Wheres the magic in VB.NET.
Author Message
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.

Hi,

{

I am concerned that there are more C# websites and also OE is showing about
12000 posts in the C# newsgroup, compared to 8000 in the VB newsgroup.

I like to think that I am sitting on the fence, but when it comes to the
crunch, my loyalty is with BASIC.  What has coursed this migration to C#,
are we only seeing geeks studdying up?  Or will the true VB programmers make
a late migration?

Quote:
}

{

Quote:
}

{

Quote:
}

{

Quote:
}

// comment

// no, this doesnt feel natural

// comment

/*
dsd
sds
ds
/*

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:35:25 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.

Quote:

> I am concerned that there are more C# websites and also OE is showing about
> 12000 posts in the C# newsgroup, compared to 8000 in the VB newsgroup.

> I like to think that I am sitting on the fence, but when it comes to the
> crunch, my loyalty is with BASIC.  What has coursed this migration to C#,
> are we only seeing geeks studdying up?  Or will the true VB programmers make
> a late migration?

The "magic" is in Microsoft's 11th-hour bait-and-switch:

Microsoft Visual Betrayal:

Visual Basic 33 1/3: The Final Insult:

Yes, {*filter*}ia, there really is a VB 7!

Why Johnny Can't Inherit:

The Problem with Implementation Inheritance (Appendix 1)
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Problems Associated with Implementation Inheritance
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:58:20 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.
It's because the people playing with .NET right now are early adopters, and
early adopters tend to be more adventurous.  When the mainstream VB
community moves to .NET, they will move to VB.NET.  Why?  Because there's no
reason not to.  I have yet to see a C# program that couldn't be written in
VB.NET.  Most people will not want to learn something new, just for the sake
of learning something new.

Scott Swigart
.NET Training and Consulting

3 Leaf Solutions, LLC

www.3leafsolutions.com

Quote:
> Hi,

> {

> I am concerned that there are more C# websites and also OE is showing
about
> 12000 posts in the C# newsgroup, compared to 8000 in the VB newsgroup.

> I like to think that I am sitting on the fence, but when it comes to the
> crunch, my loyalty is with BASIC.  What has coursed this migration to C#,
> are we only seeing geeks studdying up?  Or will the true VB programmers
make
> a late migration?
> }

> {
> }

> {

> }

> {
> }

> // comment

> // no, this doesnt feel natural

> // comment

> /*
> dsd
> sds
> ds
> /*

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:10:00 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.
VB.NET or C# is almost a non issue. Just pick the one you prefer. They are
very similar and using one or the other shouldn't be that difficult.

I suggest to rather focus on the Framework Class Library that is what really
brings those languages to life as it provides a fully object oriented view
of the underlying Operation System...

Patrice

> Hi,

> {

> I am concerned that there are more C# websites and also OE is showing
about
> 12000 posts in the C# newsgroup, compared to 8000 in the VB newsgroup.

> I like to think that I am sitting on the fence, but when it comes to the
> crunch, my loyalty is with BASIC.  What has coursed this migration to C#,
> are we only seeing geeks studdying up?  Or will the true VB programmers
make
> a late migration?
> }

> {
> }

> {

> }

> {
> }

> // comment

> // no, this doesnt feel natural

> // comment

> /*
> dsd
> sds
> ds
> /*

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:03:48 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.
The magic is gone. The on-the-fly debugging facility is gone from VB. So why
not use C# or JAVA God's sake. Bill Gates if  you are listening, please put
it back in. Don't dumb down VB to VC++'s level - that's the politics of
democrats and the Justice department. Bring debugging to the CLR and give to
all your languages.

Quote:
> Hi,

> {

> I am concerned that there are more C# websites and also OE is showing
about
> 12000 posts in the C# newsgroup, compared to 8000 in the VB newsgroup.

> I like to think that I am sitting on the fence, but when it comes to the
> crunch, my loyalty is with BASIC.  What has coursed this migration to C#,
> are we only seeing geeks studdying up?  Or will the true VB programmers
make
> a late migration?
> }

> {
> }

> {

> }

> {
> }

> // comment

> // no, this doesnt feel natural

> // comment

> /*
> dsd
> sds
> ds
> /*

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:01:21 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.
"Dumb down" VB?  Your kidding right? I child can write a VB program in 5
minutes? How much more can you dumb down a language?

Quote:
> The magic is gone. The on-the-fly debugging facility is gone from VB. So
why
> not use C# or JAVA God's sake. Bill Gates if  you are listening, please
put
> it back in. Don't dumb down VB to VC++'s level - that's the politics of
> democrats and the Justice department. Bring debugging to the CLR and give
> all your languages.

