Assembly and Global Assembly Cache
Author Message
 Assembly and Global Assembly Cache

(Using Beta 2)

When i create my Assembly
give it a strong name
and use Gacutil to put it in the cache, my assembly appears in the
directory,
but i cannot add a reference to it as my assembly does not show up

Is there a reason for this?

Fri, 21 May 2004 17:59:40 GMT
 Assembly and Global Assembly Cache

1st-software.co.uk>),

Quote:
> (Using Beta 2)

> When i create my Assembly
> give it a strong name
> and use Gacutil to put it in the cache, my assembly appears in the
> directory,
> but i cannot add a reference to it as my assembly does not show up

> Is there a reason for this?

You can't reference directly from the GAC with VS.NET:

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0109D&L=DOTNET&P=R11366

Instead, place the assembly in the GAC as well as in some directory on
your hard drive.  When adding a reference, use the "Browse To" option
and pick your assembly from disk.  Since it's placed in the GAC, it will
use the GAC-version when running.

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0107D&L=DOTNET&P=R6575

--
Patrick Steele
Microsoft .NET MVP

Sat, 22 May 2004 01:36:17 GMT
 Assembly and Global Assembly Cache
Thanks Patrick,

Quote:

> 1st-software.co.uk>),
> > (Using Beta 2)

> > When i create my Assembly
> > give it a strong name
> > and use Gacutil to put it in the cache, my assembly appears in the
> > directory,
> > but i cannot add a reference to it as my assembly does not show up

> > Is there a reason for this?

> You can't reference directly from the GAC with VS.NET:

> http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0109D&L=DOTNET&P=R11366

> Instead, place the assembly in the GAC as well as in some directory on
> your hard drive.  When adding a reference, use the "Browse To" option
> and pick your assembly from disk.  Since it's placed in the GAC, it will
> use the GAC-version when running.

> http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0107D&L=DOTNET&P=R6575

> --
> Patrick Steele
> Microsoft .NET MVP

Sat, 22 May 2004 16:59:00 GMT

1. Global Assembly Cache Problem

2. Application Assembly Cache ?

3. How to retrieve global Assembly Attributes

4. How to create a global variable across an assembly

5. Is it possible to combine multiple assemblies into one assembly library?

6. Use .NET assemblies in VBA

7. cabinet assembly

8. Problem Referencing dotnet assembly from VBA

9. Does Word do Document Assembly?

10. Creating Assembly Document using UserForm

11. What is an Assembly file?

12. assembly / Intelisense tooltip