BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT: Visual Basic .NET Solutions Toolkit
Author Message
 BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT: Visual Basic .NET Solutions Toolkit

Wrox Press and Magenic Technologies Inc. are please to announce their new
book, Visual Basic .NET Solutions Toolkit: 30 Practical Components for
.NET

This book is a code library: it is a collection of components, classes,
or nuggets of functionality that you can use, sometimes straight "out-of-
the-box", sometimes with minimal tweaking. Each component is a flexible
application building block, ready to fit neatly into your coding
projects. Their usefulness stems from their encapsulation of code that is
often common to many applications.

This book is also a discovery tool. Through the classes contained within
this book, you can explore how the .NET Framework can be used to solve
common problems. Each class also presents a set of programming techniques
which take advantage of .NET's object orientation and extensive class
library.

In writing this book, the authors' aim was threefold. First it is a
simple catalogue of code, readily usable (and re-usable) that should
allow you to speed up your development time. Second it is a collection of
practical classes, not simple examples: these classes have been chosen
for their usefulness in everyday coding. And third, by following a
structured approach, each class illustrate a particular aspect of .NET
Development, enabling you the reader to learn from them and apply these
techniques to your own coding.

Whether you are new to .NET or have been working with it for some time,
this book has something for you. You might want to read through the
design choices that the authors have made when designing their solutions
or you might implement the code straight away in your own applications.

The book is organized in 5 sections: Part 1 includes 6 Application
components, Part 2 is formed of 6 GUI & Graphics based controls and
classes, Part 3 is a set of 7 Network and Windows File System classes,
Part 4 contains 6 security classes and Part 5 is a set of 5
implementations of well known patterns or algorithms.

Part 1: Application Components
Chapter 1: Splash Screen
Chapter 2: Product Licensing
Chapter 3: Application Settings Writer
Chapter 4: Autodeploy
Chapter 5: Local/Remote Process Launcher
Chapter 6: Command-Line Argument Parser
Part 2: GUI and Graphics
Chapter 7: Validation Textbox
Chapter 8: Regular Expression Textbox
Chapter 9: Required Field Validator
Chapter 10: Word-Highlighting RichTextbox
Chapter 11: ListView Sorter
Chapter 12: Text Image Generator
Part 3: Network and File System
Chapter 13: Stream Helper
Chapter 14: Smart Socket
Chapter 15: Memory Mapped File Stream
Chapter 16: MP3 ID3v1.1 Tag Editor
Chapter 17: Folder Browser
Chapter 18: Interface Locator
Chapter 19: PeopleSearcher
Part 4: Security
Chapter 20: Encrypted Communicator
Chapter 21: XML Signing and Verification
Chapter 22: File System Security
Chapter 23: Principal Logon
Chapter 24: Windows Logon
Chapter 25: XML Logon
Part 5: Patterns and Algorithms
Chapter 26: Singleton Template
Chapter 27: Doubly Linked List
Chapter 28: Binary Search Tree
Chapter 29: CRC-32 Calculator
Chapter 30: Huffman Encoding

About Magenic

Magenic is one of the United States' premiere Microsoft Gold Certified
Partners. Magenic's consultants work with a wide variety of clients,
ranging from ISV's to innovative Fortune 1000 companies. Their commitment
to training is illustrated by their constant involvement in the
publication of books and their presence at all the major Microsoft
related conferences both in the US and abroad. Rocky Lhotka is the
bestselling author of several Visual Basic and Visual Basic .NET titles
and through this book he restates his commitment to the VB community of
developers.

Magenic Technologies
www.magenic.com

For more information visit this book's web page at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Benjamin Hickman
Editor

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:30:58 GMT
 BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT: Visual Basic .NET Solutions Toolkit
I would like to see the download code or buy the book, but the wrox site
doesnt seem to work.  when I register, 3 times and 20 minutes later, the
site fails.  maybe thousands of developers have wanted this code so much its
crashing the site.

Quote:

> [...]

> Chapter 28: Binary Search Tree
> Chapter 29: CRC-32 Calculator
> Chapter 30: Huffman Encoding

> About Magenic

> Magenic is one of the United States' premiere Microsoft Gold Certified
> Partners. Magenic's consultants work with a wide variety of clients,
> ranging from ISV's to innovative Fortune 1000 companies. Their commitment
> to training is illustrated by their constant involvement in the
> publication of books and their presence at all the major Microsoft
> related conferences both in the US and abroad. Rocky Lhotka is the
> bestselling author of several Visual Basic and Visual Basic .NET titles
> and through this book he restates his commitment to the VB community of
> developers.

> Magenic Technologies
> www.magenic.com

> For more information visit this book's web page at:

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:48:02 GMT
 BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT: Visual Basic .NET Solutions Toolkit
When I try to dl the code i only get descriptions of other books....
What's wrong?

Quote:
> [...]

> > Chapter 29: CRC-32 Calculator
> > Chapter 30: Huffman Encoding

> > About Magenic

> > Magenic is one of the United States' premiere Microsoft Gold Certified
> > Partners. Magenic's consultants work with a wide variety of clients,
> > ranging from ISV's to innovative Fortune 1000 companies. Their
commitment
> > to training is illustrated by their constant involvement in the
> > publication of books and their presence at all the major Microsoft
> > related conferences both in the US and abroad. Rocky Lhotka is the
> > bestselling author of several Visual Basic and Visual Basic .NET titles
> > and through this book he restates his commitment to the VB community of
> > developers.

> > Magenic Technologies
> > www.magenic.com

> > For more information visit this book's web page at:

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:35:01 GMT
 BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT: Visual Basic .NET Solutions Toolkit

Quote:
> I would like to see the download code or buy the book, but the wrox site
> doesnt seem to work.  when I register, 3 times and 20 minutes later, the
> site fails.  maybe thousands of developers have wanted this code so much
its
> crashing the site.

Does seem like the downloads don't work well from Wrox.  However, you can
get around it.  Note the name of the download file.  Then go directly to
their FTP page (it shows up when you start to download).  You can copy the
files quickly and easily from there.

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:10:46 GMT

1. BOOK Announcement: Visual Basic .NET Code Security Handbook

2. Q: Visual Basic 4 expert solutions BOOK Q

3. Advanced Visual Basic.Net Books

4. Book: Beginning Visual Basic .NET Databases

5. VISUAL BASIC .NET COPY BOOKS?

6. PowerToys for Visual Studio .NET 2003 Project Announcement

7. Visual Studio.NET vs Visual Basic.NET

8. Announcement: New GIS/Mapping OCX toolkit

9. do Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Basic .NET version beta Working Both

10. Difference between Visual Basic 6 and Visual Basic.Net

11. Preparing Your Visual Basic 6.0 Applications for the Upgrade to Visual Basic.NET

12. Update: Preliminary Announcement of The Visual Basic Project