Suggestions Needed for Database Implementation 
Author Message
 Suggestions Needed for Database Implementation

Ok I am still pretty new to the VB.Net scene, and I have very limited
experience with XML. My programming background involves mostly ASP and Java
utilizing Access and Oracle databases. I am impressed with .Net so far, and
I can see that XML offers a lot of promise. My dillema is as follows. Would
it be wise to build a medium sized commercial application to be used with an
XML database?  Would it be better to go with Access or Oracle for now? What
are your suggestions?

Also, right now I am in the process of learning how to integrate both VB.Net
and XML (just the beginners type stuff). To store and retrieve data what is
the best method to use? The book I am reading advises against using the
XMLTextReader and suggests using Serialization instead. What do you guys
suggest? What exactly is involved with Serialization? Would it be better to
use a DOM approach? Once again, any input you can give me is greatly
appreciated.



Sun, 12 Dec 2004 02:05:13 GMT  
 Suggestions Needed for Database Implementation
Quote:
> Ok I am still pretty new to the VB.Net scene, and I have very limited
> experience with XML. My programming background involves mostly ASP and
Java
> utilizing Access and Oracle databases. I am impressed with .Net so far,
and
> I can see that XML offers a lot of promise. My dillema is as follows.
Would
> it be wise to build a medium sized commercial application to be used with
an
> XML database?  Would it be better to go with Access or Oracle for now?
What
> are your suggestions?

XML is not a very good way to store databases that you will access.  XML has
one primary purpose - a common format for the interchange of data.  That is
it.  It would be the last format you want to use as a database.  I would
recommend MS's MSDE for a robust database that is free.  If your prior needs
required Access or Oracle, then MSDE will be much faster and more versatile.
If all you need is some simple storage, for which a database would be too
much, then XML is a good idea.  I use a XML file, for example, to store
database connection info in (passwords encrypted, of course).
Don't be fooled by all the hype on XML.  it isn't a database or a language.
It is a least common denominator format for data interchange, that virtually
all development technologies recognize.  If your application is not intended
to interact with other systems of different or unknown technologies, then
you won't need XML.  If you find your self writing code to generate XML (in
.NET), that should be a red flag that you did something wrong (or at least
grossly inefficient).

Quote:
> Also, right now I am in the process of learning how to integrate both
VB.Net
> and XML (just the beginners type stuff). To store and retrieve data what
is
> the best method to use?

A database, unless it is small config type stuff.  Then XML is OK, but so is
the Registry.

Quote:
> The book I am reading advises against using the
> XMLTextReader and suggests using Serialization instead. What do you guys
> suggest? What exactly is involved with Serialization?

Serialization is the process of streaming the instance of an object from one
process to another.  It is not necessarily done in XML, as when using
remoting, but does use XML as the "least common denominator" format when
using web services.  The benefit (and purpose) of Serialization is to allow
Object A in Process A to be used in Process B with no connection back to
Process A.  The object is streamed across the process boundaries, and exists
in Process B.  If not serialized, then Object A has a proxy object created
in Process B, but still continues to exist (and use resources) in Process A.
The XMLTextReader should be your last resort.  It is slower (as is about
anything to do with XML) and less versatile.  For handling data, and moving
it across process boundaries, DataSets are the best object to use.

Quote:
>Would it be better to
> use a DOM approach? Once again, any input you can give me is greatly
> appreciated.

I would recommend using XMLDOM only under the following circumstance:
1.    The XML file or string, though well formed, has a schema that does not
reflect a relational database structure.

It is easier to put any XML into a DataSet and work with it as data (which
is what XML is supposed to be).  However, if the XML schema violates
relational rules, and can't be opened by a DataSet, then you have no choice
but to use the XMLDOM.

XML is one of the best things to happen to IT in a long time, but there is
way more hype than common sense being written and talked about.

What I do is determine my structure (schema) based on a logical tables and
relations basis, and if I need to put it in XML, I export XML from the
object, usually a DataSet.

