Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002
Author Message
 Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002

I upgraded my dev machine to VB.Net 2003 from VB.Net 2002. The project I
have worked on developed a lot of errors apparently related to the
difference in the framework. Is there a way to specify that my project uses
to 1.0 framework and not the 1.1 framework ?

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:56:29 GMT
 Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002
No there is no supported way to point VS.NET 2003 at the 1.0 Framework for
building applications.

Sean Campbell
3 Leaf
Early and Adopter Web Log
http://radio.weblogs.com/0117167/

Quote:
> I upgraded my dev machine to VB.Net 2003 from VB.Net 2002. The project I
> have worked on developed a lot of errors apparently related to the
> difference in the framework. Is there a way to specify that my project
uses
> to 1.0 framework and not the 1.1 framework ?

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:53:54 GMT
 Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002
They appear to have made a bunch of changes to the Framework and how it
behaves. How am I supposed to move a project I just upgraded to 2002 on to
2003 so I can use an IDE that is not a pig and then move it to 2004 when
they will supposedly release an environment as good as VB6 - it willhwve
edit and continue working.
Damn this is a {*filter*}!!! I expected enhancements to the framework, but not
out and out changes to it's behavior!!!

Quote:
> No there is no supported way to point VS.NET 2003 at the 1.0 Framework for
> building applications.

> Sean Campbell
> 3 Leaf
> Early and Adopter Web Log
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > I upgraded my dev machine to VB.Net 2003 from VB.Net 2002. The project I
> > have worked on developed a lot of errors apparently related to the
> > difference in the framework. Is there a way to specify that my project
> uses
> > to 1.0 framework and not the 1.1 framework ?

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:22:42 GMT
 Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002
What isn't working for you?  I just ran an (ASP.NET) VB.NET app on 1.1 and
it works just fine without errors.

-Erik Porter
Microsoft .NET MVP

Quote:
> They appear to have made a bunch of changes to the Framework and how it
> behaves. How am I supposed to move a project I just upgraded to 2002 on to
> 2003 so I can use an IDE that is not a pig and then move it to 2004 when
> they will supposedly release an environment as good as VB6 - it willhwve
> edit and continue working.
> Damn this is a {*filter*}!!! I expected enhancements to the framework, but not
> out and out changes to it's behavior!!!

> > No there is no supported way to point VS.NET 2003 at the 1.0 Framework
for
> > building applications.

> > Sean Campbell
> > 3 Leaf
> > Early and Adopter Web Log
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > > I upgraded my dev machine to VB.Net 2003 from VB.Net 2002. The project
> > > have worked on developed a lot of errors apparently related to the
> > > difference in the framework. Is there a way to specify that my project
> > uses
> > > to 1.0 framework and not the 1.1 framework ?

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:23:26 GMT
 Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002
Lot's of little things were changed most for the better.

You can go here to see what some of the most significant changes were.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

And here is a link to a doc you can look at offline with a detailed list of
all of the changes to methods, classes, properties, etc between 1.0 and 1.1.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

And yes there are things that will break when moving an app from 1.0 to 1.1.
Not many but we've seen them.

Sean Campbell
3 Leaf
Early Adopter Radio Web Log
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> They appear to have made a bunch of changes to the Framework and how it
> behaves. How am I supposed to move a project I just upgraded to 2002 on to
> 2003 so I can use an IDE that is not a pig and then move it to 2004 when
> they will supposedly release an environment as good as VB6 - it willhwve
> edit and continue working.
> Damn this is a {*filter*}!!! I expected enhancements to the framework, but not
> out and out changes to it's behavior!!!

> > No there is no supported way to point VS.NET 2003 at the 1.0 Framework
for
> > building applications.

> > Sean Campbell
> > 3 Leaf
> > Early and Adopter Web Log
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > > I upgraded my dev machine to VB.Net 2003 from VB.Net 2002. The project
> > > have worked on developed a lot of errors apparently related to the
> > > difference in the framework. Is there a way to specify that my project
> > uses
> > > to 1.0 framework and not the 1.1 framework ?

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:03:46 GMT
 Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002
Exhibit 1, just the first of many pulled from a minscule WebService...

Dim objXTR As System.Xml.XmlTextReader

Dim objRequest As RequestSchema

Dim objParm As RequestSchema.ParametersRow

Dim objMobject As RequestSchema.MObjectCallRow

Dim szXML As String

Try

If XMLRequest = vbNullString Then XMLRequest = XMLRequestTemplateTest()
'Testing Code

'Read The Incoming XML into a DataSet

objXTR = New System.Xml.XmlTextReader(XMLRequest,
System.Xml.XmlNodeType.Document, Nothing)

objRequest = New RequestSchema()

objRequest.ReadXml(objXTR)    'Compiler chokes here in 1.1, apparantly
objXTR has to be cast explicitly as an XmlReader, code compile and runs just
fine under 1.0. I have about 25 of these little tweaks in a little tine
project.

Quote:
> Lot's of little things were changed most for the better.

> You can go here to see what some of the most significant changes were.

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> And here is a link to a doc you can look at offline with a detailed list
of
> all of the changes to methods, classes, properties, etc between 1.0 and
1.1.

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> And yes there are things that will break when moving an app from 1.0 to
1.1.
> Not many but we've seen them.

> Sean Campbell
> 3 Leaf
> Early Adopter Radio Web Log
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > They appear to have made a bunch of changes to the Framework and how it
> > behaves. How am I supposed to move a project I just upgraded to 2002 on
> > 2003 so I can use an IDE that is not a pig and then move it to 2004 when
> > they will supposedly release an environment as good as VB6 - it willhwve
> > edit and continue working.
> > Damn this is a {*filter*}!!! I expected enhancements to the framework, but
not
> > out and out changes to it's behavior!!!

> > > No there is no supported way to point VS.NET 2003 at the 1.0 Framework
> for
> > > building applications.

> > > Sean Campbell
> > > 3 Leaf
> > > Early and Adopter Web Log
> > > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > > uses

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:53:14 GMT

1. VS .NET 2002 upgrade to 2003 and CR.NET

2. VS.NET 2003 project back to VS.NET 2002

3. vs 2002 or vs 2003 beta Nov 2002

4. Problem migrating VS.NET 2002 to 2003

5. VB .Net 2003 Standard or VS .Net 2003 Pro for Smart Devices

6. upgrading to VS.Net 2003

7. VS.NET 2003 upgrade options

8. Upgrade to vs.net 2003

9. VS.NET Upgrade to 2003

10. VB.Net Editor keystrokes lag/slow to respond (VS.NET 2003)

11. how to buy upgrade from vs .net 2002

12. VS.net 2002 upgrade