Any advice for a good VB .net book?
Author Message
 Any advice for a good VB .net book?

Any one please give me some adive for a good VB .net book to read.
I have no VB6.0 programing experience before, but have some Java programing
history and learning C# now.

thanks

Songbl

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:24:44 GMT
 Any advice for a good VB .net book?
I have good advice: look into past messages in this newsgroup. About every
day someone asks for advice about books.
Frank

Quote:
> Any one please give me some adive for a good VB .net book to read.
> I have no VB6.0 programing experience before, but have some Java
programing
> history and learning C# now.

> thanks

> Songbl

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:57:10 GMT
 Any advice for a good VB .net book?

Quote:
> Any one please give me some adive for a good VB .net book to read.
> I have no VB6.0 programing experience before, but have some Java
programing
> history and learning C# now.

This might not be the advice you are looking for, but if you are a Java
programmer, I would suggest sticking with C#, or possibly J#.  VB, C#, and
managed C++ all are equal in .NET,and one has no advantage over the other.
VB syntax is quite different, having shed itself of the arcane requriements
of C, C++ that were (unfortunately and needlessly) carried over to C# and
Java.

If you are seeking to widen your job prospects by learning VB as well as C#,
then by all means I would suggest doing so.  As with all teh .NET languages,
there is so much to them now, that you will need several books to gain
strength in a gien .NET language.   The biggest part of what you will learn
is the .NET framework (a.k.a. the CLR) and the myriad of objects and classes
it has.

I have been a VB programmer since version 1, and QuickBasic, fortran, COBOL,
and Clipper before that.  As an aside, I learned Java, built a few programs
to get used to it, and (subjectively speaking here) found it about a
generation or two behind VB, and abandoned it.  If I wanted cross OS (cross
platform is a misnomer), I'd get Mainsoft's Win32 library for whatever UNIX
flavor I needed, Software AG's VB runtime library for whatever UNIX flavor I
needed, and write the app in VB.  Or tell them to get a good Windows box and
show them what modern OSs and languages can do. :)

Good areas to be strong in:

Web Forms (not just 2-tiered ASP.NET mimicing the old ASP with reams of VB
Script, JavaScript, and HTML user controls)
    ASP .NET and VB .NET Web Programming
        by Matt J. Crouch
    Moving to ASP.NET: Web Development with VB .NET
        by Steve Harris, Rob MacDonald

Windows Forms & General VB.NET, .NET Framework
    Fast Track Visual Basic .NET
        by Rocky Lhotka, Billy Hollis
    Understanding the .NET Framework
        by Tony Baer, Jan D. Narkiewicz, Kent Tegels, Chandu Thota, Whitlow
    Professional VB.NET, 2nd Edition
        by Fred Barwell, Richard Blair, Jonathan Crossland, Richard Case,
Bill Forgey,
        Whitney Hankison, Billy S. Hollis, Rockford Lhotka, Tim McCarthy, et
al

ADO.NET
    Database Programming With Visual Basic .NET
        By Carsten Thomsen
    Professional ADO.NET
        by Julian Skinner, Bipin Joshi, Donny Mack, Doug Seven, Fabio
Claudio Ferracchiati,
        Jan Narkiewicz, John McTainsh, Kevin Hoffman, Matthew Milner, Paul
{*filter*}enson

Web Services
    Real World XML Web Services: For VB and VB .NET Developers
        by Yasser Shohoud
    Beginning .NET Web Services with VB.NET
        by Karli Watson, Joe Bustos

Remoting Services
    Visual Basic .NET Remoting Handbook
        by Jon Pinnock, David Curran
    Advanced .NET Remoting
        by Ingo Rammer

There are many other books as good or better, I am sure.  And what is good
to one programmer may not be good to another.  So these are subjective
recommendations.

The best source of education on VB.NET, or any language for that matter, is
time spent in front of the keyboard.  Work through all the sample code so
you understand them, and them experiment on your own.  You'll probably learn
enough to write your own book. :)

Best of luck,

Jeff Jones

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:26:49 GMT
 Any advice for a good VB .net book?
if you already know one or two languages, "VisualBasic.Net and the .NEt
platform : an advanced guide" by Dan Appleman is a good one.

Cordially

Richard

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:37:15 GMT
 Any advice for a good VB .net book?
Can Appleman get any more full of him self? He is a GREAT programmer and
teacher, but when reading his books, the ego get in my way. I don't care if
you've been programming C since 1903 Danny, just tell me what I need to
know. He also does this thing where he says "this book is better than those
other books because I wont do ..." and then 20 pages later, he does that
same thing that he was just saying he wouldn't do.

Whatever - there is much to be gained from Appleman's books, if you can
stomach his personality and sense of humor (or lack there of).

Quote:
> if you already know one or two languages, "VisualBasic.Net and the .NEt
> platform : an advanced guide" by Dan Appleman is a good one.

> Cordially

> Richard

Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:13:48 GMT
 Any advice for a good VB .net book?
The book mentioned (VisualBasic.Net and the .NET Platform : An Advanced
Guide) was authored by Andrew Troelson.

Sat, 18 Dec 2004 04:26:19 GMT

1. Find good book about using CR.NET with VS.NET and .NET Framework

2. Best Book on VB dot net Programming (the code side, not the GUI)

3. Best vb.net teaching book wanted

4. Please suggest good book on VB.NET

5. What's the Best Vb.NET Book ??

6. Good book for vb.net

7. Any good VB.NET book recommend?

8. Newbie - A good book for VB.NET

9. Can anyone recommend a good book for learining VB.NET

10. Can anyone recomend to me a good book or document for VB.NET

11. Good VB.Net Book

12. Good VB.NET Book?