Owner draw Menu Border
Author Message
 Owner draw Menu Border

Hi all,

Seems that The Blue Giant has done it again... They ship an exciting new
platform, and AGAIN they manage to keep the best stuff away from
developers...  Of course I'm referring to MicroSoft and the age-old
owner-draw menu issues...

Microsoft has made the old way of doing owner-draw menus easily available,
and if you like the office 97 look, you're all done.  However, MS have
themselves developed a completely new flat style, which I haven't been able
to mimic entirely.  The problem lies with the 3D menu borders: You still get
no control over them!

I read somewhere, that to overcome this, one must override a CreateParams
procedure somewhere, and cause the menu window to be created without a
border.  that would be a start, I guess, but it doesn't really solve my
problem.  For instance, WHERE would I do this?  Since the showing of the
menu window is probably done in a base Component somewhere three inheritance
levels up, this would probably mean having to re-invent the entire MainMenu
control from practically scratch, wouldn't it?

In short: How do I create flat border menus?

If anybody has ANY clue as to how to achieve the seemingly impossible, I'd
appreciate the input greatly.

Thanks in advance,

Danny van Kasteel

Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:40:07 GMT
 Owner draw Menu Border
There was an article at www.codeproject.de some days/weeks ago. I couldn't
find it right now, but I can send you the sources and maybe also the url on
Monday. It seems to be done by subclassing the menu-window. I think this
technique also allows you to insert Edits and Combos into a menu.

Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:03:32 GMT
 Owner draw Menu Border
Thanks a lot!  The sources would be greatly appreciated...

Of course, I have done the subclassing bit already in VB 6, and got it to
work say 95% satisfactory, but it seemed a little kludgy still.  Hopefully
it's better in .net!

TIA,

Danny van Kasteel

Quote:
> There was an article at www.codeproject.de some days/weeks ago. I couldn't
> find it right now, but I can send you the sources and maybe also the url
on
> Monday. It seems to be done by subclassing the menu-window. I think this
> technique also allows you to insert Edits and Combos into a menu.

Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:02:53 GMT

1. Where can I find a good Owner Drawn Combo and Owner Drawn TextBox

2. Help CoolMenus, Bitmap Menus or Owner Draw Menus

3. Removing 3d Effect From Owner-Drawn Menus

4. owner-drawn menus

5. Owner Draw Menu

6. Owner drawn menus

7. Owner-draw menus

8. Owner-draw menus in MDI form...

9. Owner Drawn Menus...and a few problems...

10. Owner drawn menus

11. Owner Drawn Menus

12. Owner drawn menus