newbie question about FileSystemWatcher
Author Message
 newbie question about FileSystemWatcher

We have a folder on a pc where an intrument will be putting files.  My goal
is to "automajically" move those files to a server.  The move to the server
will involve parsing some info out of the filename and moving it to a
specific folder.  I am a pretty good script writer and could do this easy
enough by scheduling a script to run every ~10 minutes.

Would it be more efficient if I did this using FileSystemWatcher and if so
how.  Can dotnet run as a service or what?

thanks
Mike

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:35:23 GMT
 newbie question about FileSystemWatcher
You could start off with a Windows Service template. I've never used it
so I can't help you there. The MSDN help in VS.net has a good example on
using the file system watcher class. I setup something to do basically
what your talking about in just a little while. You could also use the
NotifyIcon class to just have an icon for your app in the System Tray.
Good luck.

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:52:09 GMT
 newbie question about FileSystemWatcher
Thanks.  I have it doing most of what I want now but I wasn't suer if it
being a .exe was the way to go.  I will look into the NotifyIcon.

Thanks again
Mike

Quote:
> You could start off with a Windows Service template. I've never used it
> so I can't help you there. The MSDN help in VS.net has a good example on
> using the file system watcher class. I setup something to do basically
> what your talking about in just a little while. You could also use the
> NotifyIcon class to just have an icon for your app in the System Tray.
> Good luck.

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:05:22 GMT
 newbie question about FileSystemWatcher

says...
Hello again Mike here's a URL to an Example on how to use the
FileSystemWatcher calss.

http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=4841

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:15:25 GMT
 newbie question about FileSystemWatcher

says...
Quote:
> Thanks.  I have it doing most of what I want now but I wasn't suer if it
> being a .exe was the way to go.  I will look into the NotifyIcon.

> Thanks again
> Mike

> > You could start off with a Windows Service template. I've never used it
> > so I can't help you there. The MSDN help in VS.net has a good example on
> > using the file system watcher class. I setup something to do basically
> > what your talking about in just a little while. You could also use the
> > NotifyIcon class to just have an icon for your app in the System Tray.
> > Good luck.

He're's an example of using the NotifyIcon control:
http://www.developer.com/net/vb/article.php/10926_1581721_4

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:42:33 GMT
 newbie question about FileSystemWatcher
This is pretty cool stuff.  I have added a context menu and I have the icon
displaying when the application is watching the folder.  Is the a way when I
click my button to "activate" and my icon displays it either hides the form
or at least minimizes it?

Thanks again for your help

Mike

Quote:

> says...
> > Thanks.  I have it doing most of what I want now but I wasn't suer if it
> > being a .exe was the way to go.  I will look into the NotifyIcon.

> > Thanks again
> > Mike

> > > You could start off with a Windows Service template. I've never used
it
> > > so I can't help you there. The MSDN help in VS.net has a good example
on
> > > using the file system watcher class. I setup something to do basically
> > > what your talking about in just a little while. You could also use the
> > > NotifyIcon class to just have an icon for your app in the System Tray.
> > > Good luck.

> He're's an example of using the NotifyIcon control:
> http://www.developer.com/net/vb/article.php/10926_1581721_4

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:28:21 GMT

1. FileSystemWatcher Question.

2. Filesystemwatcher question

3. FileSystemWatcher question

4. Newbie question: Session_OnEnd question

5. Resizing forms question (newbie question)

6. Threading and the FileSystemWatcher WatchForChanges method

7. FileSystemWatcher - capture who changed the file?

8. FileSystemWatcher Path / Directory size

9. does FileSystemWatcher class work with Windows 98 ??

10. FileSystemWatcher

11. FileSystemWatcher Help.

12. Get Name Of FileSystemWatcher