Change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
Author Message
 Change to ASP.NET and VB.NET

Hello All,

My company is using ASP and COM+ for our web-based system.
We want to change it to .NET. Here is our schedule:

Phase 1 - change ASP to ASP.NET without change the code in
              the middle tier COM+ program

Phase 2 - change the COM+ from VB to VB.NET or C#

However, I have a question, is it possible to change to ASP.NET without
change the middle tier code from VB to VB.NET? Now, our COM+ written
by VB seems work fine. So, we want to change to ASP.NET first and our
system must still work after make the change. Is it possible of that?
Also, pls comment for the performance after change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
for the COM+? thx!

Br,
Rayman

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:12:28 GMT
 Change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
Rayman,

Yes - you can change the ASP code to ASP.Net, and call your VB COM Objects
through the COM Interop - no problems.

HTH

Dino

Quote:
> Hello All,

> My company is using ASP and COM+ for our web-based system.
> We want to change it to .NET. Here is our schedule:

> Phase 1 - change ASP to ASP.NET without change the code in
>               the middle tier COM+ program

> Phase 2 - change the COM+ from VB to VB.NET or C#

> However, I have a question, is it possible to change to ASP.NET without
> change the middle tier code from VB to VB.NET? Now, our COM+ written
> by VB seems work fine. So, we want to change to ASP.NET first and our
> system must still work after make the change. Is it possible of that?
> Also, pls comment for the performance after change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
> for the COM+? thx!

> Br,
> Rayman

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:39:42 GMT
 Change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
Heh, I have actually just finished a similar project.  Here's what I found.

1. ASP.NET does NOT interact very well with COM components.  In order to get
it to interact as best as possible, it is necessary to put a page-level
directive aspcompat=true on any web form that is going to be calling a COM
component, and even with that directive there, I would describe the interop
as shaky at best.

2. It depends allot on what data you are passing in to your COM objects.  If
you are passing in any UDTs, pray to god that they do not contain arrays in
them.  That is not supported.  Period.  As in, you CAN NOT DO IT.

The workaround that we found was to create the middle tier in .NET right
away.  We then used .NET remoting to get those classes running under a
different process.  However, in the first phase of the project the .NET
objects didn't do anything but turn around and call into the VB COM+
components.  This got us around the aspcompat issue (as we were running our
objects in a different process), and also made it so that our asp.net
application was using the existing business logic, but we could slowly swap
out the wrapper .NET objects with the real .NET objects and not have to
change a stitch of code, or even recompile, the ASP.NET application.  As for
the performance, no complaints -> .NET talks to other .NET components better
than it does COM components, as it doesn't have to take the marshalling hit
between managed and unmanaged code, but it was not unbearable, and we could
tell the client that it would improve once the business logic was converted
as well.

Sean O'Brien

Quote:
> Hello All,

> My company is using ASP and COM+ for our web-based system.
> We want to change it to .NET. Here is our schedule:

> Phase 1 - change ASP to ASP.NET without change the code in
>               the middle tier COM+ program

> Phase 2 - change the COM+ from VB to VB.NET or C#

> However, I have a question, is it possible to change to ASP.NET without
> change the middle tier code from VB to VB.NET? Now, our COM+ written
> by VB seems work fine. So, we want to change to ASP.NET first and our
> system must still work after make the change. Is it possible of that?
> Also, pls comment for the performance after change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
> for the COM+? thx!

> Br,
> Rayman

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:41:24 GMT
 Change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
Hello,

Thx for your reply :)
However, I would like to know how long does you takes to change the
code from ASP to ASP.NET, and also the manday. I know that it is different
from different system, but I just want to estimate the effort we need to
take
if we start the migration.

From your reply, it seems that the result for change ASP to ASP.NET and keep
existing COM+ program is not very well, is it right? Actually, there have
another
reason for our company to change to .NET. We are now using the Crystal
Report
8.5 as our reporting tools, but the lincence fee is very expensive, so we
are now
seeking another solution for web reporting. As from Microsoft, we know that
Visual
Studio .Net with include the Crystal Report .Net, so we think that the
lincense problem
will be solved after we change to ASP.NET (is it right? anyone can confirm
with me?)

