DataGrid Driving Me Crazy
Author Message
 DataGrid Driving Me Crazy

Am I the only person that is having difficulty with the DataGrid in VB.NET?  I don't find it to be nearly as easy to use as the MSFlexgrid from VB6.

First of all, I am receiving data through a buffer I am getting from Legacy COBOL through the IBM MQSeries, so I am having to go to a lot of extra trouble to create a DataSet then binding the DataSet Table to the DataGrid.

Secondly, I need the grid to be readonly, but when the grid is readonly = True, the scrollbars will not work until I adjust the size of a row.  That seems like a bug to me, but I haven't seen anyone else having a similiar problem.

Thirdly, the CurrentRowIndex is treating my Header Row and my first Data row as both being an index of 0, therefore I am having trouble distinguishing between a valid DoubleClick and an invalid DoubleClick.

Fourthly, is there an easy way to adjust the column widths besides the PreferredColumnWidth property that is basically horrible.

Fifthly, the DoubleClick event will only even Fire if I click on the RowHeader.  How do I set it to fire when I double click anywhere on the row?

I just don't understand how VB6 can go from having about 4 built in grids availabe to VB.Net having one that is just not very friendly if you are doing anything besides direct DB binding through ADO.  I can understand the "WOW" factor with doing things the DataSet way, but I still have to get my work done this century.

Thanks

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:09:20 GMT
 DataGrid Driving Me Crazy
If this is a Windows Forms DataGrid, make sure you have added a
DataGridTableStyle to your datagrid. Then for each column, add a column
style to the GridColumnsStyles collection. With these column styles, you can
control the columns widths. (Make sure you set the MappingName for each
columnstyle you add).

To make a browser only grid, or to catch the double click, here are some
FAQs.

George Shepherd's Windows Forms FAQ contains entries entitled:

     How do I catch a doubleclick in my datagrid?
             http://www.syncfusion.com/faq/winforms/search/869.asp

     How can I make my grid never have an active edit cell and always select
whole rows (as in a browser-type grid)?
              http://www.syncfusion.com/faq/winforms/search/856.asp

Clay Burch, Syncfusion, Inc.

Download a Free Trial of Essential Suite
visit http://www.syncfusion.com for .NET Essentials

[...]

Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:31:37 GMT

1. Drive letter driving me crazy!

2. DAO is driving me crazy

3. sql / vba driving me crazy!

4. sql /VBA driving me crazy!

5. The syntax in Access is driving me crazy.

6. HELP a form is driving me crazy!!!

7. Database Query - Driving me crazy!

8. ComboBox Binding Driving Me Crazy

9. Packing - Driving me CRAZY!

10. Toolbar and Imagelist - Wanna drive yourself crazy?

11. TypeLoadException is driving me crazy

12. Driving me crazy