Professional Edition or Enterprise Developer Edition 
Author Message
 Professional Edition or Enterprise Developer Edition

Hello.  I was hoping somebody may have some insight between these two
versions.  I want to purchase one which will be an upgrade from my VS6
Enterprise Edition, and it will really just be for personal use.

I've read the Feature Comparison (Choose Your Edition on VS.NET site), and
it seems like the Professional Edition can do just about everything.  I
already have SQL Server and am not particularily interested in Visio or
SourceSafe.  So the remaining differences would be basically the Application
Center Test, Enterprise templates and Frameworks, MS .NET-based reference
applications, and Visual Studio Analyzer.

Are any of these 4 or so tools/functionalities worth the difference in
price?  Or would one or more of these items be particularily useful from
anyones experience?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ideas.
Ben



Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:39:25 GMT  
 Professional Edition or Enterprise Developer Edition

Quote:
> I've read the Feature Comparison (Choose Your Edition on VS.NET site), and
> it seems like the Professional Edition can do just about everything.  I
> already have SQL Server and am not particularily interested in Visio or
> SourceSafe.

Why would you not be interested in Visio and Sourcesafe?  Is there some
other UML modeling tool or source control tool that you plan to use for .NET
development?  If not, then perhaps you need to learn why you need them
before you dismiss them.

Personally, I think that Microsoft's product naming is stupid.  Most
"professionals" should be using all of the tools in the "enterprise
architect" edition.



Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:42:28 GMT  
 Professional Edition or Enterprise Developer Edition
Hello, thanks for sharing your views!

I already have SourceSafe which came with VB6 Enterprise Edition.  I'm not
sure if this is 100% compatible or not with the .NET framework, but I'm
thinking it is since SourceSafe can pretty much manage any text or binary
file.

I've never used Visio before, but heard before that it's a bulky tool.  Then
again, I've also heard many nice comments about it as well.

I want to purchase .NET not for a project, but to get familiar with the
language and how it works  -- ie strictly personal use.  So I don't think
I'll be making any UML designs.

After thinking about it the last couple of days, I'm leaning towards getting
the Professional Edition since it'll probably fulfill all my needs.

I suppose the product naming could be improved.  However, looking at it from
my situation, maybe it's not such a bad naming scheme after all.  Meaning,
I'm thinking of getting the Professional edition.  I consider myself a
Professional, but am not developing anything for an Enterprise, and
therefore do not really need Visio or SourceSafe.  I just need the tools a
Professional might need to implement solutions performed in the development
stage, not the design stage.

Just a thought.

Thanks again,
Ben


Quote:


> > I've read the Feature Comparison (Choose Your Edition on VS.NET site),
and
> > it seems like the Professional Edition can do just about everything.  I
> > already have SQL Server and am not particularily interested in Visio or
> > SourceSafe.

> Why would you not be interested in Visio and Sourcesafe?  Is there some
> other UML modeling tool or source control tool that you plan to use for
.NET
> development?  If not, then perhaps you need to learn why you need them
> before you dismiss them.

> Personally, I think that Microsoft's product naming is stupid.  Most
> "professionals" should be using all of the tools in the "enterprise
> architect" edition.



Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:51:36 GMT  
 Professional Edition or Enterprise Developer Edition
The Visio 2002 that comes with Enterprise Architect is very nice. I've used
it to reverse engineer databases in SQL Server and it did a good job. I'm
sure something like IRWIN would be more comprehensive, but you also pay
through the nose to have that tool as well.

I agree with the person that said that most professional developers would
not use the pro version. I wish MS would change the naing to better reflect
the realworld out here...  :)

--
Lincoln Bovee'
MCSD, MCDBA, on to OCP...


Quote:
> Hello, thanks for sharing your views!

> I already have SourceSafe which came with VB6 Enterprise Edition.  I'm not
> sure if this is 100% compatible or not with the .NET framework, but I'm
> thinking it is since SourceSafe can pretty much manage any text or binary
> file.

> I've never used Visio before, but heard before that it's a bulky tool.
Then
> again, I've also heard many nice comments about it as well.

> I want to purchase .NET not for a project, but to get familiar with the
> language and how it works  -- ie strictly personal use.  So I don't think
> I'll be making any UML designs.

> After thinking about it the last couple of days, I'm leaning towards
getting
> the Professional Edition since it'll probably fulfill all my needs.

