VB.NET & Crystal Reports .NET -- Archictecture question... 
Author Message
 VB.NET & Crystal Reports .NET -- Archictecture question...

So, here's my project architecture thus far:

UI = VB.NET exe
Business Layer = VB.NET dll
Data Layer = VB.NET dll

I'd like to put my reports (developed using Crystal Reports) in a seperate
DLL (call it MyReports.dll) and then call those reports from the UI.exe.
I'm assuming this is possible but...  From I'm trying to do something like
this:

Dim myReport as New MyReports.myCrystalReport()  '(Where myCrystalReport is
the name of the .rpt file)

However, VB.NET doesn't seem to like that...  Do I need to create some sort
of "wrapper" around the .rpt file?  (I'm assuming that I need to do
something like this but am not sure...)  I don't want to put the .rpt file
in with the UI.exe b/c I'm going to have a large number of reports and don't
want my UI.exe to balloon in size b/c of the reports being included.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

TK Herman
tk.herman AT ensi.com



Fri, 03 Sep 2004 05:50:49 GMT  
 VB.NET & Crystal Reports .NET -- Archictecture question...
I believe the .rpt files that Crystal uses must be disk files; you can't
compile them into a DLL like you can forms because they're not classes.

You might wish to consult the Crystal Reports website to confirm this; it's
at:

http://www.crystaldecisions.com/products/crystalreports/net/

Hope this helps!

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.



Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:21:31 GMT  
 VB.NET & Crystal Reports .NET -- Archictecture question...
Actually, they DO create classes that represent the behavior of the
reports, and in my tests, I copied an EXE containing a few reports,
renamed the folder containing the original reports, and the reports
still worked fine -- looks to me (without doing any research) like
they actually are compiled into the EXE. -- Ken


Quote:

>I believe the .rpt files that Crystal uses must be disk files; you can't
>compile them into a DLL like you can forms because they're not classes.

>You might wish to consult the Crystal Reports website to confirm this; it's
>at:

>http://www.crystaldecisions.com/products/crystalreports/net/

>Hope this helps!

>Steven Bras, MCSD
>Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

>Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
>Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
>http://www.microsoft.com/security.



Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:30:26 GMT  
 VB.NET & Crystal Reports .NET -- Archictecture question...
Actually, in the properties for the report you can specify either embedded
or linked.

Wayne



Quote:
> Actually, they DO create classes that represent the behavior of the
> reports, and in my tests, I copied an EXE containing a few reports,
> renamed the folder containing the original reports, and the reports
> still worked fine -- looks to me (without doing any research) like
> they actually are compiled into the EXE. -- Ken



> >I believe the .rpt files that Crystal uses must be disk files; you can't
> >compile them into a DLL like you can forms because they're not classes.

> >You might wish to consult the Crystal Reports website to confirm this;
it's
> >at:

> >http://www.crystaldecisions.com/products/crystalreports/net/

> >Hope this helps!

> >Steven Bras, MCSD
> >Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

> >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> >Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
> >Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
> >http://www.microsoft.com/security.



Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:39:35 GMT  
 VB.NET & Crystal Reports .NET -- Archictecture question...
Good to know! I'm writing a chapter for AppDev's VB.NET courseware on
Crystal even as we speak, and I hadn't seen that property. I really
appreciate the "heads up!" -- Ken

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:39:35 -0500, "Wayne Godfrey"

Quote:

>Actually, in the properties for the report you can specify either embedded
>or linked.

>Wayne



>> Actually, they DO create classes that represent the behavior of the
>> reports, and in my tests, I copied an EXE containing a few reports,
>> renamed the folder containing the original reports, and the reports
>> still worked fine -- looks to me (without doing any research) like
>> they actually are compiled into the EXE. -- Ken



>> >I believe the .rpt files that Crystal uses must be disk files; you can't
>> >compile them into a DLL like you can forms because they're not classes.

>> >You might wish to consult the Crystal Reports website to confirm this;
>it's
>> >at:

>> >http://www.crystaldecisions.com/products/crystalreports/net/

>> >Hope this helps!

>> >Steven Bras, MCSD
>> >Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

>> >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>rights.

>> >Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
>> >Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
>> >http://www.microsoft.com/security.



Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:02:02 GMT  
 VB.NET & Crystal Reports .NET -- Archictecture question...
Thanks to all for the correction!

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.



Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:40:45 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Crystal Reports 8.5 (VB6) to Crystal Reports NET (VB.NET) conversion

2. VB.net and crystal reports.net Multiple reports

3. i am using vb.net and crystal reports for visual studio.net

4. SetDataSource not working with Crystal Reports .NET in VB.NET

5. Error in temp file in running crystal report for .net in vb.net

6. Crystal Reports from ASP.NET without compiling VB.NET on SQL/ADO changes

7. Web Reports (ASP.NET and Crystal Reports for .Net)

8. vb .net crystal reports not compatible with Crystal Reports 8.5

9. VB.NET, XML, Crystal Reports, & Refreshing

10. crystal.net report from asp.net created (temporary) table

11. problem with crystal report for .net in asp.net

12. Linking Crystal Report with a stored Procedure -- crystal report for visual studio.net

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software