Jeff Jones



Sun, 12 Dec 2004 02:33:30 GMT  
 Suggestions Needed for Database Implementation
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I will use Access
or MSDE instead, XML looks like something that I might use later but I need
to get this project done ASAP so it will have to wait.

Thanks again,

Ron


Quote:
> > Ok I am still pretty new to the VB.Net scene, and I have very limited
> > experience with XML. My programming background involves mostly ASP and
> Java
> > utilizing Access and Oracle databases. I am impressed with .Net so far,
> and
> > I can see that XML offers a lot of promise. My dillema is as follows.
> Would
> > it be wise to build a medium sized commercial application to be used
with
> an
> > XML database?  Would it be better to go with Access or Oracle for now?
> What
> > are your suggestions?
> XML is not a very good way to store databases that you will access.  XML
has
> one primary purpose - a common format for the interchange of data.  That
is
> it.  It would be the last format you want to use as a database.  I would
> recommend MS's MSDE for a robust database that is free.  If your prior
needs
> required Access or Oracle, then MSDE will be much faster and more
versatile.
> If all you need is some simple storage, for which a database would be too
> much, then XML is a good idea.  I use a XML file, for example, to store
> database connection info in (passwords encrypted, of course).
> Don't be fooled by all the hype on XML.  it isn't a database or a
language.
> It is a least common denominator format for data interchange, that
virtually
> all development technologies recognize.  If your application is not
intended
> to interact with other systems of different or unknown technologies, then
> you won't need XML.  If you find your self writing code to generate XML
(in
> .NET), that should be a red flag that you did something wrong (or at least
> grossly inefficient).

> > Also, right now I am in the process of learning how to integrate both
> VB.Net
> > and XML (just the beginners type stuff). To store and retrieve data what
> is
> > the best method to use?
> A database, unless it is small config type stuff.  Then XML is OK, but so
is
> the Registry.

> > The book I am reading advises against using the
> > XMLTextReader and suggests using Serialization instead. What do you guys
> > suggest? What exactly is involved with Serialization?
> Serialization is the process of streaming the instance of an object from
one
> process to another.  It is not necessarily done in XML, as when using
> remoting, but does use XML as the "least common denominator" format when
> using web services.  The benefit (and purpose) of Serialization is to
allow
> Object A in Process A to be used in Process B with no connection back to
> Process A.  The object is streamed across the process boundaries, and
exists
> in Process B.  If not serialized, then Object A has a proxy object created
> in Process B, but still continues to exist (and use resources) in Process
A.
> The XMLTextReader should be your last resort.  It is slower (as is about
> anything to do with XML) and less versatile.  For handling data, and
moving
> it across process boundaries, DataSets are the best object to use.

> >Would it be better to
> > use a DOM approach? Once again, any input you can give me is greatly
> > appreciated.
> I would recommend using XMLDOM only under the following circumstance:
> 1.    The XML file or string, though well formed, has a schema that does
not
> reflect a relational database structure.

> It is easier to put any XML into a DataSet and work with it as data (which
> is what XML is supposed to be).  However, if the XML schema violates
> relational rules, and can't be opened by a DataSet, then you have no
choice
> but to use the XMLDOM.

> XML is one of the best things to happen to IT in a long time, but there is
> way more hype than common sense being written and talked about.

> What I do is determine my structure (schema) based on a logical tables and
> relations basis, and if I need to put it in XML, I export XML from the
> object, usually a DataSet.

> Jeff Jones



Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:23:19 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Newbie needs a Database suggestion?

2. Need a fast database engine for VB, suggestions?

3. Suggestions needed about how an app should check its database version

4. Suggestions needed about how an app should check its database version

5. SUGGESTIONS, SUGGESTIONS, SUGGESTIONS

6. Module Implementation within a Database

7. database implementation in active x control creation

8. Fastest known sort for database access: any interest in VB implementation [updated]

9. Fastest known sort for database access: any interest in VB implementation

10. Fastest known sort for database access: any interest in VB implementation [updated]

11. Fastest known sort for database access: any interest in VB implementation

12. database implementation in active x control creation

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software