Memory not released with vb.net and cr.net
Author Message
 Memory not released with vb.net and cr.net

Hello, i am using vb.net and cr.net on a Winxp pro box.
I have an application that has only 2 forms. Form 1 loads
and it contains 2 datagrids and 2 dataset : memory
usage : 18.220k and virtual : 10.550k. Form1 has a button
that loads form2 that only contains a
crystalreportviewer : memory usage goes upto : 36.980k
and virtual : 22.780k. When i call me.close of the form2
no memory is released. I tried crystalreportviewer.dispose
() before me.close same sympton no memory is released !?
Is this normal? I even tried then the system.gc.collect()
method and no memory is released. Only when i close form1
that the memory is released but that's natural since i
terminated the application.

I am missing something, any pointers would most welcome,
thank you.

Kind Regards
Jorge Cavalheiro

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:37:13 GMT
 Memory not released with vb.net and cr.net
With the CLR, garbage collection is handled differently than previous
platforms. Objects in memory are not released immediately when there are 0
references to them. Instead, they remain in memory for a period of time. The
reason for this is that if the object is used again, it won't have to be
recompiled. The garbage collection waits longer if there is more system
memory available, and shorter if memory is needed.

HTH,

--
Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP

Quote:
> Hello, i am using vb.net and cr.net on a Winxp pro box.
> I have an application that has only 2 forms. Form 1 loads
> and it contains 2 datagrids and 2 dataset : memory
> usage : 18.220k and virtual : 10.550k. Form1 has a button
> that loads form2 that only contains a
> crystalreportviewer : memory usage goes upto : 36.980k
> and virtual : 22.780k. When i call me.close of the form2
> no memory is released. I tried crystalreportviewer.dispose
> () before me.close same sympton no memory is released !?
> Is this normal? I even tried then the system.gc.collect()
> method and no memory is released. Only when i close form1
> that the memory is released but that's natural since i
> terminated the application.

> I am missing something, any pointers would most welcome,
> thank you.

> Kind Regards
> Jorge Cavalheiro

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:20:52 GMT

1. VS.Net + Cr.Net and VB.Net

2. Crystal Report Viewer .NET not releasing memory!?

3. Memory releasing in VB.NET

4. Find good book about using CR.NET with VS.NET and .NET Framework

5. LogOnInfo for CR.net repor viewer and VB.net

6. CR.Net with VB.Net

7. VB.NET & CR.NET : User Defined Function

8. VB.NET application and CR.NET - Change grouping method at runtime

9. Memory leak! (ADO.NET, VB.NET)

10. Parameter to Stored Procedure CR 8.5 VB.Net Specified Cast Not Valid

11. CR 8.5 viewer not working in VB .NET??

12. .NET Listbar for .NET Final Release