Br,
Rayman

Quote:
> Heh, I have actually just finished a similar project.  Here's what I
found.

> 1. ASP.NET does NOT interact very well with COM components.  In order to
get
> it to interact as best as possible, it is necessary to put a page-level
> directive aspcompat=true on any web form that is going to be calling a COM
> component, and even with that directive there, I would describe the
interop
> as shaky at best.

> 2. It depends allot on what data you are passing in to your COM objects.
If
> you are passing in any UDTs, pray to god that they do not contain arrays
in
> them.  That is not supported.  Period.  As in, you CAN NOT DO IT.

> The workaround that we found was to create the middle tier in .NET right
> away.  We then used .NET remoting to get those classes running under a
> different process.  However, in the first phase of the project the .NET
> objects didn't do anything but turn around and call into the VB COM+
> components.  This got us around the aspcompat issue (as we were running
our
> objects in a different process), and also made it so that our asp.net
> application was using the existing business logic, but we could slowly
swap
> out the wrapper .NET objects with the real .NET objects and not have to
> change a stitch of code, or even recompile, the ASP.NET application.  As
for
> the performance, no complaints -> .NET talks to other .NET components
better
> than it does COM components, as it doesn't have to take the marshalling
hit
> between managed and unmanaged code, but it was not unbearable, and we
could
> tell the client that it would improve once the business logic was
converted
> as well.

> Sean O'Brien

> > Hello All,

> > My company is using ASP and COM+ for our web-based system.
> > We want to change it to .NET. Here is our schedule:

> > Phase 1 - change ASP to ASP.NET without change the code in
> >               the middle tier COM+ program

> > Phase 2 - change the COM+ from VB to VB.NET or C#

> > However, I have a question, is it possible to change to ASP.NET without
> > change the middle tier code from VB to VB.NET? Now, our COM+ written
> > by VB seems work fine. So, we want to change to ASP.NET first and our
> > system must still work after make the change. Is it possible of that?
> > Also, pls comment for the performance after change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
> > for the COM+? thx!

> > Br,
> > Rayman

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:49:37 GMT
 Change to ASP.NET and VB.NET
Rayman,

I think you will find the Crystal Reports that comes with VS.Net is a "lite"
version, and you'll have to pay for the full one still if you wish to use
the extended features.

I think was the case with the Crystal Reports that came with VB
previously...

Dino

Quote:
> [...]

> > tell the client that it would improve once the business logic was
> converted
> > as well.

> > Sean O'Brien

> > > Hello All,

> > > My company is using ASP and COM+ for our web-based system.
> > > We want to change it to .NET. Here is our schedule:

> > > Phase 1 - change ASP to ASP.NET without change the code in
> > >               the middle tier COM+ program

> > > Phase 2 - change the COM+ from VB to VB.NET or C#

> > > However, I have a question, is it possible to change to ASP.NET
without
> > > change the middle tier code from VB to VB.NET? Now, our COM+ written
> > > by VB seems work fine. So, we want to change to ASP.NET first and our
> > > system must still work after make the change. Is it possible of that?
> > > Also, pls comment for the performance after change to ASP.NET and

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:08:55 GMT

1. Change to ASP.NET and VB.NET

2. Crystal Reports from ASP.NET without compiling VB.NET on SQL/ADO changes

3. ADO.NET with ASP.NET using VB.NET

4. Survey on ASP/VS6.0 versus ASP.NET/VS.NET

5. Visual Basic.NET , ASP or ASP.NET

6. VB6/ASP vs .NET/ASP.NET development

7. REXEC from ASP.NET or VB.NET

8. VB.net and asp.net

9. VB.net and ASP.net what is the difference

10. ASP.net VB.Net Stored Procedures in SQL Server

11. Problems With Cookies In ASP.NET/VB.NET

12. REXEC from ASP.NET or VB.NET