> I suppose the product naming could be improved.  However, looking at it
from
> my situation, maybe it's not such a bad naming scheme after all.  Meaning,
> I'm thinking of getting the Professional edition.  I consider myself a
> Professional, but am not developing anything for an Enterprise, and
> therefore do not really need Visio or SourceSafe.  I just need the tools a
> Professional might need to implement solutions performed in the
development
> stage, not the design stage.

> Just a thought.

> Thanks again,
> Ben





> > > I've read the Feature Comparison (Choose Your Edition on VS.NET site),
> and
> > > it seems like the Professional Edition can do just about everything.
I
> > > already have SQL Server and am not particularily interested in Visio
or
> > > SourceSafe.

> > Why would you not be interested in Visio and Sourcesafe?  Is there some
> > other UML modeling tool or source control tool that you plan to use for
> .NET
> > development?  If not, then perhaps you need to learn why you need them
> > before you dismiss them.

> > Personally, I think that Microsoft's product naming is stupid.  Most
> > "professionals" should be using all of the tools in the "enterprise
> > architect" edition.



Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:46:09 GMT  
 Professional Edition or Enterprise Developer Edition
Hello Lincoln.

I don't think I've ever heard any comments about Visio 2002 specifically.
I'll remember your comments.  I've actually never used any version of Visio
before.

So what would be a good name for the Professional version then?  Maybe
'Standard'?

Thanks,
Ben


Quote:
> The Visio 2002 that comes with Enterprise Architect is very nice. I've
used
> it to reverse engineer databases in SQL Server and it did a good job. I'm
> sure something like IRWIN would be more comprehensive, but you also pay
> through the nose to have that tool as well.

> I agree with the person that said that most professional developers would
> not use the pro version. I wish MS would change the naing to better
reflect
> the realworld out here...  :)

> --
> Lincoln Bovee'
> MCSD, MCDBA, on to OCP...



> > Hello, thanks for sharing your views!

> > I already have SourceSafe which came with VB6 Enterprise Edition.  I'm
not
> > sure if this is 100% compatible or not with the .NET framework, but I'm
> > thinking it is since SourceSafe can pretty much manage any text or
binary
> > file.

> > I've never used Visio before, but heard before that it's a bulky tool.
> Then
> > again, I've also heard many nice comments about it as well.

> > I want to purchase .NET not for a project, but to get familiar with the
> > language and how it works  -- ie strictly personal use.  So I don't
think
> > I'll be making any UML designs.

> > After thinking about it the last couple of days, I'm leaning towards
> getting
> > the Professional Edition since it'll probably fulfill all my needs.

> > I suppose the product naming could be improved.  However, looking at it
> from
> > my situation, maybe it's not such a bad naming scheme after all.
Meaning,
> > I'm thinking of getting the Professional edition.  I consider myself a
> > Professional, but am not developing anything for an Enterprise, and
> > therefore do not really need Visio or SourceSafe.  I just need the tools
a
> > Professional might need to implement solutions performed in the
> development
> > stage, not the design stage.

> > Just a thought.

> > Thanks again,
> > Ben





> > > > I've read the Feature Comparison (Choose Your Edition on VS.NET
site),
> > and
> > > > it seems like the Professional Edition can do just about everything.
> I
> > > > already have SQL Server and am not particularily interested in Visio
> or
> > > > SourceSafe.

> > > Why would you not be interested in Visio and Sourcesafe?  Is there
some
> > > other UML modeling tool or source control tool that you plan to use
for
> > .NET
> > > development?  If not, then perhaps you need to learn why you need them
> > > before you dismiss them.

> > > Personally, I think that Microsoft's product naming is stupid.  Most
> > > "professionals" should be using all of the tools in the "enterprise
> > > architect" edition.



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:36:01 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VB 5.0 Professional Edition Vs. VB 5.0 Enterprise Edition

2. VB Enterprise Edition vs. Professional Edition

3. VB 5.0 Enterprise Edition does not contain MS SQL Server 6.5 Developer Edition

4. Learning Edition VS Professional Edition

5. Learning Edition vs. Professional Edition

6. Learning Visual Basic Learning Edition Deluxe/Professional Edition

7. Learning Edition-->> Professional edition Upgrade query

8. VB5 learning edition vs VB5 professional edition

9. Learning edition becomes Enterprise edition

10. Enterprise vrs. Professional editions

11. VB6: Professional vs Enterprise Edition

12. Where can I get VB professional/enterprise edition?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software