Binaryreader / Readbytes for reading ID3-tags
Author Message
 Binaryreader / Readbytes for reading ID3-tags

For own use I've made a program where I could upload all the content of the ID3-tag in a mp3-file into a database.
Now I want to upgrade this program to VB.net.

I ran into a problem with reading the ID4-tag from a mp3-file.

The problem is the file-function Get in VB, this is not possible anymore.
I use this to read the last 256 bytes from a file.
I saw that there is class called Binaryreader.

Is it possible to use the function ReadBytes so that it will only read the last 256 bytes??

I've searched in several newsgroup for some extra information concerning the ID3-tag.
The samples I found where all about the ID3v2-tag, but I only used the old-tag.
So these samples gave me nothing I could work from.

Hopefully someone can give me a hand.
Migrating to vb.net is not something I should do in a day.

Gr. Aart

Mon, 02 May 2005 01:00:13 GMT
 Binaryreader / Readbytes for reading ID3-tags
Quote:
> For own use I've made a program where I could upload all the content of

the ID3-tag in a mp3-file
Quote:
> into a database.  Now I want to upgrade this program to VB.net.
> I ran into a problem with reading the ID4-tag from a mp3-file.
> The problem is the file-function Get in VB, this is not possible anymore.
> I use this to read the last 256 bytes from a file.
> I saw that there is class called Binaryreader.

> Is it possible to use the function ReadBytes so that it will only read the

last 256 bytes??
Yes it is.  You just have to first set the current position in the Stream.
The below line is from an VB.NET assembly I wrote to handle reading and
writing of ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags.

    MP3BinaryReader.BaseStream.Position =
MP3BinaryReader.BaseStream.Length - c_ID3v1TagSize

So, at the beginning of my ID3v1 tag read procedure, I set the current
position to the last 128 bytes.  You could just set the position to the last
256 bytes.

I'm going to soon be adding ID3v2.4 support to my assembly as well, so maybe
you can lend me a hand if I get in trouble.  ;-)

Good luck.

 - Mitchell S. Honnert

PS:  If anyone would like a copy of my ID3 assembly, send a request to

is still officially in beta, so I don't have a web page set up for it, but
as long as I get some feedback, I'm happy to send out the DLL to anyone who
wants it.

Mon, 02 May 2005 14:38:23 GMT

1. Binaryreader / ReadBytes

2. reading Winamp ID3 and 3V2 tags.

3. Reading ID3 tags in VB app

4. Reading MP3 ID3 Tag

5. Help Reading ID3 Tag Information from MP3 file

6. ID3 tag viewing ??? Can you view the ID3 Tag information from an MP3 ?

7. ID3 tags, the proper way

8. Need an Easy MP3 ID3-tag editor ??

9. Mp3 id3 tags

10. ID3 Tags