Property Browser - Can't see Usercontrol Properties
Author Message
 Property Browser - Can't see Usercontrol Properties

Well I just went thru 17000+ messages on the newsgroup and I seem to have
the opposite problem form everybody else with the Property Browser.

They want to hide properties, and I can't see mine.

Visual Studio 2003 Final Beta - VB.net

Noticed this in a larger project,  so I tried a test project to simplify the
problem...

Create a New Project..
Add a UserControl1 to it..
Add a property "Test" to the UserControl..
Start/End the project so the usercontrol shows in the toolbox..
Add a Usercontrol1 to form1..

At this point I should be able to see Property "Test" as a property of
Usercontrol1 in the Property Browser, but I can't.

I've tried <browsable(true)> _ on the property but it didn't help

Property "Test" does show in Intelisence

Here's Property "Test" in case it matters

     Public Property test(ByVal index As Integer) As Integer
          Get

          End Get
          Set(ByVal Value As Integer)

          End Set
     End Property

Tue, 17 May 2005 23:18:56 GMT
 Property Browser - Can't see Usercontrol Properties
Hello Chuck:

Have you included the project DLL as part of your references?

Quote:
> Well I just went thru 17000+ messages on the newsgroup and I seem to have
> the opposite problem form everybody else with the Property Browser.

> They want to hide properties, and I can't see mine.

> Visual Studio 2003 Final Beta - VB.net

> Noticed this in a larger project,  so I tried a test project to simplify
the
> problem...

> Create a New Project..
> Add a UserControl1 to it..
> Add a property "Test" to the UserControl..
> Start/End the project so the usercontrol shows in the toolbox..
> Add a Usercontrol1 to form1..

> At this point I should be able to see Property "Test" as a property of
> Usercontrol1 in the Property Browser, but I can't.

> I've tried <browsable(true)> _ on the property but it didn't help

> Property "Test" does show in Intelisence

> Here's Property "Test" in case it matters

>      Public Property test(ByVal index As Integer) As Integer
>           Get

>           End Get
>           Set(ByVal Value As Integer)

>           End Set
>      End Property

Wed, 18 May 2005 06:57:04 GMT
 Property Browser - Can't see Usercontrol Properties
Richard,

First try had the usercontrol in the Main project ("WindowsApplication1").
In this case there wasn't a dll to reference.

Created a WindowsControlLibrary Project in the same solution,
then add a reference to it in the WindowsApplication.
Same result, could add the user control to the form and see all the
standard properties, but not the "test" property.

A further point.. I had to manualy add the Usercontrol to the toolbox..
Is that right or is it another clue as to what could be wrong???

Thanks for your time...  Chuck

Wed, 18 May 2005 07:37:19 GMT
 Property Browser - Can't see Usercontrol Properties
Hi,

I tried what you said and I was able to see the property in the properties
window at design time. Since it seems to be an IDE issue, is it possible
that the problem is caused by that you are using a beta version of Visual
Studio.NET? Is it possible for you to try the same assembly on RTM version
of VS.NET? This way, we are very likely be able to tell if the problem is
assembly related or IDE related. HTH.

Regards,
Yan Liu

Fri, 20 May 2005 12:57:52 GMT
 Property Browser - Can't see Usercontrol Properties
Yan,

I'm using VS.Net 2003 final beta, downloaded from msdn...  haven't received
it in my Enterprise Subscription DVDs yet.

I don't know what was causing it but it fixed it's self.    (I hate it when
that happens <grin>)

I don't have the version of the assembly that had the problem anymore ....
(see above)

If it reoccurs I'll let you know.

At the time it happened, I had some classes with fairly involved
interrelationships, and very little error
checking.  As I add the error checking the problem went away....

Thanks for your time
Chuck Welborn

btw - If you've got an extra password for the Beta Site laying around, I can
find a good home for it <grin>

Sat, 21 May 2005 10:17:28 GMT

1. Parent UserControl's Properties in a UserControl (placed on another UserControl)

2. UserControl properties don't appear in Object Browser

3. VB6 Text property of UserControl does not work with UpDown Control's buddy property

4. Usercontrol Text property not visible in property window

5. Display Text Property of a UserControl in the Property Window

6. Usercontrol Text property not visible in property window

7. Edit usercontrol property in property window

8. UserControl and Property - Property Window

9. Browser 'window' properties

10. Usercontrol don't save the text property.

11. Usercontrol's text property

12. Using the Property Browser for aetting app Properties.