ADO.Net/ASP.Net strategies for tabulating resultsets
Author Message
 ADO.Net/ASP.Net strategies for tabulating resultsets

One common requirement for programs is to display tabulated data (often)
resulting from an SQL query.  In Web applications the data is usually
rendered in pages so that a user can navigate through them to avoid having
all the data displayed in one lump.

However, when a user decides to move pages, there are three obvious
strategies possible for use in shipping the data from the Web server to the
browser :

1. Read the whole resultset into memory.
This is good in that no further database accessed would be necessary to page
through the results, but it is hardly extensible - if there are lots of
users and lots of records possible for each, this potentially places quite a
strain on server resources.

2. Read a page at time as required from the database.
This is good in that (unlike 1.) it is reasonably extensible, however it
does move the bottleneck towards the database. If connection pooling is not
possible there are added costs in setting up and tearing down the connection
each time.

3. Read the top (say) 100 records in only, but allow the resultsset to be
filtered on.
This seems most resource friendly of all, and additionally all the data
could be sent across on separate pages (some hidden) in one go, the
navigation buttons showing and hiding the relevent page as required without
any trips to the server being required, unless filtering is done.  Filtering
effectively means that even though only (say) 100 records are possible at
any one time any record in the database can be viewed if you know how to get
to it.

What strategies are people out there using, particularly those with with
mission critical systems?

I notice that the .Net DataGrid does not seem to like paging unless it takes
its data from a DataSet - which implies that the DataGrid works in
disconnected mode and is therefore using strategy 1.  Does this mean that
this control is not suitable for serious applications or is there a
different way of using it.

Your thoughts and experiences are welcome.

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:41:33 GMT
 ADO.Net/ASP.Net strategies for tabulating resultsets
Hi,

having recently completed an ADO.net course  I was also
left with similar questions.

From my understanding you must carefully design your
approach to your needs. An application I recently wrote
required A large data data set to be often displayed to a
number of browsers.

Instead of creating a new data set for each browser
request on the Web Server, It was more economical for me
to use the 'application.state' object to store the data
set.

as the data remained static over a duration of time, I was
able to just refresh this dataset every few minutes, the
browsers would then share the dataset.

regards

Simon

Quote:

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:24:28 GMT

1. ADO.NET with ASP.NET using VB.NET

2. ADO.Net to fetch ActiveDirectory this function bugs in Asp.net but works in Vb.n

3. Migration to .NET:ASP.NET with ADO

4. Crystal Reports from ASP.NET without compiling VB.NET on SQL/ADO changes

5. Survey on ASP/VS6.0 versus ASP.NET/VS.NET

6. Visual Basic.NET , ASP or ASP.NET

7. VB6/ASP vs .NET/ASP.NET development

8. Know anyone a good .NET/C#/Vb.net/ASP.NET/ADO.NET message board/mailing list/newsletter???????

9. REXEC from ASP.NET or VB.NET

10. VB.net and asp.net

11. VB.net and ASP.net what is the difference

12. ASP.net VB.Net Stored Procedures in SQL Server