> > Hi,

> > {

> > I am concerned that there are more C# websites and also OE is showing
> about
> > 12000 posts in the C# newsgroup, compared to 8000 in the VB newsgroup.

> > I like to think that I am sitting on the fence, but when it comes to the
> > crunch, my loyalty is with BASIC.  What has coursed this migration to
C#,
> > are we only seeing geeks studdying up?  Or will the true VB programmers
> make
> > a late migration?
> > }

> > {
> > }

> > {

> > }

> > {
> > }

> > // comment

> > // no, this doesnt feel natural

> > // comment

> > /*
> > dsd
> > sds
> > ds
> > /*

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:17:24 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.

Quote:
> "Dumb down" VB?  Your kidding right? I child can write a VB program in 5
> minutes? How much more can you dumb down a language?

<snip>

VB has been dumbed down in terms of the on-the-fly debugging feature which
was one of the main features of VB and a major productivity plus over
Delphi, Java, C++ etc.

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:15:18 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.
Thankyou for seeing my point. Just because something is more productive to
use does'nt mean it is dumbed down. Making something less productive to use
is dumbing down.

Think about about how many features C has that VB. Then think how many time
you actually needed them. Not many since VB3.

Quote:

> > "Dumb down" VB?  Your kidding right? I child can write a VB program in 5
> > minutes? How much more can you dumb down a language?
> <snip>

> VB has been dumbed down in terms of the on-the-fly debugging feature which
> was one of the main features of VB and a major productivity plus over
> Delphi, Java, C++ etc.

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:39:35 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.
You missed my point. Just because something is more productive to use
does'nt mean it is dumbed down. Making something less productive to use is
dumbing down.

Think about about how many features C has that VB. Then think how many time
you actually needed them. Not many since VB3.

Quote:
> "Dumb down" VB?  Your kidding right? I child can write a VB program in 5
> minutes? How much more can you dumb down a language?

> > The magic is gone. The on-the-fly debugging facility is gone from VB. So
> why
> > not use C# or JAVA God's sake. Bill Gates if  you are listening, please
> put
> > it back in. Don't dumb down VB to VC++'s level - that's the politics of
> > democrats and the Justice department. Bring debugging to the CLR and
give
> > all your languages.

> > > Hi,

> > > {

> > > I am concerned that there are more C# websites and also OE is showing
> > about
> > > 12000 posts in the C# newsgroup, compared to 8000 in the VB newsgroup.

> > > I like to think that I am sitting on the fence, but when it comes to
the
> > > crunch, my loyalty is with BASIC.  What has coursed this migration to
> C#,
> > > are we only seeing geeks studdying up?  Or will the true VB
programmers
> > make
> > > a late migration?
> > > }

> > > {
> > > }

> > > {

> > > }

> > > {
> > > }

> > > // comment

> > > // no, this doesnt feel natural

> > > // comment

> > > /*
> > > dsd
> > > sds
> > > ds
> > > /*

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:39:57 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.

Quote:
> VB has been dumbed down in terms of the on-the-fly debugging feature

That is the IDE, not VB. Don't confuse the tool with the language.

--
Jonathan Allen

Quote:

> > "Dumb down" VB?  Your kidding right? I child can write a VB program in 5
> > minutes? How much more can you dumb down a language?
> <snip>

> VB has been dumbed down in terms of the on-the-fly debugging feature which
> was one of the main features of VB and a major productivity plus over
> Delphi, Java, C++ etc.

Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:39:15 GMT
 Wheres the magic in VB.NET.
Hi JA,

Quote:
> > VB has been dumbed down in terms of the on-the-fly debugging feature

> That is the IDE, not VB. Don't confuse the tool with the language.

The lack of debug on the fly features is due to the compiler, not the IDE.

Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:47:08 GMT

1. wheres the class building in vb.net?

2. .NET Magic Library by Crownwood Consulting Ltd.

3. Can I send a Magic Bullet from a VB program

4. VB vs. Magic

5. ActiveX interface magic requested (advanced ActiveX/VB/MFC question)

6. Magic Packets from VB

7. Wheres the Application object?

8. Wheres the MIDL Compilier

9. Wheres the datacontrol?

10. wheres ADO documentation in Microsoft books

11. VB.NET: Steps for Converting a Windows .NET Application to a Web .NET Application

12. ADO.NET with ASP.NET using VB.NET