***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***
Author Message
 ***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***

I've just bought my copy of VS, and I've already got an Idea, but it's
a rather complex on for someone that's just getting started.  I have a
10 year old boy that likes to play his computer well beyond the time
that I go to bed.  He's been given an 8:00 Shutdown time that he
continually likes to  push.  Anyway, my idea is to generate a small
application that will run in the background that will shut his machine
down at 8:00pm.  I figure by the time he figures out what's going
on...he'll be old enough to play beyond 8:00 anyway.

Is there a way to do this, and can someone give me a hand in putting
the script together.  I've already got an Idea as to how to put it all
together, just not the knowledge as to the right script.

Thanks in advance.

Sun, 22 May 2005 22:55:11 GMT
 ***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***
errmm... do u really need a .net app to do this?

i am sure if u looked hard enough u could find something
on the (inter)net that  does this ...

Quote:
> I've just bought my copy of VS, and I've already got an Idea, but it's
> a rather complex on for someone that's just getting started.  I have a
> 10 year old boy that likes to play his computer well beyond the time
> that I go to bed.  He's been given an 8:00 Shutdown time that he
> continually likes to  push.  Anyway, my idea is to generate a small
> application that will run in the background that will shut his machine
> down at 8:00pm.  I figure by the time he figures out what's going
> on...he'll be old enough to play beyond 8:00 anyway.

> Is there a way to do this, and can someone give me a hand in putting
> the script together.  I've already got an Idea as to how to put it all
> together, just not the knowledge as to the right script.

> Thanks in advance.

Sun, 22 May 2005 23:42:39 GMT
 ***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***
You can set up a Windows Service with .NET that queries the User and the
time and only allows the User to log on during certain times.

If you are using the NT Kernel (like Windows XP), you can avoid the
programming and set up a log on policy for his account and have Windows shut
him out at the proper time. I am not sure with the older 9x systems what is
involved. There are probably some third party apps to do this, if not.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

****
Think outside the box!
****

Quote:
> I've just bought my copy of VS, and I've already got an Idea, but it's
> a rather complex on for someone that's just getting started.  I have a
> 10 year old boy that likes to play his computer well beyond the time
> that I go to bed.  He's been given an 8:00 Shutdown time that he
> continually likes to  push.  Anyway, my idea is to generate a small
> application that will run in the background that will shut his machine
> down at 8:00pm.  I figure by the time he figures out what's going
> on...he'll be old enough to play beyond 8:00 anyway.

> Is there a way to do this, and can someone give me a hand in putting
> the script together.  I've already got an Idea as to how to put it all
> together, just not the knowledge as to the right script.

> Thanks in advance.

Mon, 23 May 2005 00:35:21 GMT
 ***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***NEWBIE ALERT***
Not too sure how to do that one.  I know how to get to the policies,
but not how to create a new one that you can set time to.

Quote:
> You can set up a Windows Service with .NET that queries the User and the
> time and only allows the User to log on during certain times.

> If you are using the NT Kernel (like Windows XP), you can avoid the
> programming and set up a log on policy for his account and have Windows shut
> him out at the proper time. I am not sure with the older 9x systems what is
> involved. There are probably some third party apps to do this, if not.

> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> ****
> Think outside the box!
> ****

> > I've just bought my copy of VS, and I've already got an Idea, but it's
> > a rather complex on for someone that's just getting started.  I have a
> > 10 year old boy that likes to play his computer well beyond the time
> > that I go to bed.  He's been given an 8:00 Shutdown time that he
> > continually likes to  push.  Anyway, my idea is to generate a small
> > application that will run in the background that will shut his machine
> > down at 8:00pm.  I figure by the time he figures out what's going
> > on...he'll be old enough to play beyond 8:00 anyway.

> > Is there a way to do this, and can someone give me a hand in putting
> > the script together.  I've already got an Idea as to how to put it all
> > together, just not the knowledge as to the right script.

> > Thanks in advance.

Mon, 30 May 2005 23:11:55 GMT

1. Newbie Alert

2. Newbie Help Alert!

3. Newbie Alert

4. AutoActivate an Avi file? (Newbie alert)

5. Newbie Alert!!! Visual Basic design Question

6. newbie - how do I send an alert or msgbox to the client in server based script

7. Parsing a string with data separated by variable numbers of blanks (NEWBIE ALERT)

8. An easy way to toggle Cookies......(Newbie Alert)

9. Treeview question ***newbie alert***

10. Help Using Date - NEWBIE ALERT!

11. Newbie alert

12. ADO Treeview? ***newbie alert***