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 06:28:44 GMT
 config file disappears when debuging
Hi there Kevin

Yep bin there, done that, .... many moons ago. :)

You need to create the config file in Visual Studio. Go Projects : Add
New Item > then search for config file. Once you've done that and you
start the de{*filter*}, Visual Studio will still clear the old outputs but
they will replaced by new outputs including the new config file you
have added to Solution Explorer.

You should only edit the config file in the manner you currently are
once the project has been deployed. When still developing, you should
edit the config file in Solution Explorer.

HTH
Richard

Quote:

> I was playing around with 1.1 and the final beta of VS.  I have a demo
> solution (not mine) created in 1.0 .  When I run/debug it in VS, it always
> bombs because it can't find the referenced config file.  I've recreated the
> config file and placed it where it's expected.  If I just run the .exe, it's
> fine.  However, when I run it in debug mode the config file is deleted
> before the first line of code is hit (however it doesn't appear in the
> recycle bin)!  I've stepped through the code and can't find anything other
> than a single read to get the db connection string (the delete occurs before
> the reference).  I can run/debug the program if I paste a copy of the config
> file in the bin directory after I start.  I'm a real newcommer to vb.net so
> maybe I'm missing something.  Could anyone clue me in.

> Many thanks
> Kevin Vogler

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:12:34 GMT
 config file disappears when debuging
many thanks

Kevin

Quote:
> Hi there Kevin

> Yep bin there, done that, .... many moons ago. :)

> You need to create the config file in Visual Studio. Go Projects : Add
> New Item > then search for config file. Once you've done that and you
> start the de{*filter*}, Visual Studio will still clear the old outputs but
> they will replaced by new outputs including the new config file you
> have added to Solution Explorer.

> You should only edit the config file in the manner you currently are
> once the project has been deployed. When still developing, you should
> edit the config file in Solution Explorer.

> HTH
> Richard

> > I was playing around with 1.1 and the final beta of VS.  I have a demo
> > solution (not mine) created in 1.0 .  When I run/debug it in VS, it
always
> > bombs because it can't find the referenced config file.  I've recreated
the
> > config file and placed it where it's expected.  If I just run the .exe,
it's
> > fine.  However, when I run it in debug mode the config file is deleted
> > before the first line of code is hit (however it doesn't appear in the
> > recycle bin)!  I've stepped through the code and can't find anything
other
> > than a single read to get the db connection string (the delete occurs
before
> > the reference).  I can run/debug the program if I paste a copy of the
config
> > file in the bin directory after I start.  I'm a real newcommer to vb.net
so
> > maybe I'm missing something.  Could anyone clue me in.

> > Many thanks
> > Kevin Vogler

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:36:47 GMT

1. how to read from xml config ex: web.config

2. VBScript debuging in ASP files

3. Debuging a compiled file.

4. config file get deleted when I compile

5. several config files

6. Config File

7. .config file with smart client

8. reading web.config type file from windows service

9. CONFIG file rebuilt on every build

10. about app.config file

11. CONFIG files in VStudio 2003

12. Problem with config files in VB.NET 2003