Advice please on most efficient event creator to check for presence of new file
Author Message
 Advice please on most efficient event creator to check for presence of new file

I have a program that takes a third party data file and extracts information
to create the classes my application is based over.
I am looking for advice on the best way to program an event creator that
checks for new versions of a file arriving in a directory on the pc.
I know this process is going to have to look for files of a certain
extension, and the date created for the file must be subsequent to the one
currently being represented by my application and this should fire off an
event.
My main application acts as a handler responding to this event refreshing
the class information by disposing and recreating the class associations
based upon the latest information in the new file. The main application will
also kick off this background event creator process in the first place.

However, where I am perplexed is how to write the 'event creator' in such a
way as to not become a resource hog.
I have been thinking of writing some kind of infinite loop that wakes up
every so often and will terminate if the main application is no longer
running.
It will check the directory for a new file and fire off an event where
appropriate.
Are there any design patterns that exist that mirror this requirement or
advice anyone has on handling this more efficiently?

Tue, 03 May 2005 18:44:23 GMT

1. Advice please on most efficient event creator to check for presence of new file

2. Try a new help file creator.

3. Try a new help file creator.

4. Try a new help file creator

5. Try a new stand-alone help file creator.

6. Try a new help file creator

7. Need advice for efficient development (Access95)

8. TOTALLY NEW TO PROGRAMMING!!!! Need Advice Please :-)

9. Advice please, for a new UK user

10. New to VBscript - need some advice please!

11. check for presence of field (name) in a recordset

12. Check of outcoming mail presence at end of work